PDA

View Full Version : The Advocate: ‘Patients Want To Be Talked To’

janelle
11-03-2003, 04:20 PM
A Duke professor says religion has a place in medical school—and in practice

By Claudia Kalb
NEWSWEEK

Nov. 10 issue — Harold Koenig, director of the Center for the Study of Religion/Spirituality and Health at Duke, has been studying the role of faith in healing for almost 20 years. A leading researcher in the field, he recently wrote “Spirituality in Patient Care.” He spoke with NEWSWEEK’s Claudia Kalb:

KALB: How did you get interested in the intersection of religion and health?
KOENIG: It seemed amazing that some patients with devastating illnesses like stroke or cancer coped as well as they did. And so I wanted to find out what they did to help them through these difficult circumstances.

How accurate would you rate the research?
In the area of mental health, I think it’s pretty good. So many studies have been done in so many different populations by so many investigators with the vast majority—two thirds—finding significant association between religious beliefs and well-being: life satisfaction, hope, purpose, meaning, lower rates of depression, less anxiety, lower suicide rates. The research in the area of physical health is not as solid.

Should medical students be required to take a religion-and-health course?
Yes. I think unless medical students have that training, they are not going to address those issues, or they’re going to do it in a way that may interfere with the patient’s rights.

Should doctors take spiritual histories of patients?
Yes. If we didn’t ask questions for fear that they would induce guilt, we wouldn’t ask about smoking, drinking or sexual activity.

Is it acceptable for doctors to pray with patients?
Certainly, if the patient asks the doctor, “Would you pray with me?” and the patient is religious and from the same background—and the situation is serious. If the doctor has tried everything and is running out of things to do, I think it’s appropriate to bring it up. Before the doctor asks the question, though, he or she needs to be absolutely certain that the patient’s answer is going to be yes. That’s why the spiritual history is critical.

What is driving the interest in religion and health?
As we moved into the later 20th century, we recognized that there are questions of meaning and purpose that science just doesn’t have very good answers to. Also, patients want to be talked to. They are tired of [being] treated like bodies, just physical bodies. Plus, older adults in America today are a very religious population..

How do you respond to critics?
If the critics say physicians shouldn’t address spiritual issues, doctors may avoid it completely rather than do it in a sensitive way or refer patients to chaplains.

What are your religious beliefs?
I’m a Christian, and Christianity is an important part of my life. It helps me to cope with my illness [a form of arthritis], raise my children and stay married.

janelle
11-03-2003, 04:25 PM
The Critic: ‘Religion Is a Private Matter’

A Columbia professor says the melding of medicine and prayer may cause harm

By Claudia Kalb
NEWSWEEK

Nov. 10 issue — Richard Sloan, director of behavioral medicine at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, ignited the debate about the role of religion in medicine in 1999. By far the most outspoken critic, he is now writing a book on the topic. He talked with NEWSWEEK’s Claudia Kalb:

KALB: What got you interested in religion and health?
SLOAN: I became skeptical of the many reports in the popular media about the benefits of religious experience for health.

How would you rate the existing research?
Weak. The strongest area is the epidemiologic studies linking attendance at religious services to mortality. A great deal of [the studies] have methodological flaws serious enough to question the conclusions that they draw.

Do you think this research should be done at all?
Yes, but I’m not sure that we can learn very much that applies to clinical practice.

Should medical students be required to take a religion-and-health course?
Medical students need to be able to treat their patients as people and not lumps of tissue. That means learning about what makes them a person, what’s important in their lives—and that may include religion and spirituality. And it may not. Absolutely, a course is required to help medical students understand their patients, but by no means [should] it be restricted to religion and spirituality.

Should doctors take spiritual histories of patients?
I see every reason to ask about religion and spirituality as part of this broad attempt to understand the patient but not as a dedicated inquiry, no.

Is it ever acceptable for doctors to pray with patients?
I don’t think so. It muddies the waters. It confuses the relationship. It may encourage patients to think a prayer is going to somehow improve their well-being. It certainly will improve their spiritual well-being but there’s no evidence it’s going to improve their health. If you pray for recovery and you don’t recover, do you then abandon your faith? It’s bad theologically as well as medically.

Is it OK for doctors to ask patients if they’d like to pray?
I think it’s a really bad idea.

What do you think is driving the interest in merging religion and health?
There are cyclical increases and decreases in religiosity in American society. There is pervasive dissatisfaction with the way in which medicine is practiced in the United States. And there is a concerted effort on the part of some within the field to promote this.

What are your biggest concerns?
Manipulation of religious freedom. Restriction of religious freedom. Invasion of privacy. And causing harm. It’s bad enough to be sick, it’s worse still to be gravely ill, but to add to that the burden of remorse and guilt for some supposed failure of religious devotion is unconscionable.

Are you a religious person?
I don’t answer that question largely because religion is an intensely private, personal matter.

curlymae29
11-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Is it ever acceptable for doctors to pray with patients?
I don’t think so. It muddies the waters. It confuses the relationship. It may encourage patients to think a prayer is going to somehow improve their well-being. It certainly will improve their spiritual well-being but there’s no evidence it’s going to improve their health. If you pray for recovery and you don’t recover, do you then abandon your faith? It’s bad theologically as well as medically.

Is it OK for doctors to ask patients if they’d like to pray?
I think it’s a really bad idea.

__________________________________________________ _________________
I hope that my doctor prays! It would make me feel a lot better about my doctor if I knew that he was seeking God's guidance in my treatment! ;)

jdglmg
11-04-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by curlymae29

I hope that my doctor prays! It would make me feel a lot better about my doctor if I knew that he was seeking God's guidance in my treatment! ;)

ITA!