PDA

View Full Version : Give me some help here!!!

jennirv4967
11-10-2003, 08:02 AM
I just got my second rejection in 6 days on jobs I interviewed for. The first job, they strung me alone for over a month on interviews, then having to talk to my boss (which put my current job in jeopardy)...then decided to hire someone who was their back-up secretary for 3 months saying I didn't have a financial background.

Just interviewed for another job in sales, and was told I wasn't hired because I didn't have a sales background.

Well hello... how the heck am I supposed to get these backgrounds when no one will hire me?? And what the heck is wrong with people trying to better themselves? It seems like if you're a secretary, that's all you'll ever been seen as, and no one will let you try to better yourself. What's the use of going to school for the next 10 years to get a bachelor's degree when no one will care because I'm just a secretary.

Sorry... I'm just fed up. And I'm tired of people telling me to keep applying..what's the use?? Like I don't hate myself enough without the constant rejection. :(

Kelsey1224
11-10-2003, 08:20 AM
I'm sorry you are going through this...BUT getting a degree will absolutely open doors. I know because I happened to me. And yes...I was "just" a secretary. I didn't even complete my bachelor's degree until I was 34 and I was 37 when I completed my Master's degree. All the time I was going to school I was working full time, married and raising 2 children.

It absolutely makes the difference and it opens the doors. My jobs haven't even been in the same discipline as my degrees...but it shows perspective employers that you can set long-term goals AND COMPLETE THEM!!!

My suggestion to you is to find a different secretarial job at a place that does have opportunities for advancement. It is hard to try and change careers if employers already have better qualified candidates for the jobs for which you are applying. However...if you are working someplace already...then you might have a better opportunity to advance.

And...if you think your current employer is NOT going to give you the best reference...then be honest with a perspective employer ahead of time. Ask them not to contact your current employer and then explain the circumstances.

I'm sorry you are so discouraged. But...you can make changes in your life. KEEP GOING TO SCHOOL!

Oh...and by the way...just having a degree allowed me to ask for an immediate 20% increase in my salary when I changed jobs! It was the degree which made the difference.

schsa
11-10-2003, 08:26 AM
You just haven't found the right job. And always make it very clear not to contact your current employer.

I probably went through a dozen different interviews with different companies before I found my current job. I even had 5 interviews with one company before they sent me a letter saying that they weren't interested (and I an very glad that I didn't get that job). Job hunting is a game of odds. You are eventually going to find the right company and the right job but it takes time and alot of searching.

Don't give up so easily. There is someone out there looking for you and they are sending letters to people they have talked to because that's not the person they want, they want you. It will happen.