PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Christians talk differently and is it offensive to non-Christians?

janelle
11-10-2003, 01:37 PM
A remark of mine in OT was censored but I don't think it was a bad comment. This made me think. Do Christians talk differntly than non-Christians like Southeners speak differently?

Can this cause offense when Christians refer to Jesus and God in conversations? How? I know some people who say "Praise God" when something goes right but does this offend others? :confused: :confused: :confused:

How do you feel when you see someone say grace before meals in a restaurant?

fatesfaery
11-10-2003, 02:45 PM
I do believe christians tend to talk differently than non-christians.In my experience people who are deeply religious tend to see all things through their religious beliefs(does that make sense?)

Does it bother me when I see someone say grace?.....absolutely not. I come from a christian family, I accepted long ago that my family is going to say grace before meals. It doesn't offend me....that's just the way things are.

My son was pagan(Druidism), his daughter's mother is catholic, his son's mother is pagan, but her grandfather is a baptist minister. My son even suggested that Kayleigh (his daughter) be christened if that was what her mother wanted. He knew that Ian (his son) would spend many Sundays in church. All he asked was that they be allowed to follow the path that they chose when they were old enough to make those choices.

I think religion, any religion is a wonderful thing. It doesn't bother me for christians to talk about their religion.....I'd like to learn as much as I can about differnt religions.But I often find pagans being condemned by christians for their beliefs, but to that pagan, their belief system is just as true and just as valid as christianity is to a christian.

I think in a forum like this, any kind of religious comment does belong in this topic and not Offtopic.....

Merry99%
11-10-2003, 04:27 PM
As a southern christian who has been many times misinterpreted:D I don't think we as either or both speak differently,but people certainly hear differently LOL and it goes both ways;)
IMO when someone is so easily offended by something most times they are looking for something to offend them more than actually considering whats being said.Not talking about here,but I've been around;)

Syrinx
11-10-2003, 05:28 PM
I think it all depends on what the person is saying. I'm a Pagan, but I certainly don't take offense when people sign off emails with "God bless" or something along those lines or when people use expressions like that in conversation. But if someone makes religious comments that put down other people's beliefs, I do find that offensive.

From what I've noticed, some Christians are more likely to take offense than non-Christians. Don't some denominations consider the casual expressions that other Christians use to be part of taking the Lord's name in vain?

cindylee
11-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Psa 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you have the love of Christ as a Christian you will not be easily offended at all. We are not to worry about what others say or do anyway but to focus on ourselves. God alone gives the faith, He alone convicts, He alone saves. I cannot save myself even and I surely can't save anyone else. It is great peace to rest in this and know He is in control at all times and there is nothing that can change that.
I think a lot of people are very easily offended these days and it is not worth it to get upset over what someone said or didn't say. Life is too short for all of us and if you have a choice to be sad or to be happy, choose happiness. :)

ckerr4
11-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Cindylee, I have never heard a Christian say this before, but it is a most profound attitude. I hope to encounter it again, and I will think over your words myself.

(((cindylee)))

cindylee
11-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Aw thank you ckerr! ((((hugs)))) :):)

curlymae29
11-14-2003, 01:33 AM
Yes, I do believe we speak differently and we view the world differently. And sadly many take what we say offensively reguardless of how we say it. Some think that you can separate your life into little sections, when for Christians, it is a whole lifestyle. God should be in every aspect of our lives. Not just one area.

chooch
11-18-2003, 02:34 PM
we are supposed to be viewed differently. We are supposed to be identified by what we do and say, not by actually telling people, "We are Christians." I think sometimes we are offensive to other people for many reasons. One because it makes some people uncomfortable to talk about God and Jesus, you are looked upon (by some people) as a religious kook or intolerant of others' views.

The world is a very sad place with people in it who accept many things that Jesus would not have tolerated (not pointing any fingers, I also have done many things I am sure Jesus would not approve of) For example, my brother went to see the Texas Chain saw masscre movie (which I do not agree with but it was his decision) Anyway, he said there were children there 6-7 years old with their parents watching the movie. I have also known many children very young, whose parents let them watch whatever they want on the television in their room-which many times are R rated films with graphic sexual content and violence.

When we go against the grain, so to speak, and say, "Do you really think your child should be here or doing that?" Or say grace in a restaurant, some people get all bent out of shape or stare at you like your from outerspace. I think the reason being they know the things they are doing are wrong to begin with or they are on a different level in their spirituality. I am definitely not trying to put anyone down because I know I am not better than anyone else. I was just trying to start a little conversation and see what others believe about this topic.
God bless you all!