PDA

View Full Version : You bet I'm crossing picket lines...

Kelsey1224
10-21-2003, 08:22 AM
I am so annoyed with the strikes which are going on in S. California...particularly with the retail clerks.

The workers went on strike a little over a week ago. The main bone of contention is not over salaries...but rather over their health insurance coverage.

Get this...they have had a sweetheart deal for over 25 years where these workers have paid nothing for their health insurance. They were totally covered for themselves AND their family!

They are now being asked to pay $5.00 a week for individual coverage and a maximum of $15.00 a week for family coverage. THAT'S IT!

I happen to work in Corporate employee benefits for a large company and am aware that health insurance costs have skyrocketed NATIONWIDE! All companies are re-evaluating their health care coverage because premiums have increased so dramatically over the past couple of years. Last year most employees actually experienced a pay cut because of increases in their portion of their health care coverage. (For example, I received a 4% increase in my pay...but my insurance went up more than that.)

This isn't unique to my company. I hear the same story from all of my friends. Many people on this board have posted the same scenario.

I sure wish I only had to pay $15.00 a week for my health care coverage!

In addition...most of the people only work 25 hours a week. They are part-time employees by any definition. Yet, they have still been receiving full benefits.

One last thing. While they are on strike...they are receiving strike pay. Make no mistake about it...while their strike pay is obviously not enough to pay their bills...it is adding up. If the strike lasts a month...the union will have paid out enough money to have covered the employee portion of the premium for THREE YEARS! In other words, the union is rich enough to pay these premiums, but instead encourages their members to go out on strike!

You bet I'm crossing these picket lines. I think these people need to get a grip on reality and be thankful for the good deal they have.

(I'll get off my soapbox now.)

unicorn9149
10-21-2003, 08:55 AM
Insurance premiums have gone up so high that we were considering dropping them. We paid out over $400 a month for the 2 of us. Went to the Dr. twice last year bills were $250 and insurance paid nothing. This year alone we have paid out $2000 in dental and the insurance paid nothing. We both broke a tooth and had to have a crown put in DH's new insurance doesn't pay for crowns until you are covered for a year. I now have new insurance costing me under $5 a week. By dropping me off DH's policy we save over $300 a month!

ckerr4
10-21-2003, 09:16 AM
At Safeway, (Von's), part-time employee's don't receive fulltime benefits. (My husband works for Safeway.)

Also, many of them would like to work fulltime, but the company won't hire them fulltime, because of benefits.

In addition, if you do cross the picket lines, it wil make it harder on the replacement workers, many who are in fact managers from other stores around the country (I know this - my husband almost had to go). This only underscores the necessity of getting the regular workers back in, and so many union reps and striking workers would in fact like for you to cross the picket lines (as a customer).

Princess4J
10-21-2003, 09:54 AM
WE NEVER SHOP AT VONS, RALPHS OR ALBERTSONS.
BECAUSE MY HUSBAND THINKS THE SAME AS YOU DO KELSEY
GUESS WHERE HE WENT GROCERY SHOPPING AFTER WORK LAST WEEK ?

VONS.:D

THIS IS A MAN WHO HATES TO GROCERY SHOP.
I TOO BELIEVE THEY HAD A GREAT DEAL.
THEY ARE MAKING UP TO $15 AN HR.
MOST HAVE NO COLLEGE EDUCATION.
SO W/O A COLLEGE EDUCATION THATS A PRETTY GOOD HOURLY WAGE.

momfromTN
10-21-2003, 12:30 PM
WE pay $500 a month for health insurance. So those striking workers can kiss my behind as far as I am concerned. So what if the part timers don't get benefits? Most places that hire part timers don't, that I know of. And $15 an hour? Dang! That is more than my husband makes doing a skilled job. They ought to be ashamed and be darn thankful for their jobs. The company could shut down the stores, you know. This day and age, when companies are greedy and selling off to Mexico, or wherever, and closing down in the US, they ought to be glad they are not on the unemployment line.

Now, flame away!:mad: :D

zitra
10-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by momfromTN
WE pay $500 a month for health insurance. So those striking workers can kiss my behind as far as I am concerned. So what if the part timers don't get benefits? Most places that hire part timers don't, that I know of. And $15 an hour? Dang! That is more than my husband makes doing a skilled job. They ought to be ashamed and be darn thankful for their jobs. The company could shut down the stores, you know. This day and age, when companies are greedy and selling off to Mexico, or wherever, and closing down in the US, they ought to be glad they are not on the unemployment line.

I Agree

debbyfaye
10-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Our grocery stores are on strike here in St. Louis and there is absolutely no WAY I will cross a picket line of any sort.

They are striking to get a better life for their families. If I cross the picket lines I am putting money in the pockets of the millionaire owners.

I come from a strong Union family and was a member of the CWA myself and if we don't stand strong for one another, we'll all be living on minimum wage before long.

How inconvenient is it to drive a little farther or bag my own groceries? Not too.

momfromTN
10-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by debbyfaye
Our grocery stores are on strike here in St. Louis and there is absolutely no WAY I will cross a picket line of any sort.

They are striking to get a better life for their families. If I cross the picket lines I am putting money in the pockets of the millionaire owners.

I come from a strong Union family and was a member of the CWA myself and if we don't stand strong for one another, we'll all be living on minimum wage before long.

How inconvenient is it to drive a little farther or bag my own groceries? Not too.

They are not striking for those reasons.
My dad, grandpas and uncles are and were all union men. I could see if these people were making terrible wages, etc. They are not. They are striking simply because they might actually have to pay a SMALL premium on health insurance.

harloo
10-21-2003, 01:42 PM
I have to say I admire anyone who fights for justice no matter what issue it may be. In general I think the public has gotten to comfortable with manipulation of Coporate America.

In California where they are striking I applaud them. The cost of living in this state is very high. Making $15 an hour is a pretty decent salary, however if you live here that alone cannot substain a family at all. Also, the cashiers make that much, but the baggers etc. don't pull that in.

I think loyal employees should fight for their benefits. Most of them dedicate their lives to a company, and all the company want's to do is take away their benefits.

It's pretty sad. Now while other low paying jobs offer no benefits or a very high package, I hope the employees of Safeway, Vons, etc win their fight. If they win then it will set a standard for grocery stores, and other blue collar jobs that are ready to take away their coverage of employees.

Will I cross the picket line? No. Surely their will be customers who will remain loyal to their store, and will not care. It's a personal choice, however why get mad at someone fighting for better conditions on their job? Doing so seems a bit unfair IMO.

Are the employees asking for too much? No. They are only asking that the company keep their same package that was given to them when they first started which IMO seems very fair.

debbyfaye
10-21-2003, 01:52 PM
You stated it perfectly, Harloo.

When you cross a picket line the only people who profit are the owners of the business.

Sure, the replacement workers get paid, but as soon as that strike is over do you think they'll be offered a job? Not hardly.

They may be striking over an increase in insurance premiums, but do they give them a raise along with the new contract agreement that can offset that? Probably not.

I worked in the Insurance industry also, an HMO owned by Snoopy. I know exactly how much profit is made by the insurance companies and how much is a write off. Do you really think that if they were losing money they would still be in business? It's another rant entirely, but companies can shop around to get lower prices on insurance premiums.

You have every right to cross a picket line if you want, but you're only hurting other people's families and making the shop owners a little more spending money by doing so.

flute
10-21-2003, 01:55 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! NO company pays for insurance anymore. Mike just started at Allied & we have to pay for our insurance. Allied IS freaking health care..*for sighness
Some part time employees do get health/medical/etc. I know the local school district pays for health/medical of their aid's/para's (still dunno the difference tween the 2)

and momfromTN, yea in STL they are striking for insurance. That's what the news channels are reporting & I back 'em! Course I am not inconvenienced, cus we have a local chain, but still...

Kelsey1224
10-21-2003, 01:59 PM
I, too, am from a union family. My father was a business agent for Operating Engineers which is a division of Teamsters. This is a very strong union.

I remember many "back room" meetings being held at our home while I was growing up. I remember discussions of men laughing about what they could get now, under the new contract. They were laughing because they couldn't think of anything new to ask for. They already had some of the best benefits around.

There are still a few industries where unions serve a purpose, but my personal opinion is that they have outlived their usefulness. JMHO.

I do believe that the employees are asking too much. Just because I have received an annual increase doesn't mean that I should expect one year after year. I earn that increase. I don't even personally believe that an employer owes me anything more than fair wages for the work I perform. The fact that I get benefits on top of my salary is great! Benefits can even been considered as part of my compensation.

If I don't like the terms of my employment, I have the option of leaving. With the economy as bad as it is...I am truly thankful to have a job.

These people had a sweetheart contract. I have no problem with that. But the contract has expired and the economic environment has changed. Most of the rest of the nation is taking a hit with regard to their health care...I don't see why these people should be excluded.

NOTE: And if you all think that the health care crisis is bad enough...please know that employers are now evaluating the pension plans they offer. What with lower interest rates and lower returns on investments, employers are having to pay more for this benefit as well. Expect changes in these areas in the future.

debbyfaye
10-21-2003, 02:00 PM
They are also paying the replacement workers more than some of the checkers who have worked for 5 years make! What good companies.

The premiums on their insurance are going up $25 to $50 per week. Co-pays up to $20 per prescription. They are offering them a raise though. The baggers were going to get a nickel. :rolleyes:

momfromTN
10-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Well, I won't shop at Albertsons here because Walmart is SO much cheaper. But, I still don't think striking will do them any good. In that industry, people are easily replaced, unfortunately. While I am not in favor of a strike, I hope it ends soon in their favor.

Princess4J
10-21-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Kelsey1224

If I don't like the terms of my employment, I have the option of leaving. With the economy as bad as it is...I am truly thankful to have a job.

These people had a sweetheart contract. I have no problem with that. But the contract has expired and the economic environment has changed. Most of the rest of the nation is taking a hit with regard to their health care...I don't see why these people should be excluded.

ITA

They are also paying the replacement workers more than some of the checkers who have worked for 5 years make! What good companies.

THE REPLACEMENT WORKERS SHOULD BE PAID MORE.
THEY HAVE TO DEAL WITH HARRASSMENT EVERYDAY, GOING TO & FROM WORK.

zitra
10-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Princess4J
ITA

THE REPLACEMENT WORKERS SHOULD BE PAID MORE.
THEY HAVE TO DEAL WITH HARRASSMENT EVERYDAY, GOING TO & FROM WORK.

ITA!!

debbyfaye
10-21-2003, 02:20 PM
You can think that, but there are absolutely no acts of violence being committed or threats being issued here. Most of our workers are locked out and couldn't work if they wanted.

People can justify anything if they want to. One of my neighbors is working as a replacement worker. Her husband works at Boeing and is a union machinist making $28.50 an hour. It's okay for her to be working as a scab? No, it's not.

I personally think that if the replacement workers get insults spoken to them that they deserve it.

If they are so desperate for a job, there is always a McDonalds or Burger King around to work at. Hell, White Castle pays $10 an hour and has benefits.

Kelsey1224
10-21-2003, 02:24 PM
The premiums on their insurance are going up $25 to $50 per week. Co-pays up to $20 per prescription. They are offering them a raise though. The baggers were going to get a nickel. :rolleyes:

In California the employees will pay $5 a week for individual coverage and $15 for family coverage. I don't know what their co-pay will be for prescription.

My co-pay is $20 PLUS 10% of the actual charged cost of the medication. For one of my regular prescriptions the total cost to me is $48! (That means that it would cost me $280 if I didn't have my insurance.)

I pay $39 each week for my share of my medical/dental coverage (which covers hubby and I). I also know that this only represents 17% of the total cost of the insurance. Disney picks up the remaining 83% or approximately $764 per month.

Like I said...I would love to only have to pay $15 per week.

Anyway...it is nice that we can all agree to disagree on this one. We all have our own take on the issue and that's what makes the world go around.

schsa
10-21-2003, 02:33 PM
You pay replacement workers more because they know that they are passing a picket line and they also know that they may not be working there very long. Plus I am sure that many of those workers are from temp agencies and their salaries are generally a bit higher than most.

Secondly, the fact that they are being asked to pay a minimal amount for health insurance should not be a big deal. There are very few big companies that pay 100% of any employee's health insurance any more. The costs are skyrocketing to companies and without some sort of contribution to set off costs, they have to cut somewhere else. So goodbye to union workers because we can't afford to keep them. Goodbye to paid vacation time, retirement, dental care, and so much that is offered to employees that we take for granted as part of an employment contract. Our insurance at my company went up 37% this year alone. That means that my company has to absorb the additional cost of my medical insurance and hope that they can make enough money that they don't go under. Do you have any idea how many small companies go under when an employee becomes very ill, or an employees child? They find that they cannot pay the premiums and all of their employess are out of medical care because of the cost of insurance to their company. I've seen it happen. I worked in medical insurance for 9 years. I know what happens.

Go ahead and strike over $60 a month. And when the strike is over, it will have cost each employee more than that in lost wages and unpaid bills. Go ahead because the people in charge of your union are still collecting their wages while you are trying to find out how you are going to pay your mortgage or food for the table. You just spent more than your premium and it will take you months to recover. And the day you go back to work, your union will be collecting their dues regardless of whether your child needs shoes to go to school or not.

Princess4J
10-21-2003, 02:35 PM

I personally think that if the replacement workers get insults spoken to them that they deserve it.

WHY DO THEY DESERVE IT ??
THEY ARE WORKING LONG HOURS, BEING HARRASSED, VERBALLY ASSAULTED.
THESE ARE PEOPLE WHO DOING WHAT THEY HAVE TO, IN ORDER
TO HELP SUPPORT THEIR FAMILIES. THEY DO NOT "DESERVE' THE INSULTS.

LindaL.
10-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Who cares... I know I don't. I'll still shop anywhere that is striking.. always have and always will. To me striking over insurance is petty. I don't get insurance where I work nor do I expect them to provide it for me. If a company came to me and said they'll give me insurance for 15 a week I'ld be all over it...

Scab or no scab the replacement workers are just trying to make some money. I hate the name scab. They do deserve more, they got hired on extremely short notice, don't know the system and have people calling them names. i would want more too!

Strikes shouldn't be called for over insurance, poor working condition-yes, sexual harrasement-yes, having to still pay less then everyone else for health insurance- NO NO NO NO!

harloo
10-21-2003, 03:02 PM
WHY DO THEY DESERVE IT ??
THEY ARE WORKING LONG HOURS, BEING HARRASSED, VERBALLY ASSAULTED.
THESE ARE PEOPLE WHO DOING WHAT THEY HAVE TO, IN ORDER
TO HELP SUPPORT THEIR FAMILIES. THEY DO NOT "DESERVE' THE INSULTS.

I feel they deserve it, because they came in the condition of the job knowing full well that they were getting into. I will never knock a strike breaker for hustling money for their family, but if you do this routinely then expect to work under these conditions.

Also, I have never even heard of replacement workers of Albertson's stores being assaulted.

ckerr4
10-21-2003, 03:02 PM
I don't think health insurance is a petty issue. I think it's a pretty big deal. Think of the people who really need it - people with chronic conditions, people who need mediccations on a regular basis, people with children, etc. You can say, "I don't have it, must be nice" - well, yes it is! That what the unions do! They negotiate and get their members good health benefits so that those people have insurance. Why be bitter towards those who have good fortune?

And you want to know the truth about the replacement workers in CA? They're calling in managers from stores around the country. They're not getting special pay or benefits. They're not making "California wages" for their time in the CA stores. They can earn overtime, and I assume they'll be paid transport, room and board. But nothing special. They're having vacations cancelled, training cancelled, family functions interrupted, they're being ordered to go out to CA to act as checkers, sackers, frozen food clerks, deli workers, etc. The replacement workers aren't generally getting a good deal. This is because many of them already work for the company. (I'm speaking of Von's now). So Von's can somewhat contain their costs.. They don't have to train anyone. They don't have to worry about hiring anyone afterwards.
Clever of them, huh :rolleyes: And the only people who suffer still are the striking workers and the families of the managers across the country who were sent to CA.

harloo
10-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by ckerr4
I don't think health insurance is a petty issue. I think it's a pretty big deal. Think of the people who really need it - people with chronic conditions, people who need mediccations on a regular basis, people with children, etc. You can say, "I don't have it, must be nice" - well, yes it is! That what the unions do! They negotiate and get their members good health benefits so that those people have insurance. Why be bitter towards those who have good fortune?

ITA

Princess4J
10-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by harloo

Also, I have never even heard of replacement workers of Albertson's stores being assaulted.

VERBALLY ASSAULTED.

STRIKERS ARE SAYING THINGS TO THESE WORKERS.

NOT ALL REPLACEMENT WORKERS ARE FROM OTHER STATES.
I KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS WORKING AS A REPLACEMENT WORKER AT VONS.

harloo
10-21-2003, 03:14 PM
STRIKERS ARE SAYING THINGS TO THESE WORKERS.

NOT ALL REPLACEMENT WORKERS ARE FROM OTHER STATES.
I KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS WORKING AS A REPLACEMENT WORKER AT VONS.

Well, if you are a strike breaker then shouldn't you expect this kind of behaviour?

Does anyone expect the employee's to treat them like best friends?

ckerr4
10-21-2003, 03:16 PM
not all of course! There's not that many safeway/von's stores around the country! But many.

Trust me, I'm not just making it up! lol

I agree with what the unions are doing. If they were striking here, I would shop somewhere else. Sometimes the unions' tactics don't always seem right to people, but if we knew about the tactics of the companies' themselves, I doubt their tactics would seem right either.

jonette5
10-21-2003, 03:17 PM
There is a name for anyone who crosses a picket line and that is SCAB!!! Be it to patronize the company or to be a replacement worker...they are SCABS!!!!!

I live in the St. Louis area where the grocery stores are on strike...even though it is an inconvienance for me I WILL NOT be a SCAB! There are plenty of other places to do my shopping.

All I have to say is to anyone who chooses to be a SCAB, you deserve all the insults you get! Those picketers are fighting for their rights and have the guts to stand up to Corporate America, and you are hurting them by being a SCAB! I hope that you never are in trouble and need any type of help from your community, cuz I can assure you, you will have tons of people whose picket line you crossed making sure you do not get the support or help you need or want! Those picketers will remember names and faces of all the SCABS!

I am Union strong and Union Proud! To all the grocery store workers on strike here and in California....here's one person that has got your back!

Princess4J
10-21-2003, 03:22 PM
:rolleyes:

I SUPPORT MY FRIEND.
I WILL SHOP WHERE I WANT, WHEN I WANT, REGARDLESS OF WHO
I HAVE TO WALK AROUND TO DO IT.

Angelseyes28
10-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Ok guys keep it civil in here. I don't want to have to pull this thread but it can be arranged if need be.

LindaL.
10-21-2003, 03:25 PM
God.. I'm so sick of unions.. I'm not bitter towards people who have insurance I really don't care. I pay for it already out of my own pocket. Yeah its great if you get it through your work but its not worth striking over and causing undue stress to fellow employess because you don't want to pay for it. Its consider a perk these days and I think they should be happy to have a job these days especially with the way the economy is.

hystera
10-21-2003, 03:31 PM
I am in Bakersfield, CA., where the strike is also going strong. Here was the scene last night when I went grocery shopping-Striker:Hello, we are trying to get the customers to shop else where in support of us. Me:Do you even know my name? Striker:Hu. Me: No my name is not Hu, my name is Gina ######, and I have been shopping here for 8 1/2 years, you NEVER bothered asking my name, or even when my son was born, even acknowledging that I had even had a baby. But yet now you act like my best friend. I only support my friends and you sir are not one of them. Striker: Don't you even care about us? Me: No, I care about my family and friends. Striker: So you have no pity for us at all? Me: Not one moment do I even think of you, other than being bothered when I am trying to shop. I proceeded to shop for my groceries and got $20.00 off my purchase and received a FREE pumpkin for my son. Total savings for crossing the picket line, $50.67. ( I bonus buy shop also) Now all you strike supporters can support all you want, but the rest of us have a right to our opinion also. I am not putting anyone down for there opinions, so don't attack us that cross the line. I did not draw the line, I just look for the best deals.

DBackFan
10-21-2003, 03:37 PM
I also live in Bakersfield so you can vouch for me on the fact that we have had TWO major assaults in town from the picketers. I personally have crossed and will again but they made it miserable last time. Stood in front of me handing out flyers to another store in town. Talk about cutting their own throats!! It made me so mad I spent double what I might have! (besides they had an awesome 10 for 10.00 sale) This was at Albertsons but someones from Ralphs went away in an ambulance the other day.

I say GET OVER YOURSERLVES ALREADY!! The store parking lots are getting fuller everyday this goes on because they just aren't waiting anymore.

hystera
10-21-2003, 03:44 PM
I am with you DBackfan, but these store picketers who think they are so "tough", need to remember that "us" shoppers will remember all insults and verbal harassment garbage that they throw out. I am a mother of 3 great boys, but let one of them get in my face... I can still punch like a 15 year old and if threatened... I will punch someones lights out.

Princess4J
10-21-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by jonette5
I hope that you never are in trouble and need any type of help from your community, cuz I can assure you, you will have tons of people whose picket line you crossed making sure you do not get the support or help you need or want! Those picketers will remember names and faces of all the SCABS!

Originally posted by hystera
Me:Do you even know my name? Striker:Hu. Me: No my name is not Hu, my name is Gina ######, and I have been shopping here for 8 1/2 years, you NEVER bothered asking my name, or even when my son was born, even acknowledging that I had even had a baby. But yet now you act like my best friend. I only support my friends and you sir are not one of them. Striker: Don't you even care about us? Me: No, I care about my family and friends. Striker: So you have no pity for us at all? Me: Not one moment do I even think of you, other than being bothered when I am trying to shop.

THESE PEOPLE DID'T PAY ATTENTION TO US SHOPPERS
BEFORE THE STRIKE. :rolleyes:

harloo
10-21-2003, 03:48 PM
In general I think the problem in our society is everyone is concerned about themselves. It's almost like people are self consumed, but in a capatilistic society why should we expect otherwise?

Certainly everyone has a right to their opinions, noone is refuting that fact. However, I am just voicing a concern about Coporate America and their deceit. Why is their a need for a union if working conditions are fair?

The reason for the unions is to improve the quality of the life for those employees of that company. Considering that the workers are not highly paid, is asking for the company not to change their health care package too much?

Certainly in ANY strike you will run into those employees who are overbearing, however if you chose to go in an enviornment where people are fighting for their life then why is it a big suprise of your treatment?

:confused:

ckerr4
10-21-2003, 03:49 PM
THESE PEOPLE DID'T PAY ATTENTION TO US SHOPPERS :rolleyes:

You never had a good or even decent experience in a Ralphs, Vons, or Albertsons, with any employee - cashier, sacker, or clerk of any sort?

All the employees, as I understand it, with the exception of the managers, are striking. Surely an employee in one of the locations in CA in one of those chains was friendly or helpful.

Surely there are some of them who deserve a decent life.

Princess4J
10-21-2003, 03:53 PM
You never had a good or even decent experience in a Ralphs, Vons, or Albertsons, with any employee - cashier, sacker, or clerk of any sort?

All the employees, as I understand it, with the exception of hte managers, are striking. Surely an employee in one of the locations in CA in one of those chains was friendly or helpful.

Surely there are some of them who deserve a decent life.

LET'S SEE ....
THE WOMAN IN THE BAKERY MADE MY DAUGHTERS CAKE WRONG
FOR HER BIRTHDAY, THE CHECKER WHO IS ALWAYS TALKING TO THE
OTHER CHECKERS ABOUT HER LOVE LIFE, NO, SHE WASN'T HELPFUL.

SHOPPERS GO TO A STORE FOR THE SALES, NOT THE EMPLOYEES.

WHO HERE HAS EVER SAID,
"I'LL GO TO VONS BECAUSE THAT CHECKER IS JUST SO NICE"

:confused: :confused:

ckerr4
10-21-2003, 03:57 PM
lol, of course you go to shop, but while you were there, every time, every employee was always rude, always unhelpful, always inconsiderate, etc.?

I've had bad shopping experiences at places. But if pressed, I would say that there are employees there that are basically nice people. There are basically nice people everywhere who deserve better treatment. Why assume that they don't deserve better? That just because healthcare elsewhere is crap, they deserve the same crap? That's a logical fallacy, to say that Americal healthcare in general is not good and is becoming more expensive, so they should just suck it up and take the expensive, not-so-good healthcare.

So I guess you've never encountered a good employee at any of those stores then? :confused:

hystera
10-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Yeah I remember 8 years ago when I was on WIC, due to my husband having a heart attack.(Hey I should have started a strike), this one NICE.. checker was having a bad morning I guess, and I presented my WIC coupons. She LOUDLY informed me that "I was a day too early to cash in my WIC coupons and to come back tomorrow when my WIC coupons would be honored". I left that store with my head down and my face beet red. Only to discover when I got home that my coupons were indeed good for that day. i raced back to Albertsons and marched up to her and said " you were wrong a few moments ago, my coupons are indeed good today". All she said was "oh, I guess I looked at them wrong". I can not wait for her to approach me and ask for my support of her platform. I am rubbing my hands waiting for her.

LindaL.
10-21-2003, 04:01 PM
If they want better healthcare and the company they are working can't provide it perhaps they should look at another job. I think they need to get over it.

zitra
10-21-2003, 04:37 PM
:rolleyes:

I SUPPORT MY FRIEND.
I WILL SHOP WHERE I WANT, WHEN I WANT, REGARDLESS OF WHO
I HAVE TO WALK AROUND TO DO IT.

I agree, I will go to whichever store has the best prices that particular day. I will not spend extra money/take $ away from my kids that could be used elsewhere in the household JUST becuase people may be picketing a certain store...

zitra
10-21-2003, 04:43 PM
lol, of course you go to shop, but while you were there, every time, every employee was always rude, always unhelpful, always inconsiderate, etc.?

I've had bad shopping experiences at places. But if pressed, I would say that there are employees there that are basically nice people. There are basically nice people everywhere who deserve better treatment. Why assume that they don't deserve better? That just because healthcare elsewhere is crap, they deserve the same crap? That's a logical fallacy, to say that Americal healthcare in general is not good and is becoming more expensive, so they should just suck it up and take the expensive, not-so-good healthcare.

So I guess you've never encountered a good employee at any of those stores then? :confused:

I may get flamed for this but....
I do not care who rings up my purchase as long as I ma gettign a good deal, and they ring the purchase up right. I couldn't give a hoot about how nice so and so was/how mean this guy was, I don't go to a store for how an employee acts/doesn't act. I go there becuase they have something I need/becuase they have the best price/I will get more for my $.
If people here started picketing my favorite store (yes I have both good and bad experiences here) he** yes I would cross the line!! I shp there becuase they have the best deals, NO I will not shop down the street and spend more, just becuase people are picketing, if that makes me a scab, so be it..I would rahter be a scab then someone who takes food out of my kids mouth (if I went to shop at a different store that is what I would be doing~spending more, getting less).

Donnagg123
10-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by zitra
I may get flamed for this but....
I do not care who rings up my purchase as long as I ma gettign a good deal, and they ring the purchase up right. I couldn't give a hoot about how nice so and so was/how mean this guy was, I don't go to a store for how an employee acts/doesn't act. I go there becuase they have something I need/becuase they have the best price/I will get more for my $.
If people here started picketing my favorite store (yes I have both good and bad experiences here) he** yes I would cross the line!! I shp there becuase they have the best deals, NO I will not shop down the street and spend more, just becuase people are picketing, if that makes me a scab, so be it..I would rahter be a scab then someone who takes food out of my kids mouth (if I went to shop at a different store that is what I would be doing~spending more, getting less).

I have to agree. And just remember it is us "scabs" that keep you having a job in the first place and still do after the strike! You can be mad at the owners all you want, but you cannot fault someone for wanting to save money. The people striking would probably shop at a store that was striking if they needed to save money too. If the gas company was striking would you not pay your bill to support the cause and get your gas shutoff?

AngelGrim
10-21-2003, 05:19 PM
My hubby has no medical insurance and we are looking for work where he can get it, to expensive to not have it at all.

Unicornmom77
10-21-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by momfromTN

I agree with you and zitra also!

harloo
10-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by AngelGrim
My hubby has no medical insurance and we are looking for work where he can get it, to expensive to not have it at all.

Ever thought of becoming a strike breaker? Of course if you hubby becomes a full time employee don't expect the public to care about him fighting for proper health care.

You know, the public cannot live without their "deals". :D

Donnagg123
10-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by harloo
Ever thought of becoming a strike breaker? Of course if you hubby becomes a full time employee don't expect the public to care about him fighting for proper health care.

You know, the public cannot live without their "deals". :D

It is not that I don't care about the people who are striking or their cause, it is just when it comes to people getting more insurance or my family getting the most food for the money...I am sorry but I will choose family every time. It is not just "deals". For some people, the only way they can survive is by saving as much as they can on food. For a family that make less than 12k a year I have to get the most out of my money and make it stretch and last. If I was to strike with them what would that accomplish for my family? I have no problem with them striking, but I gotta think about my family first.

debbyfaye
10-21-2003, 05:56 PM
Do you people who cross picket lines not have Aldi's? Sav A Lot's? Super Walmart, Super Target? Butcher Shops?

That's how you can do buy cheaper groceries anyway.

I'm not going to argue with you, maybe the people in the Midwest have a stronger blue collar worker attitude/ethic.

Either you get it or you don't. It's not about the convenience of driving a block to the store, it's about preserving someone's right to earn a decent living.

Here in the St. Louis are the grocery stores are still empty or have very few shoppers.

The power of the people at work.

Kelsey1224
10-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Do you people who cross picket lines not have Aldi's? Sav A Lot's? Super Walmart, Super Target? Butcher Shops?

I'm not going to argue with you, maybe the people in the Midwest have a stronger blue collar worker attitude/ethic.

Either you get it or you don't. It's not about the convenience of driving a block to the store, it's about preserving someone's right to earn a decent living.

Here in the St. Louis are the grocery stores are still empty or have very few shoppers.

As a matter of fact I have never heard of or seen an Aldi's or Sav-a-Lots here in S. California. Nor do we have Super Walmarts or Super Targets either...at least in my area.

It has nothing to do with the convenience of driving a block to the store and everything to do with my not supporting the strikers. These workers are already earning a decent living. It has everything to do with our economy and the financial hit that the rest of us have ALREADY taken for our health care coverage.

Either you get that or you don't. Regardless, I respect your right to your opinion and won't question your ethics just because you happen to disagree with me.

Princess4J
10-21-2003, 06:15 PM

DON'T HAVE THESE IN SO. CALIFORNIA.

DIDN'T MATTER IF WE DID, I GO WHERE I WANT - REGARDLESS.

DBackFan
10-21-2003, 06:17 PM
DON'T HAVE THESE IN SO. CALIFORNIA.

DIDN'T MATTER IF WE DID, I GO WHERE I WANT - REGARDLESS.

ditto

zitra
10-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Donnagg123
It is not that I don't care about the people who are striking or their cause, it is just when it comes to people getting more insurance or my family getting the most food for the money...I am sorry but I will choose family every time. It is not just "deals". For some people, the only way they can survive is by saving as much as they can on food. For a family that make less than 12k a year I have to get the most out of my money and make it stretch and last. If I was to strike with them what would that accomplish for my family? I have no problem with them striking, but I gotta think about my family first.

ITA!! That was exactly my point!!

Donnagg123
10-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Yes I do as a matter of fact, but something else we have that is great here in America is FREEDOM OF CHOICE

Not true. I save better than Aldi's at major stores with my coupons :)

Just because someone is not from the midwest and does not support these people doesn not mean they do not have a "strong blue collar worker attitude/ethic".

You are right, but it goes the both ways. I have no problem with someone trying to earn a decent living. But again take it out on the owners not the patrons. Aren't these protesters infringing on other peoples rights to save some of the money they earn thereby infringing on their right to make a decent living as well?

Here in the St. Louis are the grocery stores are still empty or have very few shoppers. The power of the people at work.
I am happy for you, but it does not mean because I shop somewhere that I do not support their cause.

Princess4J
10-21-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Donnagg123

[B]I'm not going to argue with you, maybe the people in the Midwest have a stronger blue collar worker attitude/ethic.
Just because someone is not from the midwest and does not support these people doesn not mean they do not have a "strong blue collar worker attitude/ethic".

You are right, but it goes the both ways. I have no problem with someone trying to earn a decent living. But again take it out on the owners not the patrons. Aren't these protesters infringing on other peoples rights to save some of the money they earn thereby infringing on their right to make a decent living as well?

WELL SAID.

zitra
10-21-2003, 06:32 PM

I am from the midwest, and in some cases the store you listed (that I do have near me) do not have the better deals..I can at times get better deals at other stores with sales & coupons...I don't care what a stores regular prices are I go to the stores that have the best prices at the particualr time.. Isearch sales for the best deals. Sometimes stores like Walmart will have better deals, but if it is on sale at another store I will go to the other store, and if I have a coupon that makes me even more likely to go to the stoe with the item on sale..

I don't think it has anything ot do with a better ethic. It has to do with people living on a limited income trying to get as much for their dollar as they can. If someone is striking my fav. store sure I can go across the street and pay .10 more for what I need, but I am not going to waste money I could save/need for something else..those dimes add up, and with all of the school fees/feild trips/cubscout fees, etc. we have here I need every penny I have!! I don't care if i is only saving 1 cent or 5 cents, I will go to the store with the cheaper price!!

Oh BTW if you use coupons/along with items on sale in stores that double, you can get things cheaper at biggers stores than stores like aldis.

twinkiesmom
10-21-2003, 06:34 PM
I sure wish I only had to pay $15.00 a week for my health care coverage!

I have a friend that works about 40hrs who would love be even be offered insurance!! She's considered part time and they aren't offered medical!!

debbyfaye
10-21-2003, 06:34 PM
My last post because obviously y'all don't care. I don't live in California, so I don't know what your personal situation is like.

Do you not realize that the reason most of you make decent wages if you aren't a professional is because of unions? You can break it down and he said/she said all you want, but it's the truth.

Teamsters and the AFL/CIO made sure that non-professionals everywhere are responsible for that

twinkiesmom
10-21-2003, 06:44 PM
IMO - Nowadays, if you have a job making any kind of wage. You are lucky. Next month, the next 'decent' wage making person might lose their job.

zitra
10-21-2003, 06:44 PM
My last post because obviously y'all don't care. I don't live in California, so I don't know what your personal situation is like.

Do you not realize that the reason most of you make decent wages if you aren't a professional is because of unions? You can break it down and he said/she said all you want, but it's the truth.

Teamsters and the AFL/CIO made sure that non-professionals everywhere are responsible for that

I think that is where you are misunderstanding most of us..I NEVER said I didn't care, I said I care about my family, and feeding my kids a decent meal more...I live paycheck to paycheck..I have to make sure my grocery budget feeds my family for the 2 weeks, until the next paycheck...Now if I can find a store that helps me stretch a dollar a little further that is where I will go. My going to a different store, could well mean that I would not have food for 1-2 days for my kids, becuase of the prices...I go to the store/stores I do becuase they accept my coupons, have good prices already, have great sale prices, and sometimes double. I do not think that wanting to make sure that my children have food to eat EVERY DAY means I don't care, it means I am taking care of my family!!

Show me somone in my position, who shops at a differnt store, becuase people are picketing, if that ends up meaning they don't have enough money to provide food for their kids for the entire month/2 weeks (or however long they have between paychecks) and I will show you someone who should be charged with child neglect...if you can provide the food to you kids/family by shopping at a certain store, and don't (or choose not ot for ANY reason) that is what it would be, because that person would have chose to support the strikers OVER feeding their children/family...

But hey if you have the money to be able to pick and choose where you shop, go ahead, more power to you, but not everyone has that priveledge/chance...

Kelsey1224
10-21-2003, 06:47 PM

I absolutely agree with the statement. There was a time where unions changed working conditions...for the better. As I said earlier, with the exception of a few select industries, I believe unions have outlived their usefulness.

I am not a blue collar worker, but when I was first hired at Disney, it was in a union position. There is a union here for certain office support positions. I disliked the union immensely. It rewarded mediocrity and only helped those who were lousy employees. Those of us who were good performers didn't need the union. We all got the same raise whether or not we deserved it. I was thrilled when our jobs were reclassified as non-union.

Frankly, I prefer my raises to be based on my merit...not on some arbitrary schedule.

tataannie
10-21-2003, 06:47 PM
my hubbie works for Frys here in AZ and we live in a small town..him and about 80% of his store have decided to withdraw from the union, what it boils down to is that we all have families to support and we can't afford to go on stirke. I he stikes then he gets $100 a week in strike pay (vs the $700 a week he normally brings in) and if he crosses the picket line then he will be charged a $1000 a day. This is total bs over health care. We have worked without heatlh plan or even had to pay them and we can do it again!!! He is not the only one in his store that feels this way. screw the other bs, he didn't go to work for them for the health plan he went for the PAY CHECK ! ! !

Its my opinion so take it or leave it ! !!

I am back and I am proud to support my husband ! ! !

Tataannie

tataannie
10-21-2003, 07:57 PM
my hubbie works for Frys here in AZ and we live in a small town..him and about 80% of his store have decided to withdraw from the union, what it boils down to is that we all have families to support and we can't afford to go on stirke. I he stikes then he gets $100 a week in strike pay (vs the $700 a week he normally brings in) and if he crosses the picket line then he will be charged a $1000 a day. This is total bs over health care. We have worked without heatlh plan or even had to pay them and we can do it again!!! He is not the only one in his store that feels this way. screw the other bs, he didn't go to work for them for the health plan he went for the PAY CHECK ! ! !

Its my opinion so take it or leave it ! !!

I am back and I am proud to support my husband ! ! !

Tataannie

suziebee20
10-21-2003, 08:05 PM
We just returned from VONS, there was one guy sitting on a bench holding his sign, reading a paper, and then there was a circle of about 6 people all with their signs down, standing around talking about their kids in school, we walked right in, not one of them said or did anything... while leaving, one of the guys out there was inside buying cheese sticks. It seems every store in my area at least, is the same. On our way there at Albertsons, the only people out there was a boy about 14 and 2 little girls, probably someone's children, because I doubt these youngsters worked at Albertsons. I've got no opinion either way regarding the strike, but I will say one thing, for people who want to earn a decent living, that like most have said they are already getting, a lot of people here act like they don't give a hoot. Just my thoughts.

annie169
10-21-2003, 08:26 PM
My husband is a meatcutter for a NONUNION FAMILY OWNED CHAIN of Grocery stores here in So California. He makes LESS THAN the employees of the striking stores by QUITE A BIT....between $3-5 an hour ($120-200 A WEEK). Yeah...WE'D LOVE HEALTH INSURANCE....but it was costing us $480 A MONTH for a family of 4. Yes, there were deductibles, copays for doctor visits, prescriptions, and that was only HEALTH...if we wanted dental or vision....try an extra $80 a month. OK???

He!! yes, I'm crossing the picket lines. And YES... MY HUBBY IS SCABBING MAKING THAT EXTRA $5 AN HOUR THAT HE WONT EVER GET AT HIS CURRENT STORE plus working his regular job so that we can "get ahead" and put some savings away that we can't afford to do otherwise. He works full time, I am a WAHM. We makes about $2,000 a month. Our living expenses are over half that (house, utilities) plus our food for a family of 4, car payments and all that. We barely survive some months.

DBackFan
10-21-2003, 08:29 PM
((((annie169)))))

catssass
10-21-2003, 08:39 PM
My family is a STRONG believers in unions, my hubby is a meatcutter in a major grocery store here, the union is fighting for our well being as well as yours,we are fighting for our jobs, as well as healthcare, my husbands meat dept used to have 10-12 meatcutters several years ago, but now its just him and another guy, WHY? because of all the prepackaged pork & chicken that is sold, there is no more swinging beef, now they are trying to replace cashiers with self serve cash registers, and don't get me started on the WALMARTS and SUPER CENTERS, they are all non-union, they pay lower wages and have few benefits,and no one to look after their best interests, these are going to be the jobs of the future, ones you kids will more than likely work at... and here it is nearly impossible anymore to be hired FULL time, partime people do NOT get the same benefits as FULL time people, but they DO get a fair wage and benefits, this is how our unions are trying to compete with the Walmarts and Super Centers...so PLEASE DO NOT cross the picket lines, give these people some SUPPORT!! Thanks, I'll get off my soapbox now....LOL

...AND ANNIE, I bet you would feel different if your hubby was EMPLOYED by that UNION store!!!
...just curious, why isn't he working in a union store?

ladybreaker
10-21-2003, 09:11 PM
o.k., i was not going to step in here,but,calling someone a "scab" for crossing a picket line to shop is WRONG!!not only is that NOT the definition of a "scab", ,people have a right to shop where they want to!!a "scab" is a non-union or union worker who crosses the picket line to work--not a customer,so--please--get it right!!i know this for a fact as i have been married to a teamster(local 969-longshoreman) for 16 years.IMHO--they are stirking for the wrong reason and are just being greedy!!

ladybreaker

twinkiesmom
10-21-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ladybreaker
IMHO--they are stirking for the wrong reason and are just being greedy!!

ITA

Sha
10-21-2003, 09:29 PM
My husband is a union worker...Some of you commented how Union workers are over payed and uneducated. Well I have to disagree. My husband is very well educated and very well underpaid! I live in Northern California, where rent for a 3 bedroom house goes for about $1500 or more a month. I pay $2.99 for a loaf of bread and over $3.00 per gallon of milk. We have a small business we run just to make it month to month. I don't know what I would do if they were to strike here, but what I have learned is that anywhere and everywhere corporates are getting the sweetness of every deal and all of us, union or non union are getting screwed out of making a decent living.
Do you think some of these strikers are there for the principal? I know my husband is sick after seeing how much of OUR KIDS money goes to the A**holes in the district office, and how much the kids and the classified workers are getting yanked! I think that is sad that there was a comment made about Union workers being uneducated and basically undeserving of a fair wage and benefits. We all deserve that. No family should be without healthcare! Until corporate america gets their head out of the hole and wakes up kids will go to bed hungry and kids will not go to the doctor because mom and dad cannot afford it. Striking is a very hard subject for me to imagine dealing with, but I don't think its fair to judge them all the same. Flame away...
Oh does anyone agree with telling the US Government to rid us of CORPORATE WELFARE???

annie169
10-21-2003, 10:17 PM
My husband is not working Union because they would not guarantee him 40 hour work weeks. He has cut meat for at least 20 years and was an active union member of the Meatcutters Union til they joined the Grocers Union which did not give them the same voice, benefits, and such as the Meatcutters did. He went to Meatcutter's school which is no longer in existance. He has customers come to him because he knows cuts of meat that others HAVE NO IDEA what they are!!! (even his own boss doesn't know some of these cuts). He is very up to date on the union and what they are striking for. Believe me...he would work a union job if they would guarantee him 40 hour work weeks. NONE OF THE UNION STORES HERE IN THE PALM SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA AREA HIRE "FULL TIME" MEATCUTTERS unless they are specialty managers. All this wealth here and the middle and low class people still get screwed.

Duo
10-21-2003, 10:49 PM
Unions Bite. Unions are nothing more than trouble makers. Think i'll leave it their.

Peter :)

Angelseyes28
10-22-2003, 04:03 AM
I think this thread has outlived it's usefulness and is now being closed.