PDA

View Full Version : I Need Computer Help!!

cass2277
11-06-2003, 07:01 AM
I bought a computer a few months back. the man built it himself. ive had used computers for years and they never ran out of disc space, but this one keeps telling me that i ran out of disc space,and tells me to delete things(which i do)but it still tells me i dont have any disc space!! i dont know what to do????

another problem i have is when i put the wind.98 disc in the computer,nothing happens.

could he have given me the wrong disc? Am i supposed to do something when i put the disc in??? I am lost!!!!

Can someone help me??? thank you .cathy
bruby2277@wmconnect.com

Angelseyes28
11-06-2003, 08:17 AM
UGH I don't have a clue....I'm computer illiterate:p But I'm gonna move this to OT so maybe you will get a better response than mine;)

cass2277
11-06-2003, 08:37 AM
thanks for answering. :):):):):) cathy

Angelseyes28
11-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Hey Tech where are you at? You are good at this kinda stuff....I am doing good to turn my comp on and off:p

Quaker_Parrots
11-06-2003, 09:17 AM
ok, are you trying to reformat? if so, you would put disk in. turn off pc, then turn it back on, to do that.

cass2277
11-06-2003, 11:06 AM
no hon im not trying to format((i dont even know what that is))).im not really trying to do anything.but my computer just kept saying that i have run out of disc space. and ive deleted what i could . im afraid to delete files. i dont know anything about windows! i just know how to get on the internet.lololol cathy i dont know anything about the system.

jan8262
11-06-2003, 11:22 AM
A couple things to check:

(Been a while since I've been on WIN 98, but it should be close)

Right click on "My Computer" and go to Explore

(or double click on my computer)

This should show all the drives

Look for the C:\ drive

Right click on it and go to properties

That should show the size of the hard drive and how much space is used on it.

- - Are there any other drives that are not the floppy or cd drive?

(Even if there is just one hard drive, it can be partitioned into different drive letters )

If there are, do the same with them (probably would be D:\ )

Now - often the C:\ drive will be smaller than the other drive if you have more than one listed. If this is the case, you would want to then install any additiona programs etc onto the D:\ drive to save space on C:\ (If you've already installed things on C:\ you may want to consider uninstalling them, and reinstalling them on the other drive - from "start" go to "settings" then Control Panel - add/remove programs)

Cleaning up the drive - there should be a "system tools" or "tools" (go to the "Start" button, "programs" and probably in "accessories"
There should be a disk clean up item - this would delete any temporary files, temporary internet files etc. If you are online a lot, these can add up REAL QUICK!

(You should also be able to set this up to run periodically - say each night after you've gone to bed)

If you can't find the disk clean up feature, go to the "start" button, click on "help" and search for it - you should be led right to it, and will probably find some other helpful info.

I usually create a file for each person in the family on the D:\ drive (just use their name) then each person can save their files to it - makes it a lot easier to find your own stuff later, rather than looking in the "my documents" folder.

Hope this gives some help!

cleaningla
11-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Have you done all of your windows updates? I had the same problem and did my critical updates and it went away, guess people can run programs on your pc if you don't do those.

DestinysGrandma
11-06-2003, 01:42 PM
I run 98. Try cleaning your temp internet files go to start>settings>control panel>internet options. Under the general tab look for the section that says temperary internet files click delete files. Then go to lava soft and dowload the free version of adaware if you don't have it. That will clear up disk space when it gets rid of spyware and help your PC run faster. If you don't have virus protection go to grisoft and download the free version of avg. These may or may not work to cure the problem. You may have a corrupt system file. To run the 98 disk> insert disk into drive>go to start>run>click browse and find your cd drive>click on it then find autorun exe if it's there although I would get rid of all unneeded things first and do a virus scan.

cass2277
11-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I printed all the info out,from everyone so i could remember it.lololI always delete the temp.files ,and the cookies,and the history,thinking that will help. but im afraid to delete any thing else. i know you can delete certail files,but i dont know which ones . and my luck ,my computer would really stop working.lololol
i do know about the disc cleanup. but there is nothing else to clean up!!!! No one else uses the computer.well maybe my daughter once in a blue moon,to find something for my grandaughters homework.I even deleted my camera from the add/remove,thinking that it was taking up too much space.Any games for the kids that was on it ,i deleted.

ckerr4
11-06-2003, 04:01 PM
I have a source that says to try this:

Go to "Start" "Programs" "Acessories" "System Tools" "Disk Clean-up"
Run disk clean-up.
More than likely it will lock up if your disk is full, it's ok. let it run for a few minutes, then click "ctrl-alt-del" and end the program.
Keep doing this until it cleans the disk. The program cleans more than your temp files and cookies, it will also delete other unnecessary files, without deleting ones you need to keep.
After you do that go ahead and run defrag, it will help with the overall peformance of your PC.
As for the disc not running, it is entirely possible that if your disk is that full it is straining the reources of your PC to the point it can't think enough to run it.