PDA

View Full Version : Any lawyers around? I need help or input on car issue

batmomac
11-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Hi Everyone. I have done lots of searchses trying to get legal advice and I am having no luck and I figured I would post here since people of many different occupations are members ofthis board. Any help or comments would be muh appreciated bcause i am stuck and I don't know what my rights are in this situation.

I bougt a 2001 Ford Focus on 10/24 from a used car dealership. The car runs well and everything, but I have had one problm with it. The key doesn't always come easily out of the ignition. I have driven lots of cars and have never had a problem like this. I took the car back to the dealership 2 days later when I the problem kept happening. I had to turn the car on and off several times before i could get the key out. The first sales person that tried to get the key out couldn't do it. Another guy took a stab at it an after several attempts he got the key out. He told me that I had to turn it a certain way to get it out. After he got the key out it was coming out easily. I drive the car home and I have the same problem again. I live about 25 minutes from the dealership. I call back and they give me the runaround for a couple of days. I took it back in on a Thursday and they told me to take it to the Ford dealership down the street to look at it. The dealership said there were 2 problems. Something was wrong with the shifter assembly and also also the cylinder needed to be changed. Instead of having the people at Ford fix it the people at the dealership that I bought the car from told me to drive it back to them. Their mechanic said that nothing was wrong with the car. He said the key that i was using was bent. that was the key the sales people gave me. It's the only key that they had and I had to pay $121 just to get a spare key. the keys are specially coded. One sales person that looked at the car said something about some 2 click system and another person said that i wasn't putting the car correctly in park. They offered to at least change the cylinder. Changing the cylinder made it better, but I still had the same problem periodically. I tried ramming the stick to park, but that didn't always work.

I am still having the problems and I have called them. The manager told me to bring it in and I did but he said they drove it over and over again and since the key came out for them there is nothig wrong with it. I have never had a problem getting any key out of any ignition so I don't think I am doing anything wrong. I have made 5 trips to the dealership because of this problem and I asked yesterday if I could get another car and they said no. I don't know what my rights are because I paid almost $6000 for the car and right now since I am still having the problems with the car i am stuck because it's not coming out of the ignition all the time. I don't even drive it anymore because it hurt my fingers fidgeting to try to get the key out. I have called the corporate people and they said I have to keep the car, but something is wrong with it since I still can't get the key out. I don't know what to do now because I drained my bank account paying for that car because my other car, which I didn't get from a dealer, needed $2500 worth of repairs and was not safe for me to keep driving.

Is there anything that I can do? Any help would be much appreciated.

suher99
11-05-2003, 08:46 AM
I'm fairly new hee, are you a woman? I ask cause of the answer's your getting. When I had a problem, I would take my DH who's a big man, with me, and we all drove the car, and surprise, with a man with me, the problem was found and solved, and cheaply. Get someone to go with you, and have the service manager drive with you and let him see what's going wrong. It might help.

schsa
11-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Call your local TV station that does the consumer investigations and get them involved. The last thing a dealership wants is bad press on any car they sell. Tell the station that you want to return the car and find something else. You cannot drive it the way it is working now. I would take all of the information that you have from the different people you have taken the car to and given you an opinion and let the TV station fight for you.

Sounds like you got stuck with a lemon and you need to fight back. If they sold me a car with a bent key they would be paying for that as well. Don't let them walk all over you. Stand up and make a fuss.

batmomac
11-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by suher99
I'm fairly new hee, are you a woman? I ask cause of the answer's your getting. When I had a problem, I would take my DH who's a big man, with me, and we all drove the car, and surprise, with a man with me, the problem was found and solved, and cheaply. Get someone to go with you, and have the service manager drive with you and let him see what's going wrong. It might help.

I wanted to say thanks for all the replies. I am a woman and at that I am only 24. I don't have a father to go with me. i have been raised by my mom. I had a guy go with me to buy the car because I don't know much about cars, but he's my age. The car runs fine, but my main problem is with the ignition. I know how to park a car. I took it to Midas and they said that even if the light shows it's on park the car may not be on park well and that could lead to the key not wanting to come out. Even at that I make sure I push the stick all the way to park. I just don't want a car where i have to jam the stick to park everytime or move the stick from park to neutral several times to get the key out.

I am going to check out the recall information and also look into calling our TV station.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it.