PDA

View Full Version : Just Great

CABANN
11-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Just when things were starting to calm down and a lot of worry has been lifted from my shoulders, well bad news has came again.

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Scoliosis at the end of last summer. Well, we finally met with the orthopedic doctor and this is what we were told, I still don't know what too think.

He said in the United States it is rare for a child at the age of five to be detected with a curve of the spine. Destiny's is 18-20 degrees. Her in office exam went pretty well but he wants to see her every two weeks to a month.

We are having a MRI done within the next couple weeks so he can get a better look at her spine, but he said three things could happen.....

1) her curve can stay the same as she grows
2) her curve could become gradually worse as she grows
3) her curve could become rapidly worse

either way treatment is needed. It does run in my family. My sister had surgery for it years back and had to wear a body cast for almost a year.

As of now we are playing the waiting game.

On a lighter note, she thought she got this by doing pull ups on the side of her swing set. When she told her doctor that, it made him chuckle.

Please send positive vibes this way. Thanks

cpbaby
11-01-2003, 09:12 PM
They do a scoliosis screen in 8th grade here. My 14 yr old was sent for a more "in depth" doctors visit due to this screen. It scared me to death. Luckily, his was fine, but I was told that if he had been 5 or 6, then something wouldve been done.

I will keep your daughter in my thoughts.

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

MtyAphrdti
11-01-2003, 10:57 PM
I had the surgery when I was 15 (almost 10 years ago)and it was very UN-FUN! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or just want to talk!

jonette5
11-01-2003, 11:43 PM
{{{Destiny and mom}}}

LOTS OF GOOD VIBES COMING YOUR WAY!

CABANN
11-02-2003, 07:21 AM
Thanks everyone, My hubby keeps telling me not to worry and wait until the MRI is completed, but I think I was born to worry. LOL

MtyAphrdti, I remember clearly what my sister went through when she had her surgery and I agree, it was "Not Fun". Sis was in the hospital for a long time and then had to wear the body cast for almost a year.I think that was about 25-30 years ago. She still has back problems to this day.

I just hope Destiny's doesn't progress that far.

Keep the good vibes coming, please. Thanks

BeanieLuvR
11-02-2003, 08:56 AM
I can sympathize. I have Scoliosis. I was diagnosed in 4th grade. I had to wear a brace for 5 years. Back then the surgery sounded too risky and my dad refused to let me have it. My niece was diagnosed 2 years ago and had the surgery. It is nothing like it was back then. She had the surgery was in the hospital not quite a week and back to school in less than a month. There is no body cast involved now. If you live by a pool swimming is the best therapy to help it. I swam at the Y every week 2 or 3 times a week. I will pray things turn out good for your daughter.

PreciousDarlin
11-02-2003, 10:41 PM
My husband was diagnosed with Scoliosis when he was younger. Shortly afterwards, he started conditioning for basketball in high school and it corrected itself naturally. The doctor had told him that exercise would help, but he did not do the 'recommended' exercises and did what HE enjoyed doing. Hopefully, your daughter can find an exercise that will help correct the curve somewhat before it gets too bad.