PDA

View Full Version : ? about car insurance with a learners permit

PrncsNYC
11-06-2003, 10:57 AM
In order to take the road test they said that I must show proof of insurance. Does that mean *I* have to be insured or the car has to be insured? The car I own right now is insured in my bf's name. Is that what they mean? That the car is insured or do I have to be on the policy in order to take the road test in that car? I am thinking *I* need to be insured...

Sorry if this is a stupid question...I just have no idea about any of this stuff. College degree...you'd think I would. :(

Willow
11-06-2003, 11:11 AM
It means the car has to be insured. The two times that I took the road test I used the car that was supplied through the driving school. Also if you are using someones car to take your test with the person who the car is registered and insured to has to be the one that goes in the car with you when you take the test. They will sit in the back seat. At least that is how it works here. The car also has to be in good working condition and it has to be an automatic.

PrncsNYC
11-06-2003, 11:17 AM
ok, thank you Patchouli!

justme23
11-06-2003, 11:48 AM
It depends on the state... yes, the car is what has to be insured, but here it doesn't matter what kind of car it is and only you and the instructor can be in the car.

PrncsNYC
11-06-2003, 12:02 PM
rats..I guess I need to get on hold with the dmv... yuck lol

jan8262
11-06-2003, 12:33 PM
I live in CA too -

I just called my insurance company - My daughter is almost 16 and taking her learners permit test in a couple weeks.

According to them, no need to place her on the policy, a learners permit is like "free insurance"

As soon as she gets a license though, she has to be named and specify what car she will be driving.

captorquewrench
11-06-2003, 01:57 PM
I was a licensed ISR for Farmers in the state of texas for close to 5 years.

auto liability covers " all permitted drivers" in most states that is how it is worded. notice that the terms "permitted licensed drivers" is not the usual phrasing.

whatever car you use, you'll be a permitted driver if someone is loaning you a car. therefore, you're covered. after you're licensed, then you'll need your own policy or to be listed on someone's policy (usually has to be someone in your HH or family) even if you do not have a car, if you are in a state with a financial responsibility law (most are) you'll need a NON-OWNERS POLICY. but no one ever buys them.

now if someone steals your car, and plows through the city streets on a rampage of destruction.....they're not a permitted driver. no coverage! we had this one happen before, it was a MESS. Ugh. I am so glad I'm out of P&C.

PrncsNYC
11-06-2003, 02:17 PM
thank you both for clearing that up!