PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to exchanging Christmas gifts...

jdglmg
10-21-2003, 10:38 PM
I am really wanting to come up with a good alternative to exchanging Christmas gifts with some of my extended family. I've been struggling a lot the past few years trying to figure out what to get each person, especially when they have everything they need and most of what they want. What I've decided is that I would much rather do something meaningful with my family than exchange gifts that may end up being returned on Dec. 26 or end up in the closet or whatever. And I don't need them to get me anything to feel like I've had a good Christmas. So, my reason for starting this thread (bet you thought I'd never get to that!) is to find out if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me. Please help!

wyozozo
10-21-2003, 10:44 PM
This is what I'm doing this year for a number of friends and family members:

http://www.heifer.org/

Heifer International is a nonprofit that alleviates hunger, poverty, and environmental degradation through gifts of food and income producing farm animals and training. These animals provide a source of protein, such as eggs and milk, for children and generate income for families through the sale of animal products. Since 1944 Heifer has helped over 4 million families in 125 countries become self-reliant. Each family "passes on the gift" by giving one or more of its animal's offspring to another family in need.

TxWildCherry
10-22-2003, 04:15 AM
i have found also it is sometimes eaiser to give gift cards find out where they like to shop and get a samll one to let them know you are thinking of them

lisarae
10-22-2003, 05:25 AM
We have a HUGE family Christmas gathering. For someone who wants something, we bring a craft that we made. Whether it be candy, cakes, or something else from the heart. They guys just buy something small, something thoughtful. Everyone who brought something gets a number. Starting with number 1, they get to pick a gift and unwrap it. Then number 2 goes, she can choose from the #1 gift thats unwrapped, or a new one. Then number 3 can choose from the unwrapped #2-3 gift. If they choose the number 1 gift, the number 1 person gets to choose another gift. So if you are an early number, you probably aren't gonna get what you want. But its neat and fun, especially if you have the last number. And the guys to theirs the same way. Its fun.
This way you dont have to buy for everyone, and you don't get a bunch of junk you don't need either. WE chose mainly to do something like this because my grandparents felt the need to buy everyone one something. The stuff usually wasn't a couple dollars a piece from the dollar store. But she has 7 kids all married, and 20 something grandkids, 8-9 of which are married, and 12 or so great grandkids. And she managed something for them all.

Now if we wanna go ahead and buy something for someone we buy gifts for the small kids.

shelhop
10-22-2003, 05:57 AM
My idea is this...Would your family prefer to all go together and help another family in need? Contact Salvation Army, and tell them you'd like to adopt a family for Christmas. They will give you info like ages of children and sizes and what their Christmas gift wish list is. I believe (at least in my area) what is expected is all the makings for a Christmas dinner, toys for the children, and here in Michigan, to provide a pair of gloves or mittens and a hat for each child. Then you can add any bells that you would like to add...and afford. For example, maybe a small gift for the parent(s), a gift certificate for a night out or anything of that sort. Also, a big reminder is that many families recieve some sort of government aid (like food stamps). Keep in mind that food stamps won't provide toiletries, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc.. These things are much appreciated by people who are just barely making it. You will even have the phone number to contact the family and ask them if you have any questions, like does the family have a VCR (if you're thinking of buying a movie) or does Suzy have her ears pierced?
I once benefited from this program, when I was all alone with 3 hungry kids. The family that "adopted" us was so wonderful. They told me what time they would be delivering the stuff, and showed up with an unbelievable amount of stuff. Three pickup truckloads, including a chest freezer (used, of course) full of food. It was incredible, and I'll never forget it.
Since that time, I've been fortunate enough to return that favor to others, although not to that extent. The greatest gift is giving of yourself, and knowing that you brought gladness to another family.
Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching. I just know it's a great and meaningful alternative to sitting around opening yet another un-needed gift.

Jolie Rouge
10-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Hubby and I both come form large famlies where it is impractical to purchase everyone a gift. Both families have arrived at the same aolution. Names are pulled for children's gifts amongst themselves. The grownups do an exchange much as Lisarae described except we do a "theme" each year. We do a potluck supper for the day and the theme is announced about Thanksgiving - price range is set about the same time ( usually 5 - 10 dollars ). Thmes have been"gardening & outdoors, edibles, movies, novelties, Holiday items and Christmas ornaments. The object is to get creative within the theme. We also award a prize for the Most Sought After Gift - I won the year Gardening was the theme by bringing a pair of Stone tutles that were about two feet in diameter apiece. For some reason THAT was what everybody wanted.

We have a lot of fun, and that is the greatest gift of all.

adair
10-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Have everyone write down a special memory of Christmas past and put them all together into a small book. Then, next year, have them write a special memory about another holiday or about a special relative. You cana do many years of books this way. You can also do special recipes that everyone likes, etc.

I also make a calendar for everyone each year. With lots of nieces and nephews and grandkids, it is hard for everyone to keep track of the birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc. You can use family pictures for each month also...or pictures of homes, etc.

Willow
10-23-2003, 05:29 PM
Helping the needy is a very nice getsture but I know of some people who would be mad if I didn't give them a gift so this year I'm getting gift certificates to the mall for the ones that are hard to buy for.

zitra
10-23-2003, 05:39 PM
You could donate to a charity in each of your extended familie's names/Gift cards (so htey can get what they want)/or maybe just a gift basket of meats/cheeses or bath and boyd products/fruit, etc.

jdglmg
10-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the ideas. Any others? I still haven't decided what to do yet!

I love the idea of adopting a family, but I live in St. Louis and my family is in Huntsville, AL, so I don't know how we would do that!

ckerr4
10-30-2003, 05:14 PM
You can donate to an organization in the name of the entire family - for instance, instead of buying a gift for a brother, a sister in law, another for a niece, a nephew, etc., you can donate to an organization such as Amnesty International or the Southern Poverty Law Center in the family's name. I mention those two becuase I have donated in people's names before, and know they do that, but I'm sure any reputable charity does. They will usually send the family a card saying that a donation has been made in their name, and you could also print up a certificate explaining what you did. This is great because you can pick an organization that is special to the family - a medical organization, political movement, religious, etc.

Unicornmom77
12-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Since its getting closer to Xmas I thought I would bump this!

NINK
12-03-2003, 05:31 PM
my g-ma is thinking about buying every one gift cert. to nice restaraunts and offering to watch thier kids whatever night that couple decides to go out.

she has also thought about paying for the whole family to go camping tigether(we would go when it's warmer)

last year she just bought every one a convection oven and one year it was george foremen grills.