PDA

View Full Version : How do you make your potato soup?

Angelseyes28
10-29-2003, 04:03 PM
I just made potato soup and was curious how everyone else makes it. I made mine with potatoes, chicken broth, onion powder, milk, butter, salt and pepper. Do if anyone else makes potato soup, do you make it differently?

zitra
10-29-2003, 04:10 PM
Never had potato soup myself..how dose it taste?

Princess4J
10-29-2003, 04:16 PM
THIS IS THE RECIPE I USE ;

Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients:
4 large baking potatoes
4 slices bacon
6 cups milk
1/2 cup Gold Medal® All-Purpose Flour
4 green onions, sliced
5 oz. (1 1/4 cups) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
Preparation Directions:
1. Pierce potatoes with fork; place on microwave-safe paper towel or roasting rack in microwave. Microwave on HIGH for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning once halfway through cooking. Cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove from Dutch oven; drain on paper towels. Crumble; set aside.
3. In same Dutch oven, combine milk and flour; blend well. Cook over medium heat about 15 minutes or until bubbly and thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
4. Cut cooked potatoes in half. Scoop out cooked potato from skins; place in medium bowl. Discard skins. Mash potatoes well.
5. Add potatoes, bacon, 2 tablespoons of the onions, 1 cup of the cheese, salt and pepper to milk mixture. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Add sour cream; cook and stir until soup is thoroughly heated.
6. To serve, spoon soup into individual bowls. Sprinkle each with remaining onions and cheese

atag71
10-29-2003, 04:16 PM
i use a can of potato soup- add milk-heat and enjoy-lol

I would love to make it from scatch but i have no patience for it. Yours sounds yummy though!

Princess4J
10-29-2003, 04:29 PM
I LOVE THIS SOUP !!!

ITS SO GOOD. IF YOU NUKE THE POTATOES IT COOKS REALLY FAST.
I LOVE TO EAT IT WITH GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES.

Kyla Kym
10-29-2003, 04:30 PM
I make mine just like you do angelseyes. My MIL taught me how to make it. :) My husband's family likes to make it when they are sick instead of chicken soup. :)

zitra
10-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Princess4J
I LOVE THIS SOUP !!!

ITS SO GOOD. IF YOU NUKE THE POTATOES IT COOKS REALLY FAST.
I LOVE TO EAT IT WITH GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES.

Thanks for the recipie I will have to try it!

*StarDust*
10-29-2003, 04:33 PM
I add Onions and celery and Ham but otherwise it's
pretty much the same as Angeleyes.

At least that's what my family always told me was potato soup lol

*StarDust*
10-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Just like P4J my Dad adds the bacon to his

Angelseyes28
10-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Kyla Kym
I make mine just like you do angelseyes. My MIL taught me how to make it. :)

How cool! That's exactly how I learned to make mine:D Gotta love good MIL's:D

Hey atag71 I will be happy to share mine with ya:)
It is SUPER easy to make.
I peel and cube my potatoes and boil them in chicken broth till tender(I add my onion powder, salt and pepper while cooking). Then kinda mash up the potatoes some...I like to leave some whole pieces. Then add butter and milk till you get to the consistancy you want...and voila, you have homemade potato soup:) I just took a skillet of cornbread outta the oven to go with the soup. Come on over I have plenty;)

Technologist
10-29-2003, 04:49 PM
um.... I make it.... um, well, with SOUP and POTATOES!!

Angelseyes28
10-29-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Technologist
um.... I make it.... um, well, with SOUP and POTATOES!!

LMAO Ok Mr. ChefBoyYouDon'tKnowHowToCook, you seriously need some cooking lessons:p:D

Technologist
10-29-2003, 04:55 PM
I can cook better than 90% of the people here, miss smarty pants... Didn't you know all the world renowned chefs are GUYS???

Angelseyes28
10-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Hey I'm only going by what you said!:p Besides, it doesn't matter how many guys are chefs, if they aren't cooking for me then they don't count:p:p:p:p

Technologist
10-29-2003, 05:02 PM
Case in point... Spices: http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?threadid=348450&highlight=%2Acook%2A

Recipe: http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?threadid=316884&perpage=15&highlight=*cook*&pagenumber=3

Watching cooking shows: http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?postid=2464252&highlight=%2Atech%2A#post2464252

Angelseyes28
10-29-2003, 05:03 PM
Show-Off:p

Technologist
10-29-2003, 05:04 PM
Now ask me about potato au gratin.... or pomme fritz.... or double baked stuffed potatoes (mmmmmmm.... good thing I already ate)!

Angelseyes28
10-29-2003, 05:06 PM
HA! And boost your ego more? Not a chance:p I'm going to eat supper:D

Technologist
10-29-2003, 05:23 PM
Oh, and btw.... If you add leeks, and serve it cold, its called "vichyssoise"

I think thats French for "nasty, cold potato soup"...LOL

But don't confuse it with "gazpacho", which is a cold (uncooked) vegetable soup.... from Spain.

there is a line in the book "Jaws", where they eat G&G (grass and gazpacho)... and yes, it's that kind of grass!

zitra
10-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Technologist
Oh, and btw.... If you add leeks, and serve it cold, its called "vichyssoise"

I think thats French for "nasty, cold potato soup"...LOL

But don't confuse it with "gazpacho", which is a cold (uncooked) vegetable soup.... from Spain.

there is a line in the book "Jaws", where they eat G&G (grass and gazpacho)... and yes, it's that kind of grass!

LOL

suziebee20
10-29-2003, 07:16 PM
Potato soup! lol, this may seem random, but this thread reminded me to order one of the soup samples for $3.50 now that I got my paypal.

As to how I make my potato soup- I get the can opener, open the can, pour it into a pot and stick it on the stove. It's quite tasty. ;)

ezmoney163
10-29-2003, 07:36 PM
My sil makes it with canned milk it is excellent. We just had it last weekend. God was it delish

Zenngrl
10-30-2003, 10:06 AM
Hmmmm this is a hard one....

I got to Krogers.....

Buy Private Selection Brand Potato Soup....

Pour in some water and a little extra seasoning....

20 minutes later......mmmmmm mmmmmm good!

;)

ttistin
10-30-2003, 02:12 PM
oh wow I was just thinking about making this, I havent had potato soup in years. My grammy used to make it when I lived with her, that was the last time I had it. Lets see I moved out of her house about 8 years ago. Ok you got me craving this soup now lol

Dh has never had potato soup, I am going to have to make some now.

Thanks for the recipe, I am going to make some soon.

feliciac
10-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Mine is really basic, milk, potatoes, salt, pepper and butter. If I am feeling ambitious then I add green onions. The simpler the better since I hate to cook most of the time.