PDA

View Full Version : School bus HELP please

kidzpca
11-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Just about 3 weeks ago my son's school bus driver switched routes after 2 and a half year run on his route. The route is for elementary school so the kids range from about 5 to 11 years of age.

We had some problems from the beginning of her run but nothing major til this school year when she started swearing and yelling at the kids. Including calling my son a "trouble maker".

The Driver was forced to change routes because of her behavior.

I thought the problems were over.

NOPE

I know that driving 30 plus kids to and from school is a difficult job but I'm done with this driver.

For the first two weeks the route was filled by sub drivers.

Now the new driver has had this route a week to a week and a half. Today, the driver calls me to the bus and writes son up for behavior.

I asked the driver what son was in trouble for etc...but before I could even finish asking what was going on she became rude, condicending and insisted she has 13 years experience with bus driving...fine but let me, or help me understand what the problem is with my son and the bus.

The Driver indicated her name as "Ms XXXXXXXX" and such. indicated that he was getting the other kids wound up with his excessive talking and "rude behavior" and she said if it happens again he will be suspended from the bus for a day with more to come if "His behavior" doesn't improve.

I RECOGNIZED THE NAME OF THE DRIVER AS A SUB THAT SUBED ON SON'S BUS ABOUT FOUR-FIVE WEEKS AGO WHOM DROVE THE BUS IRRATICALLY AND PROCEEDED TO CAUSE THREE KIDS ON ONE OF THE SEATS TO FALL OUT AND INJURE THEMSELVES (ONE WAS MY SON), SHE YELLED AT THE KIDS TO GET BACK IN THEIR SEATS AND TO QUIT MESSING AROUND, (ACCORDING TO HER) BUT IN REALITY SHE HAD TURNED A CORNER MUCH TOO FAST TO CAUSE THE KIDS TO FALL OUT ONTO THE FLOOR. a few parents' complained and reported seeing the irratic driving.

I CALLED HER SUPERVISOR RIGHT AWAY AND COMPLAINED ABOUT THE DRIVING, AND INJURY TO MY SON.

However, now this woman is son's perminant new driver.

Today also I went to another neighbor's house who's daughter is a "safety" on the bus whom reports or stops bad behavior, and this girl indicated that my son is not the one who was doing any wrong it was a few other kids whom then also blamed son. Yet the driver wouldn't even listen to me, the students or son to find out the truth.

Anyhow I reported this all again to the supervisor whom blew it off as nothing.

Now I ask there has to be someone whom I can report the irratic driving, rude behavior to adults (her rider's parents) and disregard to anything decent. Bus transportation is ignoring the whole thing.

tia

GeThang
11-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Have you tried the school board office? If the supervisor is doing nothing, then try going above the supervisor. Hit the sweet spot. School boards are supposed to be about the kids, so perhaps someone there can look into it. I ride a bus almost every weekend on school band trips, and sometimes the bus drivers have to tell the kids to quiet it up, but my goodness, swearing is totally inappropriate. As well as the erratic driving.

If something like that happened in our school system, our superintendent would talk to the bus driver himself and personally investigate the situation. If they still do nothing, I would get all sorts of parents together and flood the office with calls. Just drive them nuts.

Hope this helps you, and hope to goodness this woman either stops this behavior, or is removed from the position.

justme23
11-03-2003, 07:42 PM
I'd go to the superintendent and if that didn't work I'd march myself right up to the police station and raise hell until they agreed to put someone in an area where seeing her daily would be easy enough.

sahmsfreeb
11-03-2003, 08:47 PM
i find that calling the superintendant and professing to represent many parents usually gets the ball rolling... i really hate to say that i have been there done that a month ago! i then told the superintendant that if this does not get rectified to MY satisfaction then i would be forced to write up a petition have parents sign it then have copies of it sent to all the local media print and television along with a copy to the school board and my local representative.........

TMALSS........

i got a new Permament driver the next day.....;)

GL! and remember the safety of your child is important. that is the number one factor for all schools...

Danny
11-03-2003, 09:12 PM
How about trying a tape recorder?? Get some of the stuff on tape as ammunition and then go to the school and the bus company hired by the school

IselaRose
11-03-2003, 09:22 PM
organize the parents, Is I read ur not the only one with complaints, power in numbers!

kidzpca
11-04-2003, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I am going to talk to a few more parents and see what their impression of this driver is and go from there.

missbeepin
11-04-2003, 11:10 AM
.....a bit of inside info......there are camera's on school buses these days!....Put there specifically to record behaviour problems and driver mishaps.

.....Not all states and school systems "hire" companies to drive their school buses....most are just regular ol state or school employees.

gummiebear
11-04-2003, 11:22 AM
edited.