PDA

View Full Version : Hit & Run Nanny being sought .....

Sha
10-28-2003, 04:24 PM
News Link (http://www.modbee.com/state_wire/story/7656590p-8562121c.html)

I thought this was so sad...

Danville police continue search for nanny in fatal accident

The Associated Press

Published: October 28, 2003, 02:10:12 PM PST

DANVILLE, Calif. (AP) - The search continued across two counties Tuesday for a woman allegedly involved in a hit-and-run accident that killed two small children in Danville.
Jimena Barreto, 45, is the lead suspect in the accident that left a brother and sister dead, and she is wanted for questioning. According to police, Barreto was last seen in San Francisco's Marina District.

Contra Costa sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said Tuesday that officials have received many calls regarding Barreto's whereabouts.

"We are still looking for her. We have many, many tips from people where she might be. And many are from outside the Danville area," Lee said.

The San Francisco Police Department is assisting Danville police, since Barreto was seen in San Francisco on Sunday night. Spokesman Dewayne Tulley said police are distributing flyers with the suspect's photo to innkeepers along Lombard Street.

The Contra Costa Sheriff's Department and Danville Police have notified immigration and customs officials, since Barreto is a native of Colombia.

According to the state Department of Motor Vehicles, Barreto's license had been suspended because she failed to appear in court after receiving a speeding ticket, and her insurance certificate was canceled.

DMV records also show that her license has been suspended twice since 2000 for having an excessive blood-alcohol level. Her license was also suspended numerous other times during the past three years because of insurance problems and being a "negligent operator," which means she had accumulated too many points on her record.

Lee said Barreto, of Walnut Creek, was driving to her nanny job Sunday when she drove onto a sidewalk and fatally injured Alana Pack, 7, and her brother Troy Pack, 10.

On Monday, mourners brought flowers and stuffed animals to a growing memorial on the sidewalk of Camino Tassajara, where the children were struck by a gold Mercedes that jumped a curb.

Police say Barreto stopped a short distance away after the accident, left the car with its lights on and got a ride from a car heading in the opposite direction.

Police said Barreto fled the accident scene by flagging down a passing motorist and then took a cab to the Walnut Creek BART station, where she boarded a train to San Francisco.

schsa
10-29-2003, 10:27 AM
There should be something where if your license is suspended and you cannot drive that your car is impounded until such time as. Letting potential drunks have access to cars is like selling a gun to an insane person. They may say that they aren't going to use it but do you want to be in the room or in the car when they change their minds.

And if you sell, lend or give a person who has a suspended license a car to drive, you should be jailed as well.

amysusi
10-30-2003, 09:28 AM
A similar thing happened here in Utah. 3 children were playing in their driveway when a kid (17 or 19, can't remember) plowed into them. I believe he was drunk or otherwise under the influence. 2 of the children died, and the 3rd spent weeks in the hospital with multiple broken bones among his injuries. The survivor is 6, his brother and sister were 9 & 4. I know there is more to the story, and I'd post a link if I could remember any of the names to find the link.