PDA

View Full Version : Beauty Tips from the Cupboard

jaimethepooh
11-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Beauty Tips from the Cupboard

Hair Rinse:

Rosemary Tea is a wonderful shine enhancing rinse.

Brew 1 cup of rosemary tea; let stand until lukewarm, then saturate your hair. Leave on for 5 minutes; rinse with cool water.
Circulation & Hair Growth

Nettle tea with help had volume & luster to your hair.

Just brew 1/2 cup of nettle tea; let cool. Massage onto scalp. Leave on for 5 minutes; rinse.

Oily scalp treatment

Peppermint tea can reduce an oily scalp.

In a blender, puree' 2 cups brewed peppermint tea, 2 peaches (canned or fresh) and 2 tsp. of lemon juice. Apply mixture to freshly washed hair. Cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel; leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse well. Follow with a light shampoo.

Home Brewed Highlights

Brew a pot of one of the following, let it cool and then saturate your hair. Leave on for 20 minutes and rinse. If your hair is...

Red: green tea makes vivid color

Blonde: chamomile tea adds golden highlights.

Black or Brown: black tea adds richness and shine

Gray: ginseng adds a subtle silvery gleam

Stress Reducing Compress

Chamomile tea reduces inflammation, repairs skin and neutralizes skin irritants.

Prepare a pot of iced chamomile tea and stash it in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours. Saturate a washcloth with cold tea; squeeze out and place over face for 15 minutes.
Clarifying Toner

Fight oily skin and blemishes with strawberry tea.

Simply brew 1 cup strawberry tea; let cook. Mix with 1/2 cup witch hazel and four into a clean spray bottle. Store in the fridge; mist face twice daily.

Skin Softening Sauna

Begin by pulling hair back and cleansing your face.

Bring a quart of water to a boil; pour into a bowl with 2 tablespoons rose tea. Cover head with a towel; keep your face at least 6" above the bowl. Steam for 10 minutes; splash face with cool water to close pores.
Body Scrub

Brew 1 cup peppermint tea; mix with 1 cup coarse sea salt to form a paste. In the shower, scrub over entire body for a good mood and a beautiful glow!

Sleepytime Soak

Need to relax and unwind? Just add 4 Sleepytime tea bags to a tub of water. It has the same effect as if you drank it. This tea has chamomile and spearmint and it prepares you for a good nights sleep.
Moisturize Parched Lips

Black tea is high in tannic acid which boots skins moisture level. Saturate 1 black tea bag with warm water. Pres over clean lips for 5 minutes. Reapply if necessary.

HONEY POT LIP BALM

2 tsp. olive oil

1/2 tsp. beeswax

1/2 tsp. cocoa butter

1/2 tsp. honey

3 drops essential oil of orange

1 vitamin E capsule

Measure oil, beeswax and cocoa butter into a glass or enamel pan.

Melt over low heat. A hotplate works well and reduces the risk of overheating the oils. I use a small glass jar to store my lip balm in so I just mix all the ingredients right in that jar then place it in a pan of water to melt the waxes.

Stir the mixture often until the wax is melted. Remove from heat and stir in the honey and essential oil. Pinch open the vitamin E capsule and squeeze the contents into the mixture. Stir well. Pour the mixture into containers. Label after it has solidified. If you want your honey to be dispersed throughout the lip balm you will need to stir it as it is solidifying.

Variations:

Choose any essential oil that appeals to you. Tea Tree oil is good for cold sores and chapped lips.

Make your lip balm using an herbal oil in place of the olive oil. Melissa (lemon balm) and Calendula are two of many herbs that can add healing and soothing properties. Alkanet will make red lip balm. Start with one tablespoon to 1/2 cup oil. After heat extraction, check the color. If it is not dark enough for you add more Alkanet and go through the heat extraction process again. Your lip balm will turn out several shades lighter than the color of your oil.

LEMON FACIAL SPLASH

2 ounces witch hazel extract

5 drops lemon essential oil

2 tsp. orange flower water ( optional )

Pour witch hazel and orange flower water into a lotion bottle. Add the lemon essential oil and shake well. Label. Shake before using.

ROSEWATER

2 cups distilled water

1/4 cup vodka

1/2 cup rose petals

15 drops rose essential.oil opt.

Combine ingredients and set in sun for the day. Strain and add essential oils. Refrigerate. Use within two weeks.

BREATH FRESHENER

1 part distilled water

1 part 100 proof vodka

1 drop peppermint essential oil per teaspoon of liquid

Place ingredients in a small bottle or atomizer. Shake well. Use one drop on your tongue.

Variations: Use spearmint or wintergreen essential oil for flavoring.

JASMINE HAND & BODY LOTION

1/4 cup apricot kernel oil

1 tsp. beeswax

1 tsp. cocoa butter

1 tsp. coconut oil

1/4 cup distilled water

1 tsp. aloe vera gel

1/2 tsp. glycerin

5 drops jasmine fragrance oil

Melt the butter blend in the oil over low heat then allow to cool. Measure the water, aloe vera gel and glycerin into a deep bowl. Slowly drizzle in a small amount of the oil mixture and beat vigorously with a wire whisk. Continue to drizzle and beat until all the oil is blended into the water. Stir in five drops of jasmine fragrance. Pour into a container, label and enjoy.

Variations:
Use a flower water in place of the distilled water.

Use an herbal infusion, such as Calendula, in place of the distilled water.

Experiment with essential oils for different fragrances and therapeutic effects.

ALOE ROSE FACE CREAM

3 TBS. herbal oil

1 1/2 tsp. coconut oil

1 3/4 tsp. cocoa butter

1/4 tsp. lanolin

1/2 tsp. (.10 ounce) beeswax

2 TBS. distilled water

1 3/4 tsp. rose water

3/4/ tsp. glycerin

1 TBS. aloe vera gel

1 drop tea tree essential oil

Melt the oils, cocoa butter, beeswax and lanolin over low heat. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature. The oil and water mixtures need to be the same temperature for your cream to be successful.

Put the distilled water, rose water, glycerin, aloe vera and tea tree oil into a blender. Turn it on medium- high speed then begin to drizzle in the oil mixture. Continue until all the oil is added or until the blender begins to slow down and acts as if it will stop. The mixture should look thick and creamy. Pour into containers and label.

The tea tree oil is added to help prevent molds and bacteria from growing. I recommend that you make small batches and that you keep extra cream in the refrigerator. If you keep a container in the bathroom it will stay good for two - three weeks.

Variations

Try orange or jasmine flower water. You can also eliminate the flower water if you increase the distilled water proportionately.

Try using an herbal oil with aromatic or medicinal properties.

Add vitamin A or E. Vitamin E will help to preserve oil based cosmetics.

Add herbal extracts of ginseng or Calendula.

Tired Eyes

Papaya tea reduces eye puffiness.

Soak 2 papaya tea bags in hot water;

Chill and place over eyes for 15 minutes.

Elevate Your Mood with Tea

Try drinking a cup of the following -

Confident: Mint or lemon balm tea

Romantic: Drink Rose or vanilla tea

Energetic: Try green or ginseng tea.

Creative: Orange or clove tea

Peaceful: Chamomile or almond tea

mom2cvam
11-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Thank you! I'm going to give some of them a try. :)

jaimethepooh
11-05-2003, 10:31 AM
yvw;) :D ;) :D

Willow
11-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks! I'm going to try some of these things too. :)

curlymae29
11-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Thanks Jamie....Always looking for things like this.

Here something that I have cooked up on my own. Body scrub. Simply add (I prefer yellow) cornmeal to you favorite body wash! Works great!

jaimethepooh
11-06-2003, 06:03 AM
welcome, welcome.

one more thing i don't think it was mentioned before. if you are going to make chamomile tea (or anything that is supposed to make you realx) always use decaf. it kinda takes away the purpose of the calming effect of chamomile (trust me ;) )

Merry99%
11-06-2003, 11:49 PM
Brew sage in a tea ball to make a hair rinse to take out hair coloring that is too dark.It doesn't remove it but tones it down some.

I buy the busted bags of sugar at dented can stores for homemade body scrubs:)
Now I want some chamomile tea and I'm all out:( I have peppermint and ginger for my tummy,it works better than medicine!

I tried pina coloda tea from adagio teas and I like it,don't know what it does for you,but I felt good:D

jaimethepooh
11-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Merry99%

I tried pina coloda tea from adagio teas and I like it,don't know what it does for you,but I felt good:D

i haven't tried that one, i might have too;)

jaimethepooh
11-09-2003, 05:05 PM
:D

cindylee
11-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Fight oily skin and blemishes with strawberry tea.

Simply brew 1 cup strawberry tea; let cook. Mix with 1/2 cup witch hazel and four into a clean spray bottle. Store in the fridge; mist face twice daily.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Very nice thank you!! Witch hazel does wonders on oily skin and it a lot cheaper than Clinique (which has one of the main ingredients as witch hazel).
Thanks!

jaimethepooh
11-10-2003, 07:32 AM
weclome
also have another one

skin clarifier

2/3 cup witch hazel
1/3 cup rubbing alchol
mix together. store in a tightly capped glass bottle.