PDA

View Full Version : everything is going from bad to worse

mimi37
10-30-2003, 09:15 PM
My husband was working 60 hours a week until about a week and a half before Labor Day. Then he lost his job. He didn't get accepted for unemployment. The only income we had in September was from my part time job. We only had a little over $800 income that month. Hubby finally found a new job the end of September. But this job is only 25 hours a week, so it's a big difference. Then I lost my job October 2nd. I applied for unemployment the following Monday. I'm still waiting to find out if I'm approved. Why do they send out a financial determination notice if you're not approved yet? If I'm approved, I'll only get $100 a week. I know I should be greatful for that but we really went downhill in 2 months time. August our income was $2300. Then only $800 in Sept. and a little over $900 in Oct. The rent is due and we don't know where we are going to get the money to pay it. We didn't make the car payment in August because we figured hubby would find another job quickly and we would just double up the following month. Now we are 3 moths behind. If we don't have a car, hubby can't get to work, then we have no money. I can't even begin to think about Christmas shopping. My son was showing me the toy ad we got in the paper from Kmart. I couldn't even look at it with him because I know Christmas is ruined this year. I just feel so depressed.

laughsalot
10-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Big hugs to ya mimi. I really hope things start looking up for you soon!

Unicornmom77
10-30-2003, 11:00 PM
(((((((((((((((((((((((MIMI))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))

I will keep you in mt thoughts and prayers!

HANG IN THERE!!

mom2cvam
10-31-2003, 07:42 AM
{{{mimi}}}

Sending positive thoughts your way.

ttistin
10-31-2003, 08:24 AM
{{{HUGS}}} Things will get better, I know how you feel though. It is hard.

Just a suggestion but can you apply for help from anyone? Maybe get food stamps or go to your local churches or food banks. I know that a few churchs around here will help you pay for your rent/bills if something like this happends and you dont have a way to pay it.

Good Luck:) :)

momfromTN
10-31-2003, 11:55 AM
Apply for food stamps and any other charitable organization that does toys for Christmas. There is no shame in it. You have plenty of time to give back once you are on your feet again.

intimidator329
10-31-2003, 12:24 PM
you should be able to get food stamps. I'm on them now. our limit for two people is $1250 a month.He gor $500 amonth for unemployment. Hubby's unemployemnt extention ran out this week so
we should go from $92 to $200 a month in food stamps. It's hard but with the help of double coupons, I can make 92 last three weeks.
We have agencies here that will help with the rent and electricity.
It's a one time thing and they pay so much but It helps.
Don't be afraid to ask for help. Hubby and I went for months without hardly any food because we thought we didn't qualify for assistance. Now we're getting more help then we ever thought and there are great people out there wanting to help.
Good luck. Could your hubby file an appeal on his unemplyment? Home Depot was going to contest hubby's but he filled out a lot of paperwork and home depot backed down because hubby had a case. i know several people who filed an appeal, had a hearing and got the unemployment.

mimi37
10-31-2003, 01:24 PM
We are getting food stamps and that does help out a lot. I can't ask the Salvation Army for help for Christmas. Their cut off date here to sign up for their Christmas thing was at the end of September.

ajksmom
10-31-2003, 07:17 PM
mimi, can you call the Salvation Army and explain your situation. Just let them know that at the end of Sept things weren't so bad for your family. Also try the Social Services here in another county where my SIL lives the SS runs a Christmas Store for families that can't afford to give their children christmas. My SIL has 4 children and gets to go every year and gets really nice stuff for her 4 girls.
I hope that things work out for you and you get back on your feet soon.

MsLynn
10-31-2003, 08:20 PM
I can completely sympathize with you on this one, makes me wanna cry when my kids are telling me what they want for christmas

mizzy62
11-01-2003, 07:51 PM
This happened to us last year, right about this time. It was the pits. Hubby does have a job now, in fact, two of them, but we are still dealing with the fallout. My best advice is...you have to accept it, and do the best you can with what you have. Things may never be the same..but you will survive.
Oh...forgot to add some tips. We shut off all extras on our phone, including our second line for the puter, cable, things like that. Also, if you have an Aldi's, your food stamps will go much further. Honestly, except for the bad reception, without the cable, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. :)

mimi37
11-02-2003, 02:51 PM
We haven't had cable in years. We always only had one phoneline. I have to keep the internet because I home school our youngest son and I need the internet to get his lesson plans. I did call one local food bank. They have it once a month on a Friday. Then they have it on one Saturday for the families that work. I asked the lady if we could go on Saturday because my husband works Fridays and I wouldn't be able to get there. She was really rude. She said they already have 5 families that come on Saturday and they couldn't possibly take the time for another family because the volunteers would like to get home to their families. Then she told me good luck.:rolleyes:

jdglmg
11-02-2003, 11:44 PM
You may have already looked into this, but there are some providers where internet service is free. It's slow, but maybe you could use that for your internet connection unless you need higher speed for what you have to download. If not, Walmart has a plan that is the same as AOL (from what I've read) and it's 9.95 a month. You may already have a plan like that, but I just thought I'd suggest it in case.

swoose
11-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Ask at your school about help with the kids Christmas. They helped get us in touch with the local Lion's Club for a couple of Christmas near disasters. If your kids are getting free or reduced price lunches they may already have them on a list. That's how we found out about it. Schools are great for trying to get you help with these things.