PDA

View Full Version : Direcway Internet Service

Janeae
10-19-2003, 10:09 AM
I have direcway as my satelite internet service since the end of August. Since I have signed up (and signed a 1 yr contract with a $300.oo early out fee)I have had nothing but trouble. I cant get my email, some days I cant log on, if its foggy,(and I live on the top of a mountain), rains, snows, windy, either where I live, or the state where the mail satelite is...I get no service. I called in 13 times, each time a tech walks me through a half hr to an hour of things to do and try, once it works, its goodbye, if I log off and try to get on again 50% of the time it will work and 50% of the time it wont. WHAT A PAIN!! Last week I told the rep that I wanted to cancel. She said I would get a $300 charge because I agreed to a yrs service. I told her I did agree to service, not aggrivation!!!!!
Last week they told me to look in my wins file, it had 2 viruses that can cause your computer to run slow. The 2 files were transmitted to my computer 10/12/03 at the same time I called to grip again. I want out, but they have me over a barrell with the $300.00 fee. My charge card rep said there is nothing I can do.... so I thought I would whine!!! Anyone out there have direcway and have good things to say????

Kyla Kym
10-19-2003, 12:58 PM
I have Direcway, and just love it. But the only other option I have is dial-up. If I could pick what I would prefer it would be cable.

I like Direcway allot though. Sure beats the crap out of dial up.

What all things have they had you do?

Have they had you reverse the cables between the 2 modems yet? I'm not talking about the coax(sp?)looking cable, the other one that looks like a printer cable that runs between the two of them. That is suppose to reset the modems.

Also if you have called that many times I'm sure you have that patch on your system right? I know that's the first thing they check for when I call.

magenta
10-19-2003, 02:12 PM
If I can be so nosey...How much is it? Set up cost and monthly cost?

I only have dial-up. There is No cable where I live.

I do have directv and love it. I have heard horror stories but have never had any problems myself. When it storms it goes out for a few minutes but that is it.

Sunnymoonx
10-19-2003, 05:53 PM
I absolutely love our direct TV. Like magenta said, when it storms really hard it goes out for a minute or 2, but usually only the higher channels do. Sort of wierd. Our local channels work but the nick and cartoon network don't work.
But for directway, I had wondered how bad it was in stormy weather. Right now we are on cable internet and waiting for DSL to be available in my area. I would be so upset too if i was on sattelite and unable to get service... and be stuck with that $300 fee if I want to cancel. Sort of like cell phones. You get it, and if it doesnt work well in your area(like mine, almost no signal at my house) then you get stuck with the $175 early termination fee. They got you no matter what...

AngelGrim
10-19-2003, 06:18 PM
I got dsl and was thinking of direcway but you made me think twice, thanks:)

Kyla Kym
10-19-2003, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't recommend Direcway if you have dsl or cable as a option. Direcway is very expensive. You have to buy your equipment to start with. Then you have to pay I think $59.00 a month for the service. I would only recommend this to people like me that only have a couple of dial up services to pick from and no other options. Mine does go out when it storms. But I live in a valley and have mts. all around me. I also have directv and they both go out at the same time. Only when it's storming real bad. It was costing me $29.00 a month for dial up and about $20.00 a month for a second line. That's why I went to Direcway, for 10 more a month it was worth it to me since I never got anything better than a 26.4 connection on dial-up.

morris2b
10-20-2003, 05:54 AM
WOW!! Now I know I am going to wait for Verizon to get DSL in my area.. We were thinking Directway as well, but I don't want all that extra expense and if I have no TV, then that would mean no Computer I would be going nuts, LOL

Janeae
10-20-2003, 04:08 PM
I live on the top of a mountain, in the woods, no cable available. It cost me a bit over $200.00 for installation, and cost me $99.00 a month. Each time I call the tech they have me do something new, like download the patch, change settings, reboot my computer, unplug all of the wires and replug them, they even had me call Dell and they walked me through clearing my whole drive out and reinstalling. All of this takes time. I do ebay and even stopped for the time being because I cant get my emails. I also have direct tv, and pay $104.00 per month. I am completely satisfied with direct tv. But I can say that the commercial that is on direct tv for direcway sure isnt true for me. Yes, my AOL was a pain when it froze up, but whats the difference if it freezes or doesnt let me on. Same difference for about $80 a moonth more. (After one yr. it will ONLY cost me $59 a month for no service) Live and learn!!

Kyla Kym
10-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Maybe something is wrong with your equipment??

If I was you and all that didn't work, I would just keep calling them back and no matter what steps the tech had me to follow I would say it still wasn't working right. When he ask you to do the speed test tell him it's lower than it really is. They only guarantee a certain speed. I can't remember what it is, but tell them it's lower than that then they are obligated to keep working with you until they figure out a solution. I bet if you hound them enough they will replace your stuff.

I don't have the problems you are having, so maybe there is something wrong with your system.??