PDA

View Full Version : I need advice! Please!

laughsalot
11-07-2003, 04:04 PM
Ok, I started a new job about 2 months ago. It is retail. From the begininng it has been nothing but problems. I go in and work hard and mind my own business, simply because I dont want to be involved in a bunch of drama!! Well for some reason one of the girls I work with doesnt like me, which really doesnt matter to me at all. I dont get paid to be friends with her or anyone else there. Well last week we got a new manager over our area. She comes in stirring up all kinds of crap. So now Gayle is angrier at me because she thinks I have been running my mouth about her, which is not true. So last Thursday I ask her if she is ok and she starts yelling at me about people stabbing her in the back and all kinds of stuff, this happened at the service desk. I just walked away. I was embarrassed and caught off guard. Well this week the manager over our area tells me that Gayle told her that I was fooling around with our store manager. Oh MY GOD! I have had enough. I am only trying to do my job and I dont understand why there are so many problems for me. I am married and I live in a small town and what if this got around to my hubby? Now my marriage is my first priority not this stupid part time job but I cant just quit and I SHOULDNT HAVE TOO! I talked to my manager and he doesnt seem to care, he thinks things will work out themselves. Then the district manager calls today and tells Tena our dept. manager that he will call me tomorrow. She then calls me at home and tells me this and INFORMS me that I need to use the chain of command~ Lord have mercy~ She is the one who is stirring crap up and she deliberatly told me what Gayle said to make things worse, then she asked me not to say anything. Well HOW COULD I NOT SAY ANYTHING?! So how should I deal with all of this?

laughsalot
11-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Doesnt anyone have any advice?

muherd
11-07-2003, 04:29 PM
well since I've always been the type that if I'm going to be accussed of doing something that I haven't then I'll do it just for spite, but again that's just me. Since your married, I doubt you'd want to sleep with your boss, so you have 2 choices, either deny it and hope it all blows over or tell the big boss when they call everything that's going(more or less rat everyone out) I've been in a similar situtation recently and I just let it all blow over since I had already put my 2 weeks in. To this day though whenever I see my old district manager I want to tell him everything that is going on there. Hope everything works out for you.(((HUGS)))

cindylee
11-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Well I would look for another job, doesn't seem worth it to me but the economy being the way it is, I dunno. I would be nice as pie to everyone and apologize for any confusion even though you are NOT at fault. Sometimes people just want to be told they are in the "right" even when they are clearly wrong.

laughsalot
11-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Thanks Muherd and Cindylee for the advice. I dont know what I am going to do but its nice to be able to vent and have someone listen. wish me luck!

DaLilPeachy
11-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Sell em all out! But do it cautiously so you don't look bad. Just say you have no interest in office politics or something.
I'm sorry - let us know what happens

ebgreen74
11-07-2003, 05:46 PM
seems like there is always somebody at every work place that feels its their mission in life to stir up trouble and cause problems for their coworkers. The only advice I have is-do not sit back and do nothing, hoping it will go away because it won't, and if you keep quiet, it will be assumed to be true(that you are sleeping with the manager, when youre not). Stand up for yourself, because no one else will. You are the only 1 that has your best interests in mind.

schsa
11-07-2003, 06:02 PM
There are people who live for the drama. You can try to avoid them but I would think that things are not going to change for you. I might start looking elsewhere but I wouldn't quit until I had something else lined up. Considering the time of year there should be tons of part time jobs available. You shouldn't have to put up with other people's petty problems.

Sha
11-07-2003, 06:19 PM
File a formal WRITTEN complaint. Start keeping notes of what they say and do an who you talk to. There are laws against a Hostile work enviroment, and sexual harassment. Yes, spreading rumors about you sleeping with people at work is a form of sexual har. I was put through hell in 1989 and it pisses me off to hear when someone is treated badly at work. If you need any advise please let me know...don't let them get away with anything. Good Luck hon.

laughsalot
11-07-2003, 08:10 PM
I just want to thank you all for replying. I was at witts end over all this but you have all given me the courage to FIGHT IT!! I am not letting these people walk over me or slander me any more! Thanks so much again!

Unicornmom77
11-07-2003, 09:23 PM
YOU GO GIRL!! I would fight too...(if I had any balls at all LOL)

I think you should tho!! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!! LOL Keep us updated!

laughsalot
11-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Thanks again for all the advice and support. I went into work today with a new perspective on the whole thing. I am going to win this one!:D

ieatalot
11-09-2003, 06:07 AM
you need to sit down & start writing notes on everything that is said to you or gets back to you through rumors. Write down the date & time with these notes too. As someone said above it's sex har. & creating a hostile work place, both are illegal. When speaking to the higher up manager, tell him/her that this is really becoming a problem with you & if this girl doesn't soon stop it & leave you alone that the next person you may speak to about this is a lawyer.

If they want your notes, make them make copies of them. Do not allow them to keep the originals.

Merry99%
11-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Hold them accoutable,in front of everyone,otherwise they will just tell more lies behind your back,if its all out in the open at least then people will know you should be believed and not the ones being deceitful.