PDA

View Full Version : Canned Cat Food Product Test - PLEASE READ :(

korngirl22
10-29-2003, 05:53 PM
If anyone has an email address or website for this company, PLEASE PM me! I have a phone number but am looking for as much info as possible! Thanks!

Hi everyone! I have a major problem with the canned cat food I was given to test. I split the four cans between two different cats (one in my househould and one in another) I only used one cat as my test subject, but didn't think he needed the 2 additional cans to form an accurate opinion. Anyway, the first cat that ate the food became EXTREMELY ill and is now staying at our local animal hospital. We weren't sure what the problem was but the vet said it more than likely had to be some kind of poisoning from something the cat ate. I didn't think it could have been the food, but now I'm almost positive it was. The second cat that ate the food (from a completely different household) also became extremely ill and has the exact same symptoms of the first cat. Severe vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, swollen tongue, etc. The second cat to test the food didn't completely finish everything we put in his dish, so he left some. One of our other cats finished off the leftovers and he also seems to be coming down with the same symptoms. I'm extremely worried about this because the animal that is being seen at the vet isn't doing very well. The bill is already over $300 and they haven't even gotten him to start eating again. I have no idea what I should be doing right now and am extremely worried because I cannot afford this enormous vet bill. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't know what to do! :(

**UPDATE! We talked to the vet today and she said it was definitely caused by some kind of poisoning. Our kitty, Gizmo, has to stay at the vet another night because he's in so much pain. He won't eat and they have to give him fluids through a tube. I'm so worried right now and just afraid something bad is going to happen. The other two kitties that were having similar symptoms don't seem to be getting any better, either. It is just a constant mess of vomiting and sleepiness. Again, I would strongly advise anyone with these test cans remaining to not feed them to their cats. With so many cases of cats getting sick, it's best not to risk it. Just as a warning, we had cans #60 and #65. The first one was chicken w/ chunks which I don't believe was the contaminated can. The second can was chicken and rice and was whole (the food was in one big piece) I'm positive that both cats chewed the food completely, I don't think that was the case. The symptoms are serious and I would STRONGLY advise anyone with cans still remaining to THROW THEM OUT. I wouldn't want to see anyone else in this situation because it is just awful.

socks1211
10-29-2003, 05:57 PM
i did this test on my cat and we had #50 and #55
and she is fine
it was the veal ones

here is the link to some one who had the same problemHELP! Anybody else do the survey for the 4 free cat food cans? (http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=348697)

hope that helps

Sunnymoonx
10-29-2003, 06:42 PM
we had 60 & 65 too. My cat did fine with the first 2 cans but the 2nd ones he didnt like and ate about 3/4 of it and i threw away the 2nd can of #65 after I read someone elses post on this. I can't believe we were trusting this company and they sent out bad food!

suziebee20
10-29-2003, 07:07 PM
I didn't do this, and now I'm happy we didn't, but I wanted to say I'm sorry about your kittys. Thats terrible that this happened!

MillersMom
10-29-2003, 07:35 PM
We had #60 and #65 and my cat turned his nose up at the food. He eats anything that I put in his dinner dish, so I know that something was wrong with the food. Do you need the url that they emailed to us for the survey?

I sure hope your furbaby is ok. I think from now on, I'm sticking to the tried and true food....9Lives

FatWallit
10-29-2003, 08:51 PM
So sorry about your poor little guys :(

You might want to contact the company you did the survey through. Unfortuantely I dont think you have any recourse with them, as most survey contracts stipulate that they are not responsible for any effects the products may have.

I became severely ill after testing a food product last year. I cant say what it was but they did not disclose MSG as an ingredient which I am allergic to, and which they fully knew about. I had to go to the hospital overnight and I contacted the survey company the next day. You might want to check your contract or their website for any more information

DestinysGrandma
10-29-2003, 08:55 PM
We had cans 76 and 78 both beef with gravy and my cat didn't get sick. It's been 3 days since she finished the last can. I hope that the poor kitties affected get well soon!

TX_Cowgirl
10-29-2003, 09:11 PM
this is one i am sure glad i missed out on
and hpe your feline friends are feeling better

dangerousfem
10-29-2003, 09:16 PM
I don't remember what the number of ours was.. it was sliced turkey in gravy, and turkey chunks in gravy.. well I gave it to my cats.. and 1 of them had severe diarrhea, to the point that she couldn't make it to the litter box.. I was cleaning up messes all day.

edited for spelling mistakes.. man I must have been tired..lol

laughsalot
10-29-2003, 09:29 PM
oh my goodness! I hope your kitties get better soon.

GeThang
10-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Oh man, I was going to post about this too a couple of days ago and somehow forgot. We had #70 and #76, and my kitty got sick on #76. She was moping around, had diarrhea and vomited, but got over it by the end of the day. I fed #70 to my other cat and she was fine.

Oh my gosh! I am so so so so so glad my kitty didn't get anything any worse than that. My poor Lucky. I don't think I will ever do test food again after this. :(

Shancopp
10-29-2003, 10:04 PM
I had 70 and 76. My cat nor my dog would eat all of it...So, I figured it must not have been too tasty, as my dog will eat anything. Luckily, no sick animals here. Hope your's are better soon.

MsLynn
10-29-2003, 10:42 PM
my 5 kitties and their mom did fine on them both

tekknina
10-30-2003, 05:52 AM
I had 80 and 85 and my cat would not eat any of it thank god i would have to go postal if something happened to my cat

zitra
10-30-2003, 08:48 AM
The company will probably not do anything, since most survey companies say not to give out he products you are going to try)..they might give you the ingredients, but i would think that is all.

msbabygirl
10-30-2003, 01:21 PM
I replied to your PM....same exact symptoms as my kitty!!! Their website is www.consumerinsights.com I e-mailed them but still no reply...I am MAD MAD MAD!!! My kitty is still so so sick and We're pressed for money anyway so the vet bills are hitting us hard right now...I can't beleive the ignorant people out there sending out faulty product...If they don't e-mail they WILL have a lawsuit on their hands...NOBODY messes with the kitty's!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

msbabygirl
10-30-2003, 01:52 PM
UPDATE: I called the number and finally got a real person who only apologized for the lack of response to my e-mails and said she couldn't give out any company info :rolleyes:. She did say however that mine wasn't the first case of food poisoning they've had complaints about. :eek:

tigerskiss1963
10-30-2003, 06:26 PM
i did the cat food survey
one of my cats lost a patch of hair but iam not sure if the cat food did that or my other cat

shawmonica
10-30-2003, 08:25 PM
I had 80 & 85, I think. My cat would not touch the food. She kept scratching the ground around it and waited until I took it away. I'm glad she didn't eat any of it, but I'm sorry for all the kitties that did get sick. I don't think I'll ever participate again in any survey that involves my cat....too risky! Anyway, I hope everyone's kitty is feeling better! :)

Lafwthme2
11-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Ya know, we should all be fuming mad that they haven't even had the decency to email all of us about this to be sure we don't let any more of our pets eat the bad catfood! Does this tick anyone else off as much as it does me??? And, who's to say the same thing couldn't happen to food they would send for us to eat???

BabyDolla
11-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Sorry to hear about the sick cats and hope they all get well soon. I am so thankful that my cat doesn't eat anything but dry food. She won't even eat table scraps and has never gotten on my table or counters. Now the other cat!!! Still love her too. :)

mikang
11-04-2003, 02:02 AM
I received the cat food for the test and I gave one of each to my sister. My cats didn't like them so I thought hers would. Well, she put them on her bar and when her husband came home(been drinking) he thought it was food and he ate the shredded turkey with crackers! My sister called me and was laughing so hard about him eating it. She called back the next day to tell me her dh was on the toilet all night with diharrea and vomiting. I guess it can make people sick also. I hate to hear about the cats getting sick. Mine didn't get sick because they smelled of it and took a little bite and then turned away. I hope the company does something about this. I hope your cats get to feeling better.

Lafwthme2
11-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Mikang... LOL what a crazy story!! Ya know, I was thinking when I opened it that it was the closest looking stuff to human food that I've ever seen in a cat's food. Oh my! I hope everyone... cats and humans are ok from this ordeal!