PDA

View Full Version : For the old dog

NoFoolPrice
11-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Yeah I know, I've been hitting vent & whine every few months now for the old dog, but he's freaking me out pretty bad now. I've pretty much had a houseful this past week, took in some homeless, whole other story, ran from the So Cali fires and I haven't been paying much attention to the old man with this houseful of kids I've been dealing with. My best friend came over last night and said, "what's wrong with Ciao?" He was lying in the front yard and he didn't get up to greet them, just wagged his tail. He has been following me everywhere the past few months, I swear he won't even let me shower without coming in and putting himself between me and the door, he just got super protective. He slept in the living room last night instead of next to my bed and I could hardly get him to go out this morning. He's acting just like my old cat did last year, she turned 19 and distanced herself from me after a couple of years of freaking out if I was out of her sight. Something else weird, Tara got cancer and had all these growths on her chests and he has growths in the same spots, his breathing has gotten hard just like hers was too. I finally put her to sleep, one of the hardest things I've ever done. Oh please, I don't want to have Ciao put to sleep too, I want him to just die peacefully in his sleep, it's been just over a year since Tara and I don't want to do it again. Lord, this dog is gorgeous, he's red chow and lab mix, 100 lbs., all the neighborhood kids call him the lion dog. Once at Yosemite a mechanic opened the back of my Bronco and took off running, he thought I had a bear in the back. I got him from some guy off the street 13 years ago, he had never even been on a leash, and one week later this guy I know that trains police dogs had him taking commands in German. Such a good dog! I used to take him everywhere, he weighed more than me and Lord only knows how many times he has kept me from harm. It's so hard to believe that we are at the end, but he keeps telling me it's so, he doesn't want to get up or eat and his breathing is really labored. I'd take him to our vet, but I already know the answer, geeze, I had my old cat in there so many times begging him to do something to save her that my vet actually cried when we put her down. I'm really scared, not for him, but for me, this one is going to hurt and I don't know how to deal. I'm so tired of losses, my dad and grandma and then I had to watch my best friend die a slow painful death for a year and then my Tara Belle O'Hara and now my dog wants to go and I don't want to let him go. I see now what I always heard, that the hardest thing about getting older is losing others but I thought by then I would have the wisdom and strength to deal with it. Well, I don't, I'm pissed and scared and I can't imagine life without my sidekick at my heels. Such a strange mix of emotions, just like when I lost my best friend, part of me wants to hold him and love him and tell him it's ok to pass on and leave the pain behind, but another part of me wants to kick him and tell him to get off his butt because there is no way he is leaving me here alone so get up and act alive, for God's sake! The stupid dog will not get up and I don't know what to do. I am not taking him to the vet to be put to sleep, it was awful with Tara, watching her lie there and try to catch her breath after he gave her the injection and I won't do it with Ciao, I will put a bullet in his head before I watch him suffer like that. I really don't want to do this, I want to turn back the clock or at the least, not watch death again, not to my guy. Dang, I watched this guy take down two pit bulls that dared invade his yard not five years ago and now he has the nerve to act like an old man. Even turned gassy a few months ago, sleeps right next to my bed and farts and snores all night and the rheumatism got to him, not so easy to get up now but I thought we had a couple good years left. And no matter how much I write and cry and vent, I have to turn around and deal with this because I have a son and dot that grew up with him and it is going to tear them up so I have to act all wise and comforting and all that crap that I don't feel at all but will have to act for them. After Tara I said, 'no more cats,'and although I have come close because I would so love to have another little kitter kat, I can't take the pain, geeze, that girl slept with me for 19 years, and of couse I knew losing Ciao was inevitable, but no more, my plan is to wait another 20 years to get another pet so they die after me and I don't have to watch them die. Ha, let my beloved pets bury me instead! Whew, I needed this vent pretty bad, I do feel a little bit better and I am going to go get the camera and take some more pics of the old man and yeah, maybe I will kick him, lol. Nah, I guarantee he will die with dignity and probably in my arms and I will dig a hole and bury him next to Tara in the front yard under the lemon tree and I will try to stop whining and be grateful and proud for this wonderful animal that some homeless guy told me to take home and take care of. I have often wished I could find that guy and tell him, "dude, you did the right thing, the dog has had a great life." I don't know how he is going to go, Tara really withdrew and stopped eating and wanted to be left totally alone, after sleeping on my head for 19 years suddenly she wanted to be left alone, and Ciao slept in the living room last night whereas he's always slept next to my bed, so maybe he is going to do the same thing. I think I will play it by ear and see what he wants to do. He's sleeping now and chasing rabbits, those big old paws get to moving and he has this wonderful deep woof, he loves chasing rabbits in his dreams. Okey doke, I'm feeling a bit better, a nice long vent always helps. I try to not abuse the vent and whine board, but sometimes you just gotta piss and moan and I thank you for listening, it's time to go kick the dog.

schsa
11-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Time to take Ciao to the vet and have him checked out. He's an old guy and they recommend that older dogs visit the vet every six months. He may be acting this way just because of old age but you won't know until you talk to the vet.

You have had a wonderful companion. Treat him with the respect and love he deserves.

NoFoolPrice
11-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks Raven, I needed that! Really, isn't it funny how a genuine big old warm hug can make such a difference? I need not tell you BBS's about that though...

gemini26
11-09-2003, 10:36 AM
I feel for you. Had a buddy I had to put down. He followed me everywhere too. Was so very hard but best thing for him. Please have him checked out maybe it is just something he needs some meds for. You never know. Just hope and pray and mine are with you too!! {{nofoolprice}}

NoFoolPrice
11-09-2003, 10:45 AM
It's cancer, it's the same thing that killed Tara. All of a sudden he has giant lumps on his neck and chest and no, I know that they can't be removed and the vet will just look at me sympathetically. He's old and it is his time, we are not going to go through superfluous surgeries. It's not that I don't appreciate the visits to the vet, he has his file with all his shots up to date and exams and all, it's just that I have to be realistic and know that the vet can only do so much. Believe me, I would love a medical miracle, but the fact is that he's an old man and it is his time to go and like it or not, I have to accept that.

gemini26
11-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. I missed that. My buddy had partial paralysis and seemed to be coming back. I had a dream that he started peeing blood and two nights later as I was letting him in he started doing exactly that. I said my good-byes and my husband put him down for me. I wish you strength as you go through this trying time.

NoFoolPrice
11-09-2003, 10:54 AM
you know you are close to someone when you dream about them and it comes true, doesn't get much closer than that, gemini, my heart goes out to you.

AweWoman
11-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Wow! I know exactly how you feel. Almost 2 years ago I had to put my beloved English Springer Spaniel down due to cancer of the bladder (transitional cell carcinoma). It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make and to this day there isn't a day that goes by where I don't remember her.

Nothing anyone says will make it any easier, but when they start distancing themselves from you that is a big sign.

Unicornmom77
11-09-2003, 01:40 PM
NoFoolPrice, You have the tears streaming down my face. My kids want to know what is so sad. I fell the greatest sympathy for you. What a treasured soul you have there, I pray that you can find peace with his passing. I feel so badly for you, All I can say is What a wonderfull friend you have had, I am so sorry to hear you are losing him.

Merry99%
11-09-2003, 10:47 PM
So sorry you and your companion are having to endure this.I had to do the same last month,my Dusty(part lab too) also had cancer,I was lucky,he lived years longer than expected without obvious pain until the last whe it got in his bones,it made it no easier when the time came though:( The vet came to my house,it cost more but was worth it,I got to hold Dusty and comfort him,and it was a sigh of relief from him when he passed,he relaxed and pain left him,if I'd know he was in that much pain,I would have let him go sooner.It was a heartbreaking experience,but easier than any other options were.It only hurt him when the needle went in.I only wish I had played music,the silence was bad.
The vet sent a card and the words really were a comfort,I hope they help you as you heal the heartache.They were;

Our loved ones never really leave us.They live on in the happy memories of times shared together.
Sometimes the kindest decisions are the hardest.

marcy122
11-10-2003, 02:16 AM
hugs to you all. I'm crying as I read this thread, thinking about the times I've been through this.
Knowing that they will be out of pain doesn't make it any easier.

brooks45
11-11-2003, 12:41 AM
(((((((nofoolprice)))))))
Iam so sorry! I had to take and put down my poodle at the vets,, she was 19 years of age just last year! she also had some kind of tumor around her eyes! And the vet said as long as she eats and wags her tail she is happy at home with us and the vet said when that stops its time!! My heart is right there with u hun! hang in there!

swoose
11-11-2003, 02:04 PM
I feel your pain more than you can know. We lost both of our Australian Shepherds last week within days of each other. They were fine the week before. It wasn't parvo. We think they may have been poisoned by a psycho neighbor. They were beautiful dogs and we all loved them dearly. My dh came home with a new mutt puppy and I guarantee he will never be an outside dog. Pets are not children but they are definitely beloved family members. {{{{{{{{NoFoolPrice}}}}}}}

Kelsey1224
11-11-2003, 03:20 PM
I feel for you. We have an old cocker spaniel who has cancer and she wasn't suppose to live as long as she has.

I will tell you that all the tumors in your dog's body may not be malignant. We were freaking out because our dog, Daisy, has these as well. She was diagnosed with melanoma in her mouth well over a year ago. So when she started showing these tumors on her sides, we assumed that the cancer had spread there.

After we had them checked out by the vet, he told us that they were just fatty benign tumors that were of no concern. He said that they might cause her some discomfort sometimes...but that they were nothing to be worried about.

Take your beloved Ciao to the vet. There may be things that could make his quality of life better. He is suffering now and you don't want him to do that. He has served you so faithfully over the years that he deserves the best of care.

Just because your kitty died doesn't mean that he will too.

I'm also sorry that you had such a negative experience when they put your kitty down. I was there when they put both of my last two dog's to sleep and it was extremely peaceful. They just fell asleep in our arms. Both hubby and I were holding and petting them. It was very gentle. There was no struggle.

moogle
11-12-2003, 03:58 PM
You need to do what is best for Ciao!!! I know it isn't easy, but you know in your heart it is the right thing to do.

I've had to deal with deaths of 7 cats over the past 36 years. 2 of them I had from the time I was 8 until I was 24. They went within a couple weeks of each other. Then I lost a kitten (5 months old) to a fast growing cancer. After that I acquired a total of four cats who I had for many years. George went next, we aren't sure what was wrong with him - all my cats are house cats. Then we lost Buki to cancer. We operated once, and it came back in 3 weeks. The vet said we could try agian, but it would probably come back again. I didn't want to put her through it. Then we lost Max to liver failure. He was a ripe old 19. Then Sadie had kidney failure. We tried to treat it, but treatment didn't work. I held her as I did many of the others as they were put to sleep. She couldn't hardly walk - it was definately her time. A few minutes after she was gone (the vet came here and gave her the shot), I looked and saw her walking down the hallway. I looked away, then looked back to make sure I wasn't seeing things. She was still there, walking just fine. I honestly believe that she was letting me know she was better off.

And - we now have 2 more cats who I will probably out live. I love them as other people love their children. I couldn't imagine living without them. Heving them get sick, and having to have them euthanized is not easy. It never gets any easier, believe me. But they add so much to our lives, and think about how great we make their lives.

My heart goes out to you! Do what is best for Ciao.

Please don't say you won't get another pet! You obviously love the ones you have had.

TX_Cowgirl
11-13-2003, 06:09 AM
I agree with moogle even though its a hard thing you need to do the right thing..Especially if he is suffering..I mean what kinda life is that? To me that is no Life..I know its a hard thing and i feel for you...
Good wishes to you and Ciao

Kelsey1224
11-13-2003, 08:10 AM
I just wanted to say one thing. Losing a pet is devastating...particularly one who has been part of your life for as long as Ciao has been. However, to say you will never get another pet again because the grief is too unbearable negates the joy that they gave you all the years you had them.

It's like saying I don't ever want to fall in love because I might get hurt.

George Carlin has an entire routine about pets. He says it is a "tragedy waiting to happen". This makes me laugh because it is so true. Odds are we will outlive most of our pets. But I would never not have one because they will eventually die. They give me so much...much more than I ever give them back.

I can understand not running right out and getting another cat or dog. But...you should get another pet. I promise you will be glad you did.

Until then...keep us updated on how Ciao is doing. There are a lot of pet lovers on this board and we understand how this is hurting you right now.

NoFoolPrice
11-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Boy, we sure do have animal lovers here! People lover's too, your compassion and empathy is incredible. I sympathize with all of you that have lost pets, especially swoose, losing two dogs so suddenly and unexpectedly, it must have been a huge shock.
Good news and bad news - you all convinced me to take Ciao to the vet. He doesn't want to remove the lumps because he feels surgery could spread the malignancy and put him through pain that ultimately wouldn't help his condition, but - he also said that Ciao doesn't appear to be in pain and I have more time with him, probably not a whole lot of time, but he felt that Ciao is comfortable and happy and there is no reason to put him to sleep at this time. I told him how Ciao wouldn't get up or eat this past weekend and he didn't seem too terribly worried, I guess just like people he will have his good days and bad. He acts like he's feeling better, a little more energy and he even chased a cat out of the back yard this morning. A friend came over that he loves (Ciao is a people person and never forgets anyone), we hadn't seen him in six months but Ciao got up and did this silly little dance with him that they always did together. The vet changed his diet and he ate very well yesterday and something else I am sure we are both very grateful for - the change in diet helped relieve his gas symptoms!
So, I'm going to keep the old man for as long as I can, when he starts acting like he is in pain again we will deal with it when it happens. It's never a good time to lose a pet, but right now would be particularly trying, so I am very happy for the reprieve. Even a few months will give me some time to adjust and prepare emotionally and spend a little more time with the big guy. You all will know when it happens because, believe me, I will be here crying my eyes out.
kelsey, you hit the nail on the head when you said "It's like saying I don't ever want to fall in love because I might get hurt." I have gotten very protective of my emotions after being hurt too many times so I am very leery of letting myself be vulnerable again. It's very hard to measure the pain of loss against the joy of love, so this is one I will have to give myself some time to deal with. But you are right, I would never trade the joy I have received from Ciao for the pain of losing him, I don't regret adopting him one bit, he has given my family and I so much love and happiness.
For now, my guy is back to following me around everywhere and he does seem content. Mostly he is just sleeping and dreaming of chasing rabbits. I have to admit I'm kind of mean, I love to tickle the fur on his paws when he's sleeping and watch those legs start pumping away running in his dreams, he's really just too darned cute!
I'm snapping pictures like crazy and promise to post them when I get them developed, he will take your breath away, he is so gorgeous!
Ciao and I both thank you for all the prayers and good wishes and we are sending the same back to you. Hugs to everyone from me and a sloppy kiss from Ciao.

Kelsey1224
11-13-2003, 10:14 AM
Thank you SOOOO much for the update. I'm glad you have a little more time with your old man. That really is good news and it is time that you obviously need to prepare yourself for the inevitable.

I'm also so sorry that you have had so much pain in the romance department. There must be a special person out there for you!

moogle
11-13-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by NoFoolPrice

So, I'm going to keep the old man for as long as I can, when he starts acting like he is in pain again we will deal with it when it happens. It's never a good time to lose a pet, but right now would be particularly trying, so I am very happy for the reprieve. Even a few months will give me some time to adjust and prepare emotionally and spend a little more time with the big guy. You all will know when it happens because, believe me, I will be here crying my eyes out.

Fantastic! I'm so happy for you!!!!! My Max was diagnosed with ciroses of the liver when he was 12, and the vets wouldn't attempt to guess how long he would live. He surprised everyone and lived till he was 19, and died peacefully in his sleep. I was so lucky for him to hold on that long!!!

I wish Ciao as much luck as Max had. Your love you give him is so important - and I know he isn't lacking in that department.

You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

ttistin
11-13-2003, 02:05 PM
I am so happy your Ciao is doing better {{{HUGS}}}

NoFoolPrice
11-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Well, he is going to be pretty now! I spent most of the morning on the phone trying to find a groomer, most refuse to take him because he has chow blood and because he is so big. I had him groomed monthly until his groomer retired a year ago, so I have just been doing the best I can the past year. He's too old to bathe him outside now, too cold and he won't get in the tub inside. I brush huge bags of fur out of him but he really needs to be done professionally. This lady seems very nice and she said she would do him for $90 on the 29th. Ciao is going to the "Pretty Pet Parlour" so we are happy about that, he loves going to be groomed. I guess we are just going to see how things go, maybe we will get lucky like moogles' Max did and he will stick around a few more years. If anything, I think I have found the silver lining, this has been a wake up call that I need to take him for more walks and keep up on his grooming and pay more attention to him (if that is possible with him always underfoot)and make sure he doesn't ever run out of cookies. Sometimes I need a kick to remind me of priorities when life gets too hectic, and being afraid of losing him so soon was a big kick in the behind! I need to know when he is gone that I have done the absolute best I could do for him and that I have been a true best friend to my best buddy.
As far as the romance department kelsey, well, lol, I may have had my problems with men but I have never once doubted my dog's faithfulness to me!

moogle
11-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by NoFoolPrice
I think I have found the silver lining, this has been a wake up call that I need to take him for more walks and keep up on his grooming and pay more attention to him (if that is possible with him always underfoot)and make sure he doesn't ever run out of cookies. Sometimes I need a kick to remind me of priorities when life gets too hectic, and being afraid of losing him so soon was a big kick in the behind! I need to know when he is gone that I have done the absolute best I could do for him and that I have been a true best friend to my best buddy.

Boy, ain't that the truth!!!! I really know where you're coming from there. I used to make Max (and any of the other cats) get down when I was knitting and they wanted to lay in the middle of it. I learned to put the knitting down and pet whoever was laying in my lap in the middle of the knitting. They take priority over whatever I do now.

The last sentence of your post that I quoted says it all!

Best wishes to you and Ciao.

NoFoolPrice
12-04-2003, 05:56 AM
He's absolutely gorgeous! And he knows it! The lady that said she would charge me $90 took him and did a beautiful job.It's hard to get a chows undercoat out but she did his chest and his butt really well and only charged me $45. Then she put a green bow on his head and he came home feeling all feisty. He's asleep now of course, but I do think it took a couple years off his life. It really did give him a new lease on life. My pet is sooooo purrty!

justinenycole26
12-04-2003, 06:39 AM
He sounds beautiful! I hope you get to enjoy each other for a lot longer.

karefree
12-04-2003, 08:41 AM
God bless you both. I just read this entire thread from top to bottom and had a few good crys during it. Give him a pat on the head and a treat for me.

NoFoolPrice
12-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by FishmansBetrHalf
awwwww

NoFoolPrice... Get that camera out and let us see him. :D

Glad he's feeling better, and that you are going to have more time with your pet.

Actually, I did take pics yesterday and they will be posted as soon as developed in the next couple days, he is so beautiful and boy does he know it! Getting all clean and purty did seem to give him a new lease on life. He even left my side for a while to patrol the front yard and bark (actually, he doesn't have a bark, it's more like a deep scary woof) at the neighbor dogs. I am a very lucky girl. There is a saying, I think maybe Nietzhe or maybe a Greek philosopher, don't remember, but he said it is not how much you love it is how many people love you that matters. I'm doing pretty good in that department.

marcy122
12-04-2003, 07:49 PM
Glad you're both doing better.
Wishing you much more time with him.

NoFoolPrice
03-22-2004, 03:21 AM
Here's my guy! Finally, thanx to KylaKym!

http://www.washatal.com/ciao

ttistin
03-22-2004, 05:55 AM
OMG he is so beautiful. My brother had two chows, one of them looked just like Ciao. Yes you can tell he knows how gorgeous he is lol :) :) :)

LunaChick
03-22-2004, 07:01 AM
Awww He's such a sweet baby :)

redrig
03-22-2004, 09:49 AM
What a handsome guy!!!!!

NoFoolPrice
05-20-2005, 07:37 AM
Well, today is our last day together. I think he must have had a stroke last night, I found him in the living room this morning, he had urinated all over himself and was upset and trying desperately to get up. I cleaned him up and my son and I managed to lift him onto a quilt and drag him here next to my desk. I think he's partly paralyzed, he doesn't seem to be in pain, but then again, how do I really know? Every year for the past few years I thought I would lose him, but he has surprised me every time. I don't think he's dying, he just can't move. I wish I could put diapers on him and feed him and just take care of him and let him live, but in my heart I know that wouldn't be right. What he must be feeling, this big old magnificent protective dog to not even be able to stand up! My ex husband is trying to get done at work and get here asap but it probably won't be till later this afternoon, Dot doesn't get home from school till 5:00 and I think she should be able to say goodbye, but I don't know, that might be even harder on her. I'm trying to get myself together enough to call his vet and see how late he will stay in today, but it's really hard because it seems to finalize the end. I just don't know what to do. I don't wan't to go to the vets and see him get the shot and watch him take his last breath, but my heart tells me I owe it to him to be at his side, he's always been at mine. Do I have to put him to sleep? He won't eat or drink now, it's possible that it's just a matter of a day or two and he will pass on his own. We don't kill people when they are sick like this, why do we have to do it to pets? I have to do the right thing for Ciao, but is putting him to sleep really the right thing, or am I trying to justify trying to steal a little more time with him?

justme23
05-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Bless your heart... I can't tell you what to do, only you can decide that, but I think he would feel better if you took him and let him go quickly and painlessly... whatever you choose, just hold him tight and tell him you love him.

janelle
05-20-2005, 10:15 AM
I just lost my mother. I was with her at the last. I know pets can be just like family.

I would be concerned if he was in pain. If you don't want him put to sleep then have the vet give him pain relievers. Then wait until the end with him by your side.

Huggs and prayers. To to www.dogoftheday.com You can talk to other pet owners there and I know many of them have gone through this.

Kelsey1224
05-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I am quietly crying at my desk. As some may remember...we had to put our beloved cocker spaniel Daisy to sleep in April.

We held her close and told her what a good dog she was as they gave her the shot. She slipped away peacefully in our arms.

Our pets deserve to have us with them. They have given so much that it is the least that we can do for them. They aren't as scared when we are holding them and loving them.

Your entire family will be in my thoughts and prayers as you say goodbye to a faithful friend.

YankeeMary
05-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Hugs...we just had to put down our Bonnie, (miniture cocker spaniel) my heart is with you. Either way you decide will be the right way. If you can't be by her side then I know Ciao will understand. Some people just aren't able to be there. We were right there with Bonnie, and I tell you this, I can never ever be there like that again, it broke my heart. I pray that your decision be best for you and yours. HUGS!!!

DBackFan
05-20-2005, 03:56 PM
This is hitting to close to home for me too and I am bawling my eyes out. We are getting close to losing our Pekingnese that we have had since she could sit in my hand. I will be with her for sure when the time comes but MAN I don't even want to think about it and this did it for sure. BIG HUGS to you and the pain you must surely be enduring. Our pets know we love them, thats why they love us so much .

laughsalot
05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
((Nofoolsprice and Ciao)) I have sat here and just bawled and bawled reading this. My heart goes out to you. I cant even begin to imagine how hard it is to lose your very bestest friend in the world.

janelle
05-20-2005, 08:48 PM
http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

The rainbow bridge. Huggs.

Aloha from paradise
05-20-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm so sorry. I had to have one of my dogs put down due to cancer. At first she wasn't in any pain , but when she started to cry and I knew she was in pain I took her to the vets. I couldn't let her suffer. I held her when she got the shot and I was the last thing she saw. I told her how much I loved her and what a wonderful girl she was. Whenever we have to have a pet put down I stay in the room and hold them. I have vet tech training so the vet lets me do it. It always breaks your heart and never gets any easier. We used to have 5 dogs but only have 1 left. He is 15 and has heart problems so we don't know how much longer we have with him. He is always on my lap, sleeps in our bed. We don't plan on anymore dogs after Duncan goes over the rainbow bridge. We have so many cats and a bird and it just hurts so much when your pet dies. I'll keep you in my prayers. Here is my Duncan. He is almost totally blind and deaf.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/shirl50/Apr0103.jpg

NoFoolPrice
05-21-2005, 06:00 AM
I couldn't do it yesterday, I really tried but I just could not bring myself to say goodbye. I am taking him in this afternoon and I will see him through to the end. I sat with him all night, he really doesn't seem to be in pain, but I know he's scared and wondering what is going on with his poor old body. My whole house is so sad, we just have a cloud hanging over us. I am glad we got a little more time though, we needed to love him just a little bit more. He ate last night, I made him some chicken breasts and he ate four and really seemed to enjoy them. I have steaks thawing out for him right now for his last meal, this boy is going out with a belly full of Porterhouse!
You all are so very kind, I felt the sadness and sympathy in all your replies and I feel for your losses just as you feel for mine. Even though I have my kids, I was feeling so alone in this until I read your posts and I realized that you understand exactly how very hard this is. I think losing a pet always hits us 'mamas' the hardest, we are the ones that adopt them and care for them and are ultimately responsible for them. I hope your beloved lost pets will be there to welcome my Ciao when he crosses that 'rainbow bridge'.

janelle
05-21-2005, 08:23 AM
My heart goes out to you at this sad time. Huggs and more huggs.

I think you have made the right decision. He will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge and playing and happy until you come for him.

NoFoolPrice
05-21-2005, 12:33 PM
My buddy is gone now. There was nothing our vet could do for him, so I let him go. I was at his side when he took his last breath. I got to hold him and tell him I love him and that he had done a good job, the best, and it was time to go collect his rewards. He went very peacefully. I'm so glad we had our last night together and that I was able to let him go when it was time with dignity and knowing he was loved. I am at peace with myself knowing that I took him off the streets over 14 years ago and gave him a loving home, although I could never give him back all that he gave to my family. The hard part starts now - missing him. I'll miss his snoring at the foot of my bed and shaking hands for a cookie and how he always seemed to be grinning. I have so many rich memories to cherish though, he was one heckuva dog, I have absolutely no regrets about our years together and how they ended.
In Loving Memory of Ciao, may we meet again. 1991-May 21, 2005.

ntgsmommy
05-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Sorry for your loss--he's over the rainbow bridge now

janelle
05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
http://www.rainbowbridge.com/

You can go here and talk to others who have had pets go to the rainbow bridge. Post about your pet and put up pictures of him. Lots of information.

You gave him 14 wonderful years and you were there when he needed you most. God bless you and take care of yourself. Give yourself time to greave like you would a loved person. Our pets can be one of the family to us.

(((((Ciao & NoFoolPrice))))

NoFoolPrice
07-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Thinking about you Ciao, miss you, you're still the best!

jada1989
07-18-2006, 09:09 PM
I just read some of the replies and I have goose bumps all over and tears running down my face, I have lost 3 cats in the past 3 and a half years. Lucy, Isabella (Bella) ,and Sue .I know this is titled 'For the old dog' , but it brought back all those nights I would stay up crying because I miss my girls so much. And each of them had different things wrong and they died like 1 year a part each one of them. My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a loved one.

nightrider127
07-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Strange how I should come upon this thread. I have been thinking about the dogs I lost a lot lately. We lost 3 furbabies within a years time. They were all in the same age group.

Our son has been having his furbaby, Gracie, over here a lot. Yesterday she was more or less attacked by ground bees. Just about scared me to death. That is when I discovered that Gracie had wiggled her way right into my heart. I couln't help but think of the dogs I had loved and lost. Thankfully, Gracie is fine, back to her old self in a few hours, running and playing.

Please love your furbabies while you can. You never know just how much you will miss them when they make that trip to the Rainbow Bridge.