PDA

View Full Version : ill never shop at target again!!!!

kandykorn
10-16-2003, 07:03 AM
Vietnam Veterans Association - By Dick Forrey

We asked our local Target store to be a sponsor of the Vietnam Veterans
Memorial Wall during our spring recognition event.

We received back a reply from Target management that "veterans do not
meet our area of giving. We only donate to the areas
of the arts, social actions, gay and lesbian causes, and education."

My thought: If the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and veterans in
general, do not meet their donation criteria, something is wrong
at Target. We were not asking for thousands of dollars, not even
hundreds, but simply sponsorship of an endorsement for a memorial
remembrance.

As follow-up, I E-mailed the corporate headquarters and their response
was the same.

Personally, I will NOT be purchasing anything at Target Stores again.
If the Vietnam Veteran or Veterans in general do not meet their area of
giving, then why should I, as a Vietnam veteran,
spend my hard earned money in their stores?

Please pass this on to as many people as you know.

Sincerely,
Veterans Helping Veterans ( TARGET IS FRENCH OWNED WHAT WOULD YOU
EXPECT )

PS: Target will also not allow the Marines to collect for "Toys For
Tots" during the holidays.

If they can't sponsor our Veterans they are not going to ever get another dime from me!!

mlayton1994
10-16-2003, 07:08 AM
this is horrible. That is so sad.

GINGER
10-16-2003, 07:09 AM
I have not been happy with Target for some time over their return policy for gifts, but this sends me right over the edge! I understand that they reserve the right to support what ever groups that they want, but their response makes it sound as if they are too superior to support Veterans Groups. I am sorry that they feel this way.

I checked with snopes.com regarding this story and they say it is false. I guess it is up to you to decide who is telling the truth.

DBackFan
10-16-2003, 07:13 AM
NOT TRUE! Check Snopes.com.

Shivaw70
10-16-2003, 07:14 AM
I am shocked and very disappointed to hear that. I think that was a slap in the face by this company. I will be writing to Target and letting them know that they lost my business, and I will be spreading the word to everyone I know. Thanks for opening my eyes to this.

MizzusKat
10-16-2003, 07:17 AM
I've been a "lurker" on this site for ages, but just HAD to register when I read this posting, just so I could reply.

PLEASE don't be offended, but you need to check out information before claiming it to be fact. The e-mail about Target has been circulated for a couple of years now, but is INCORRECT.

There are several web sites out there where one can check an item before passing it on. My favorite is "Urban Legends."

As I said, I mean no offense here, but I couldn't let this one go by. Target really IS a good store and there's no need for everyone to start a boycott now.

By the way, now that I'm registered, I guess I'll have to start posting...no more lurking for me!!

Dhascall
10-16-2003, 07:24 AM
Thanks OP but this msg has been circulating about every major store. Also one has been going around about Wal Mart's not flying the flag. They are hoaxes.

bluelotus
10-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Wouldn't this port be in the wrong Forum anyway?
This is not a freebie.

FreBQueen
10-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Hi,
I'm very new to this forum, and have wanted to Join for sometime, as there have been some great posts here, and I've gotten a lot of freebies from this forum.

Just want to let you know though, that this Target information is a rumor, it's an Urban Legend. The Veteran needed to go thru the company's headquarters and submit a form asking for a "grant" to fund his project, something he neglected to do. You can read about it more here:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

Target has some guidelines that must be followed, just like many big corporations do. I'm neither for or against Target, as I've not had the opportunity to shop at their stores much at all, since the closest one is over 60 miles from my home :)
Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion. There's so many Urban Legends, they do abound... and while some stories are true, we do need to check them out before we pass them on as absolute truths. This site is a good one to see what the latest is on a subject:

http://www.snopes.com

You can check on many urban legends or emails you aren't really sure it they are true or not.
Hope this helps,

Cin
(aka Queen of the Freebies... but that wouldn't fit in the sign in ID names LOL)

Bonbonely
10-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Thanks all that posted about it being a hoax, I was just getting ready to go to Urban Legends to look it up, as it sounded fake, but y'all saved me the trouble. There are many many false emails circulating out there, urbanlegends.com is a great site. Anytime you get any kind of email saying something extremely bad, extremely good, or any kind of warning or heads up type thing, you might want to try using this site before posting it or forwarding it, it will save you and everyone on your email list a lot of grief.

beanibzerk
10-16-2003, 08:07 AM
A BigBig Welcome to MizzusKat and FreBQueen!!!!

Princess4J
10-16-2003, 08:08 AM
THIS WAS IN OFF TOPIC YESTERDAY.
SOMEONE HAD REPLIED THAT ITS A FALSE STORY.

EVEN GAVE THE LINK TO SNOPES.COM

kandykorn
10-16-2003, 08:15 AM
thanks for the heads up i had just found it on another site i guess i should of looked 1st

Kristan
10-16-2003, 08:38 AM
Target is also NOT owned by the French!

nnjangel
10-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Target corp started in Minnesota over 100 years ago (as the Dayton Dry Goods Co.)

The Target name came into play in 1962 - so they are not French based.

I have donated to WWII, Korean, and Vietnam vets infront of a Target (and got the poppies and flags for my review mirror)so they must not have a problem with vets.

I would seriously reconsider ever posting this sort of info without thoroughly checking it out.This kind of post was almost slanderous and could be actionable.

Angelseyes28
10-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by nnjangel
I would seriously reconsider ever posting this sort of info without thoroughly checking it out.This kind of post was almost slanderous and could be actionable.

No one is perfect, it was a simple mistake.