PDA

View Full Version : My Nursing Class!!

Donnagg123
10-16-2003, 02:15 PM
My one nursing class is crazy!
1st, the syllabus is messed up. They have us reading chapter 14 and 10 and chapter 14 will not be tested on till the end of class (beginning of Dec) and we are not covering chapter 12 at all and it is on the next test (nov 6) for chapters 9-12???!!!
2nd, the first test we had was 2 weeks ago over chapters 1-4. The questions were WAYYYYYY too specific and has nothing at all to do with nursing. It was so hard, that a C is passing and only 2 count 'em 2 out of 41 passed. We are not dummies either. You had to have a 3.14 GPA ATLEAST to even get into the program. Class average on the last test was 32 out of 50. That is almost D-!
3rd, We had another test today and it was 10X as hard and the whole time the teacher talked! When someone turned in a test she said loudly "hey 1st one done" and she did it with the 2nd person too. Then she kept saying "you guys are so stressed just relax there is no pressure!" Then every 5 minutes she told us how much time we have left!
4th, every other class is supposed to get 1 hr and 15 minutes for a test and they only give us 1 hour! It is a co-teaching class and both the teachers were talking for the first 10 minutes and someone said since she was talking the first 10 minutes will she add 10 minutes on to the end and she said "No you just have to hurry" :confused: :eek:
5th, they have us READ another chapter that is not even going to be on the test so we can go over it after the test! Hello! I am not shoving in more information then I have to! Then they get upset cause people don't read!
6th, they only give us an hour, so they can lecture (if you can call it that)then they let us out of class 1 hour and 1/2 early!! The class is supposed to run from 1 to 4:35 and we were out by 3 o'clock! Hello! Why don't you just give us more time on the test??!!
7th, the lecturing we get is so pointless! The one teacher just repeats what we can read in the book and the other does atleast 1/2 way go over stuff but wastes half the time joking about things that do not matter!!

ARRRRRRRRGGGGG!!!! I knew nusing was going to be hard, but damn! Atleast give me a CHANCE to learn something and not play mind games!If you made it this far thanks for listening! :)

cpbaby
10-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Bless your heart. I hope it gets better. If it keeps on, you may need to get a group of your fellow students together an go see the dean.

Njean31
10-16-2003, 04:01 PM
i went to nursing school at a community college and we had to read everything too, even stuff we weren't tested on. you'll be glad though that you did when you take the nursing boards, i swear i learned most of what was on them from reading and clinicals, NOT LECTURE. since it was a community college, they have to cram cram cram all this stuff into such a little time frame and they weed out all the weak people in the beginning so toward the middle and the end they'll have more time for one on one. just hang in there, attend every single class, and read read read. it will pay off! i just got a killer raise, you will not be disappointed that you suffered through it.

mrs.john
10-16-2003, 05:14 PM
First of all, {{{hugs}}} for you. I can so relate--I have a teacher/class that's going kind of the same way. We are going to the dean to complain. It's frustrating when you work so hard and then get one class that can mess up your whole GPA. I'm regretting taking 14 credit hours, I know that. And wouldn't you know, I worked in my math class for next semester and I'll have 13 credit hours then. I am so taking the summer off, lol. I'm running out of energy and money:rolleyes: Sorry, I got off track. Hang in there, you can do this. The rewards will be so great. And really, you've come too far to turn back now. If it makes you feel any better, I had midterms the past 2 weeks and just when I thought I could breathe a little, I end up having a quiz tomorrow and a paper due early next week. As well as a competancy on Tuesday that I'm not ready for. I didn't think you were in your clinicals yet, but wait until you have to keep up with everything and then try to squeeze in researching your patients every week for med passes, lol. Isn't this fun?

Really, you'll be fine. Try not to get too frustrated b/c it WILL be worth it. And know that there are a few of us here that are suffering right along with you.;)

Donnagg123
10-16-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys for your support :) I am not gonna give up! I WILL stick with it, but just getting to that point :)

squirt
10-17-2003, 08:56 AM
nursing classes are frustrating, I hope you get your license, good nurses are rare.

AngelGrim
10-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Hope it all goes well for you, keep your head up, you will make it through.

missbeepin
10-18-2003, 11:39 AM
Trust me one day you WILL look back on this day and all the reading an re-reading you have done....and all the lectures you have heard over an over.....and thank god you read or heard them.
When you go to the testing center and sit down to take your State boards it will all pay off.
As far as having timed tests........the state board is a timed test....
When you get out of class early....use that valuable time to study or work on an upcoming project due for class....complaining about getting out early will come back to bite you in the butt quickly. Once you start all day clinicals, there will be no short days.
I don't mean to sound harsh or harp....but I have been there....and now looking back I see why skipping around the chapters and listening to the same lectures, and reading what seemed like useless information was all for.

In the end it is all well worth it.
A good nurse will make it!

queenangie
10-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Keep trying your best! We need more good nurses.

Before the next test, could you ask the teacher for the room to please be quiet during the test period. This way students could do their best. Just a thought....

Sending you hugs!
Angie