PDA

View Full Version : It's official :(

babystar0729
11-08-2003, 02:53 PM
the company for the house payment called again. They said if they dont receive payment they will sell the house. Oh and cable guy came so no cable either. I dont care about that. Hubby and I have talked about it and we are gonna loose the house, I am trying to make myself strong as I dont want to cry infront of him cause it will only make him feel worse. I cant believe all the dreams of seeing my son grow up in his house are going to vanish. I cant believ how easy it to just loose it all in the blink of an eye.... so what now? I havent a clue on what to do!! One of hubbys friend told him that to file bankruptcy you need a lawyer and it is like $700 extra LOL if I had those $700 I would make my house payment!! Does anyone have any info?? what do I do? Am I suppossed to just sit here and wait to see what happens?? This is so unreal! how can this be happening?? I am witing a letter to modest needs now.. hopefully they can help...

:(

judyindaskyz
11-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Look into Legal Aid (you should be able to find it in the phone book), they have lawyers who will do bankruptcies pro bono (for free). A friend of mine did a full bankruptcy (don't remember if that is chapter 7 or 13 or whatever, sorry) and all she had to pay was the filing fee of $189 here in PA. She had gone to a lawyer for a free consultation about it before she found out about Legal Aid and he told her it would be $850! She said just what you did, if she had that kind of money she wouldn't be in the predicament she was in!
Good Luck! I hope you can save your house and get back on your feet again finacially soon.

cpbaby
11-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Most bankruptcy lawyers take payments. Then they will work with the bank to "reaffirm" on the house loan to lower it to a managable payment. From the moment you tell the bank you are taking bankruptcy, they can no longer bother you or start foreclosure proceedings.

I know here, most lawyers give free consultations. It cant hurt to talk to one.

babystar0729
11-08-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the advice, I wil look in the yellow pages.. Now I have another question.. do I HAVE TO file bankruptcy?? or can I just have my credit ruined?? is it obligatory to do so? ifit is going to cost me, I might as well not do it, as that money can be used for food. I dont know the diference between the chapter 7 or 13 or anything... Noone in my family has ever had that problem before and I dont have any lawyers in the family either...

Gitty
11-08-2003, 03:39 PM
If you are absolutely going to loose it, sell it for what is owed on it. That is a good way to not have that bill. The bank will sell it and if they don't get the full amount they will still come back to you for the rest. There are companies out there that do buy houses or people that want a good deal. Good luck!

booker'sbaby24
11-08-2003, 03:44 PM
I am in the same boat you are. I have applied with legal aid and the only way they will help you in KY is if somebody sues you!! That is outrageous! We talked to a lawyer before legal aid and she wanted $850.00. I was like whoa.....It is so sad. I know what you are going through. We have a little one too. I always make sure there is something for her though. I will go without way before my child does. It is sad that the system won't help good people out liek you and me and will help all these others that are doing bad things. Oh well...just venting. I keep praying and I will keep you close to my heart..

mrssnoop1
11-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Back about 20 years ago we had to file bankruptcy, (may husband was in the Navy and they moved us 3 times in 6 months. I know the government moves your furniture, but first groceries and a place to live while you are waiting on housing can really add up). Anyway we found a bankruptcy lawyer that included his fee in the court repayment plan. He got paid first out of the payments and then the bills. I know bankruptcy rules have changed but you might call around and check on it. Good Luck

Katt
11-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Have you tried the salvation army or some of the other charital orgs? I know in Ark, they have something called helping hands, and they will do house payments, deposits etc. Or, possibly the surrounding churches. I know it sucks having to swallow the pride and ask, but maybe they can help.

I sincerely hope you are able to figure something out and save your house :)

marcy122
11-08-2003, 05:07 PM
BAbystar--I know losing the house is what you don't want, but if you don't want to file bankruptcy, you can try to sell the house. You may come out ahead & be able to start again, or possibly work with the bank to put off payments till you get back on your feet, but you'd have to provide docs on layoff, illness or what ever the reason.
I'm a real estate agent & have helped a couple of clients that were about to lose it all, but we were able to save their credit & they started over a few months later.
If you want to talk about it, pm me here or email me at mcarlson4@prodigy.net & I'll try to help you figure something out.
Don't give up yet. (((hugs)))

babystar0729
11-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks everyone, the problem with the house is it needs repairs. A few months aftre we bought it, with all the rain we started to see that water was leaking from the ceiling. so it has a leak in the dininroom and a piece of the bathroom's ceiling fell off and leaks a lot evrytime it rains. I really dont have the $$ to fix it !! The other problem , yes I thought about selling it, BUT I would still need to make my house payments until someone buys it, and the problem is we have absolutely NO MONEY to make any payments!! that is why we feel like we have NO options!!!!

I have not talked to salvation army but I did call a couple of churches in my area and was surprised that none of those ofered help I was so sad I stoped calling but I wil again on monday.. I was thinking of requesting toys for my son for christmas but I havent seen anything on tv yet ( sometimes on the news they will tell you where to call) that is the part that hurts me the most, losing the house and of course the christmas my son will have. I havent bought clothes for me in like forever and i dont care, but my son is 3 and wants everything he watches on TV !! of course I have never been able to buy him everything, but was never in the position of not being able to buy him ANYTHING.

thanks for the advice

Katt
11-08-2003, 05:42 PM
I took a load of clothes to the one here and they had a lot of people putting in apps for the christmas help (at the salvation army, just go to the office or call the main one). Also, they are giving the vouchers for the winter coats too, just in case you might need one for him. Just a heads up, but I went with my sil because she needed help with school supplies..they gave her a voucher for every person in the house 3 outfits plus shoes. She came out of there with name brands like arizona, old navy etc, for her kids school clothes. I couldn't believe how much NICE stuff was given to that one lol. I thought about doing my shopping there when I decide to get some new clothes. Not many places you can get a pair of Arizona jeans, brand new looking, for $4.99 lol.

gonzo
11-08-2003, 06:41 PM
First off, info on bankruptcy. Chapter 7, clears everything you owe on except house payments without you having to repay. If you own anything of great value, they will expect it to be sold and money used towards bills. Your house, they will try to work with your bank to make payments smaller but more years will be added to the loan.

Chapter 13, you add up everything you owe on and make a payment based on a percentage, usually only 10%. You make payments every month for 3 to 5 years. The house payments that you are behind on will be added to this but you can't be late on any other payments.

Both will stay on your credit report for 7 to 10 years.

Have you thought about trying to get a equity loan or refinance maybe with someone else? I don't know what happened with your husbands job but some finance companies will work with you if he will be going back to work soon.

As for the Marines toys for tots, call your local recruiting office and will will know either when and where to sign up or be able to give you the number for the person who does know.

Almost forgot, as for the condition of the home, sometimes Habitat for Humanity will fix homes up, so you might want to call them. They might also be able to help with the late payments.

Last but not least, you must be 90 days behind before banks can start to foreclose.

If I can help with any other info, feel free to PM me.

twinkiesmom
11-08-2003, 07:41 PM
no advice, just hugs. Hope it'll all work out for u. {{babystar0729}}

cindylee
11-08-2003, 09:52 PM
My heart is really breaking for you. :( I hope you don't mind if I keep you and yours in my prayers. Please get that letter to modest needs out asap and don't give up hope!

catssass
11-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Here is a site that MIGHT have some information.....
http://www.1st-at-stopping-bank-foreclosure.com/

laughsalot
11-08-2003, 11:32 PM
I am going to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Big hugs to you!! Wish I could offer more.

babystar0729
11-09-2003, 12:30 AM
Thank you to everyone for all the great info!!! Thank you to everyone for all the prayers and good vibes!!! As you can see it is at night time when the hubby and my son are asleep that I can't sleep and this is all I think about.

I dont remember who asked but this is what happened.My husband is a truck driver, He owns his truck ( well, still a couple of payments to make on it ) *I* think soemone was doing something to his truck cause it was needing repair after repair and all the $ we were making, we were spending on parts for the repair, and to pay for the mechanic's services. Then my husband was stopped by the DOT ( which is like a police that inspects the trucks) and was given 3 tickets ( they totaled like $600) then he had to fix everything they told him that needed to be repaired and he went back to work, THEN he was stopped again and was given ticets for ridiculous things that totaled another $800. He pays courts fees etc so we end up broke . And then he had no money to put diesel and couldnt work,then he would work and the person they did the job for took over a month to pay etc.. it was a BAD luck chain!! SO all of this time we were living off of the credit cards, thinking of course that things would get better... well, weather did not help, and he couldnt work for another time so now we have NO money left, no credit available in CC, we have already borrowed frm family and it is like we just cant even breath!!! I feel like I am trapped or something!! it is a HORRIBLE situation to have to say no to my son ALL the time, to not be able to cook the meals I used to, and to know that my house is a time bomb that wil explode pretty soon and we will have to leave it behind, along with all of our dreams...

Monday is going to be a super busy day for me. I am gonna call all of these places and see all the help that we can get. Thank you everyone who has taken the time to read all of this, and that has replied sending their thoughts, prayers, a shoulder or advice. I REALLY am very greatful for all of you, you are the only ones I can talk to about it right now...

DAVESBABYDOLL
11-09-2003, 06:41 AM
Call your mortgage place and ask about a quick sale,you need to be 3 months behind on payments,they sale the house and you do not owe anything else.Call them,it's worth a shot, most mortgage companies WILL work with you.

As for bankruptcy, stays on for three years then can be "cleaned up"

mikang
11-09-2003, 06:50 AM
My husband and I just filled bankrupsty for chapter 7. It cost us $900 but our lawyer is letting us pay it out. We thought we could use the money else where but when it came down to it we owed way more than the $900. We ended up losing our home and car. We are starting over now. It took a lot of crying and sleepless nights to decide to file, but now that it is over we made the right decision. We had over $100 grand in credit card debt that my husbands ex-wife made. We were just fighting a losing battle trying to pay them off. We were getting sick and tense over all the debt. Since we filed we are debt free and our health is a lot better and we don't bite each others heads off anymore. It is a lot to think about when filling for bankrupsty and you'll need to get all the info you can on it. I know our credit will be ruined for the next few years, but I really don't want to have to buy anything on credit. We ended up filing before my DH lost his job, if we hadn't filled before he lost his job I think one of us would have flown the coop! Now that is over everything is starting to look up for us. I wish you all the luck and if you decide to file just remember not to feel bad about yourself for doing it. Bankruptsy is there for people like us that have tried and tried and cant' keep up. Good luck and your in my prayers.

ttistin
11-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Babystar, I just pmed you

AweWoman
11-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Among the good suggestions there is alot of incorrect information, so be careful. (For example, the bank can't foreclose unless you are 90 days behind. WRONG. They can foreclose anytime you are in violation of the loan agreement, i.e., missing one payment. Some state laws vary and in some states it takes longer for the foreclosure process, but they can foreclose anytime.)

The first question I have is do you want to save your house? If so, try calling Consumer Credit Counseling. They may be able to work a deal with your lender and with your other creditors. If that doesn't work it appears that filing bankruptcy is the only way to do it. In which case you do not need a lawyer. You can file it yourself (go to www.nolo.com for the requirements and paperwork). Just remember that the BK will stay on your credit report for 10 years. You may be able to obtain credit 2-3 years after you file, but it will always be at a higher rate of interest.

Good luck.

booker'sbaby24
11-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Babystar I know how you feel. We tried one of the consumer credit counseling programs and it was no help. YOu have to wait 3 months before it even kicks in and then if you dont wait three months no refund of your money. all the money we spent on them we could have alrady been thru the bankruptcy process.

mightyman
11-11-2003, 03:55 AM
baby - post your financial story on www.creditboards.com - they will all give you good advice -- im "allen" over there

gemini26
11-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Any update? I have been praying for you and your family.

babystar0729
11-14-2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.. they are very much needed. Well, hubby worked 2 days this week, but of course that will get us nowhere.. still ahvent made the house payment, and still receive their calls quite frequently...

mlayton1994
11-15-2003, 06:16 AM
hugs. IWe had to file bankruptcy. Going to court dec.4th. So if you need to talk IM me.