PDA

View Full Version : ..and in nearby WEIRD news..

sharinbo
11-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Town passes ordinance requiring gun ownership

GEUDA SPRINGS, Kansas, Nov. 7 - An entire Kansas town will soon be armed after a new law has been passed in Geuda Springs. The city law mandates "every head of household" in Geuda Springs must own a gun.

GEUDA SPRINGS, KANSAS has one paved road, about 50 homes and a city ordinance requiring all of them to have a gun.
The ordinance will go into effect immediately after it's published in the local paper. It reads, "that in order to provide for emergency management of the city, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition."
The ordinance passed here on Monday by a three to two vote. But surprisingly, or not, no one who voted for it would talk to us, not even the mayor, who we tracked down at the local co-op, would not go on camera.
"I'm not going to talk to you about it, simple as that. Just get back in your car and go home," the mayor told us.
"I think it's crazy," said resident, Nathan Cook.
Cook and Scott Ferguson were the two dissenting votes. They say the ordinance was presented and passed all on the same night, leaving even them shaking their heads and wondering why.
"The only explanation that was given that night was to show the surrounding communities around us that we weren't afraid to own a firearm," said Cook.
Still the sun hasn't set on the issue yet. The city attorney is looking over the law to see if it's even legal.
There are provisions in the law that say convicted felons and those with "religious beliefs against gun ownership" don't have to comply.
Here's the kicker: the town doesn't have a police department, so there's no one to enforce the ordinance.

Jolie Rouge
11-09-2003, 10:20 PM
can i please post this in the "weird news thread" ? PLEASE ??

sharinbo
11-09-2003, 10:27 PM
lol I don't see why not...

justme23
11-09-2003, 11:11 PM
I have nothing against guns and would like to get my license to carry one... however, if I was told I HAD to own one, I would pack up and move... yesterday.