PDA

View Full Version : Smithtown SD NY really bites...

sahmsfreeb
11-10-2003, 01:24 PM
i am so so upset i could cry again just thinking about how they refused my son today for speech.... hes 5 he needs speech no one can understand him..... whay are they letting my son get through the cracks... its not fair... i so want to hate all of them but i cant... i just want my son to get help....yes i am desparate...

YYounghouse
11-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by sahmsfreeb
i am so so upset i could cry again just thinking about how they refused my son today for speech.... hes 5 he needs speech no one can understand him..... whay are they letting my son get through the cracks... its not fair... i so want to hate all of them but i cant... i just want my son to get help....yes i am desparate...

You are the parent.
Find a speech therapist.
work for him.
go to the library
find a way to help.
YOU ARE NOT POWERLESS.
there are options.
don't pout,
work it out.

ttistin
11-10-2003, 02:47 PM
I am not sure on this, so If I am wrong just ignore me lol

anyway cant you go to his regular dr and have them refer you to a speech therapist? or at least give you a name of someone.

I understand how upset you must be, all we as parents want to do is what is best for our kids. When someone tells us no they wont help our child it hurts deeply, but you cant stop. There are people out there that will help your son, but it looks like you are going to have to be the person to find them.

{{{{HUGS}}}} I wish you all the best of luck. You and your son will be in my thoughts.

sahmsfreeb
11-10-2003, 04:27 PM
i had a speech therepist for him the insurance ran out they only cover 30 sessions...and that doctor dropped us the moment the money ran out. they basically told me that they needed the space and time for paying customers.. he was one of the better doctors in the area.

i have no clue where to begin...i am looking for someone who has gone though this and can help me into the right directions.
i am very mad that i have to fight for speech for my child. why do i feel like i have to have a masters degree to out wit those who hold the power over me and my child.

a friend of mine just called me and gave me the phone number of another doctor who might be willing to help. so i will be giving that doctor a call in the morning.

ajksmom
11-10-2003, 06:35 PM
Do you have a college around you? I know a friend of mine took her daughter to the local college, Radford University that has nursing and stuff. The students and teachers worked with her and I think they only charged her something like $5.00 a visit, and they did a great job with her.

CaptCritter
11-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Ugh, been there done that.

I went to my Dr. and he refered me to the county, they came out and met my 2 year old son who didn't speak at all and told us "he is a boy, one day he'll wake up and just start talking", yeah right! I had to get him tested my self through The Center for the Disabled, where he qualified for services, he now recieves speech, ocuaptional, social work...the whole nine yards and because he is classified "a preschooler with disabilities" it is all funded through the county, and it will continue when he goes to school next year. Don't give up, call your schools or The Center ( i see your a NYer too although not sure where you are) keep pushing people, don't stop until you get what you want, if we had given up my son would never be doing as well as he is. Good luck!!