PDA

View Full Version : Christmas...

joey74
10-20-2003, 05:49 AM
I want to put up our christmas tree a couple of weeks into november - But my husband thinks that is too early, that it should be after thanksgiving.......When do you all put up your tree?
I do have a little one who is impatient, she would forgo halloween alltogether and put the tree up today. I know I am overly excited about christmas, it is just so much fun with all the little ones this year. They are finally at an age were they understand whats going on and they get so tickled when ever they think about it. Every commercial that comes on I hear "mommy, me need santa to bring me that".. Is so cute. Thank heavens they play the same five adds over and over....
What do you all think..?

DAVESBABYDOLL
10-20-2003, 05:52 AM
Some people put a tree up Thnaksgiving night or the day after,Myeself I put a real tree up so I wait until December.

catssass
10-20-2003, 06:00 AM
We put ours up Thanksgiving weekend.. I have 3 tree's... LOL

MistyWolf
10-20-2003, 06:06 AM
We usually wait a couple weeks before Christmas .. we do a real tree so any earlier doesn't make much sense.

mikang
10-20-2003, 06:16 AM
When my dad was in the army and we lived on base we couldn't put christmas things up until the 15th of Dec. I guess I got so used to doing it that way that I always wait until the 15th now. If I put it up any sooner I get tired of it a lot faster.

zitra
10-20-2003, 06:19 AM
We do it a couple weeks before christmas too, mainly just becuase I ma too lazy to do it any sooner, but most people i know do it thanksgiving weekend.

justinenycole26
10-20-2003, 06:19 AM
The weekend after Thanksgiving. Last year we bougt a fake tree and it was a pain to fluff up all the branches and make it look good, So when we were done with it we took the decorations off, left the light on and put a big Christmas tree bag over it and stuck it in the garage. Instant tree! LOL

DBackFan
10-20-2003, 07:09 AM
I put mine up ear;y December last year and I was so sick of it I took it down Christmas day! LOL I am waiting until like the 15th myself for the tree but will put up all my lights etc Thanksgiving weekend.

I say put it up when YOU want too! :)

Willow
10-20-2003, 07:18 AM
A few years ago I put ours up the first week of November. lol If you want to put yours up early and it makes you happy then go ahead and put it up and don't worry about what anyone thinks. :)

Hillbilly
10-20-2003, 07:26 AM
Last year our tree went up a week before Thanksgiving.I love the holidays and want to enjoy them as long as I can.:) I see nothing wrong with putting the tree up before Thanksgiving.I saw several houses around here decorated for Christmas a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving.

the1bea
10-20-2003, 08:44 AM
All of my holiday decorations go up the 1st of each month. Halloween, 1st of Oct. Thanksgiving 1st of Nov. Christmas, 1st of Dec.

Dolly<3
10-20-2003, 08:55 AM
I wanted to put my tree up 2 weeks ago, but I'm waiting until Thanksgiving is over. I usually put it up the 1st week in December, but I'm really anxious for xmas this year.

GeThang
10-20-2003, 09:02 AM
My husband and I were putting our tree up for 3 days last year. LOL We started Thanksgiving evening, and were so excited, that we realized we didn't have enough decorations, so it sat there not even halfway decorated for a couple of days :)

Kelsey1224
10-20-2003, 09:04 AM
Well...I'm a Christmas crazy so decorating starts the weekend after Thanksgiving. One entire wall of my garage is stacked with 25 large plastic totes which are filled with my Christmas decorations.

All my regular china gets taken out of the china cabinet and put away and my Christmas china replaces. I always keep out 6 place settings so that we can eat off it every day. Why have things if you can't enjoy them?

Because we always have a live tree, the tree doesn't go up any sooner than the December 15th! It goes in the family room.

Last year I also put up one small artificial tree which was decorated entirely with Santa Claus ornaments.

This year, because we are in our big new house, I will be putting up FOUR TREES!!! We purchased a 10 ft artificial tree after Christmas last year. It will go in our living room and will be a formal Victorian tree. I have a village and it will go around the base of the tree.

The Santa tree from last year will actually be in the window of the front downstairs bedroom (so it can be seen from the street).

And, I will have a small artificial tree upstairs which will be decorated entirely with Disney ornaments.

I think before Thanksgiving is a little early...but that is my own personal choice. I happen to love decorating for the fall so I have things which I enjoy for both Halloween and Thanksgiving.

queenangie
10-20-2003, 10:29 AM
LOL! Love this thread. We put up Christmas decorations & the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. I'm ready now too...but the Halloween/autumn stuff is up right now.

We have several artificial trees to decorate. The last time we had a real one, it got sooooo brittle, had to take it down and put up the artificial one for Christmas in order to turn on the lights. DH was afraid I'd burn the house down otherwise.

I just the holidays like the previous posters - get out my holiday china, table clothes, all stored in those rubbermaid buckets.

Lynniesmom
10-20-2003, 10:49 AM
I try to put it off until the weekend after Thanksgiving, if it goes up too early, I get tired of seeing it before Christmas even gets here! It comes back down as soon as I feel like boxing everything back up! We still have the some lights outside from last year!! That's just less we have to climb up on the ladder and put up this year! lol

Unicornmom77
10-20-2003, 11:03 AM
I would put up my decorations WAY WAY early but we have a birthday on Nov 30th so I have been waiting until after that the last 5 yrs!

We dont have ANYTHING for Xmas, we have moved around so much and have to buy everything, We will just have a tree and a few lights outside!

I would love to do it today!!! I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!

Bohemut
10-20-2003, 01:45 PM
We put up the tree when I get around to buying it. :D There aren't many places to buy a tree before Thanksgiving week (I'm talking live trees).

This year we're going to have a small one and put it on the dining room table (we never use the table). That way it and the presents will be safe from Destructo Pup, aka Reinmut. LOL. He loves to rip and chew paper. Also since we're both in wheelchairs a smaller tree will be a lot easier to decorate.

I also want to get one of those fake aluminum trees--I saw one in a catalogue. You know the one with the hokey color wheel? It reminds me of being a kid at my grandparent's house in the 60's. Showing my age aren't I? LOL. :D

cpbaby
10-20-2003, 04:21 PM
I put my tree up the day after Thanksgiving. Thats a good day for me becaue I have all day off from work to do it and leftovers to eat so I dont have to stop and cook.

I know people who put their tree up the day after Halloween, so put it up when you want to!

gemini26
10-21-2003, 10:20 AM
I do decorations after Thanksgiving but the tree 2-3 weekes before since we buy live trees. If you keep watered everyday and use that packet stuff to keep them fresher longer it will last a long time. Last year we put up tree about the 3rd and took down the 2nd of January and it was still ok.

CAMSmama
10-21-2003, 10:36 AM
we put ours up late last year because my hubby was in Iraq, but we usually do it Thanksgiving evening, this year we are going out of town for both Thanksgiving AND Christmas, so my hubby doesn't wanna decorate at all:( I'm using the kids to guilt him into it!!! LOL I don't care if we won't be here darn it, I want my decorations out!!

MsLynn
10-21-2003, 12:25 PM
mine goes up a couple days before christmas and comes down usually christmas night. i have to work both cchristmas eve and christmas 7p-7a so it'll probably go up the 23rd and come down the 26th

janelle
10-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Well I get all my decorations out and put them in the middle of the floor for a long time until I decide which ones I want to put up. Then I put them up slowly until I get tired of the whole thing. Then all the rest goes back into the closet where they came from.

Then I turn on the TV and watch a family decorating the house together with Christmas music playing and cookies baking in the oven and watch the fantasy. LOL Real life never happens like that. Oh well.

I say do whatever you want to do. Decorate whenever you feel like it and put up as much or as little as you feel like.

I keep saying I'm not going to buy anything else for Christmas but garage sales have tons of Christmas items. I've done really well passing up some this year. But I did have to buy some wooden Santa's last week. And I do keep out some Christmas item each year all year long. Who says I have to put everything back?

jaybird
10-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Ours usually goes up the second weekend in December. I have never put it up earlier than that. When my kids were small, I wanted the 'magic' of the tree and the season to stay new and fresh with them. I just think if the tree is up for 4 or 5 weeks before Christmas, it gets old. And I'm sick of looking at it by Christmas.

We always take ours down the weekend around my husband's b/day, the 8th.

With the day care and my newest little demolition man, it may NOT go up quite so early this year and come down much sooner!

jaybird
10-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Bohemut
I also want to get one of those fake aluminum trees--I saw one in a catalogue. You know the one with the hokey color wheel? It reminds me of being a kid at my grandparent's house in the 60's. Showing my age aren't I? LOL. :D

Boneynut, those trees are 'the' thing right now. Very trendy & retro. I hunted and hunted for one last season for my dot's apartment. They go as much as $300! I found one at a yard sale, with the color wheel for $25. But girl, it is ONE Charlie Brown-looking tree!

twinkiesmom
10-21-2003, 01:01 PM
We always had a real tree so it didn't go up til late December teens. But we got an artificial one now, so who knows when it'll go up. Depends on my time.