PDA

View Full Version : Kid Steals Cheese at School and Has to Go To Court School to Harsh?

teddy2948
10-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Here is an interesting story.

Student faces criminal charges for alleged 25 cent cheese theft

(10/24/03 - DEER PARK) — A Deer Park High School student is facing criminal charges for what he and his parents call a strange case of school discipline.

He's accused of stealing 25 cents worth of melted cheese from the school cafeteria. The cheese controversy may cost the district a lot more than that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------Tenth-grader Corey Campbell says he was just trying to get lunch in a crowded cafeteria on Tuesday when the cheese controversy began.

"I walked in and I got cheese sticks and fries," Campbell said. "And then I went and paid for it."

He forgot his marinara dipping sauce and went back to get it. He grabbed some melted cheese, too, and then started back to his table.

"I was walking out of the door and the lady called me over," Campbell said. "I said okay. She asked me what I had, and I told her cheese. She told me that cost 25 cents and I said 'OK, let me give you 25 cents for this cheese'. And she said 'No. Give me your ID'."

The next thing Campbell knew, Deer Park Police were giving him a ticket.

"The ticket says this is a Theft, Class-C violation, including one plastic container of melted cheese," said Corey's Mom, Donna Campbell. "It's valued at 25 cents."

Money Corey offered to hand it over, but the school said to tell it to the judge.

"There is a problem here, and this is how we have chosen to deal with that problem," said Matt Lucas with Deer Park ISD.

By the time this case works its way through court, a judge, a bailiff, a prosecutor, two clerks, the ticket-writing cop and a jury will all be paid for about two hours of work just on this case. The estimated cost for these services will be paid for by Deer Park taxpayers in the form of $396.

"There is a cost to the school district as well," said Lucas.

In this case, the cost to the school is a quarter. Matt Campbell says its all a mistake.

"I really wasn't trying to steal," Campbell said. "I would have paid for it had I known it cost a quarter. I found it cost a quarter, and I guess I'm going to pay for it."

If charged, Campbell will receive a fine of $150, not to mention the cost of a defense attorney.

Deer Park officials tell Eyewitness News the school has one to five cheese thefts per week and this is how they will continue to handle the suspected thefts.

DaLilPeachy
10-24-2003, 10:04 AM
this is BULLSH*T I would be livid if I was that child's parent.
Sh*t- I'll send the school 1-5 quarters a week if they want. <grumbling and walking away>

Angelseyes28
10-24-2003, 10:21 AM
Ok that is absolutely STUPID!!!!!:mad: :rolleyes:

GeThang
10-24-2003, 10:27 AM
I agree. There are other things that deserve worse punishment. I am sure the kids that get caught writing on the bathroom walls don't have to go to court. Even that only deserves a detention.

DaLilPeachy
10-24-2003, 10:29 AM
<ducking in case any chairs start flying>

GeThang
10-24-2003, 10:30 AM
LOL

dcut4
10-24-2003, 12:20 PM
ok I find this whole story to be absolutly crazy. The kid made an honest mistake and offered to correct it right then and there, surly there has to be more to the story. I work at a school cafiteria and can't imagine pressing charges for something like this, heck if we did we would be in court everyday.

Willow
10-24-2003, 12:54 PM
That is insane. lol

Princess4J
10-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by DaLilPeachy
Sh*t- I'll send the school 1-5 quarters a week if they want. <grumbling and walking away>

ABSOLUTELY CRAZY :rolleyes:
IF IT WAS MY CHILD & WE HAD TO PAY THE FINE,
I'D PAY IN QUARTERS TOO !!

SOUNDS LIKE THE CAFETRIA LADY HAD HER HAIRNET ALL
TWISTED IN A WAD THAT DAY.