PDA

View Full Version : my poor baby yorkie pup, diarrhea

Njean31
10-09-2003, 09:25 PM
i just got her yesterday and i know i am dumb, but she wouldn't eat so i gave her a lil tiny couple sips of milk. then i was cooking chicken and rice, and i gave her just a few tiny pieces of the chicken. well, today she's paying for it. i had no idea she could not have a little bit. she has terrible black diarrhea. i hope she will be alright, if she keeps it up, to the vet she goes tomorrow. i can't afford to lose her over something so stupid. she cost 600.00. her name is minnie and i bought her to be with my 1 year old male name mickey.

ImaGApeach
10-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Has she had her Parvo vaccine?
Give her some Pedialyte
If she is doing it alot you may want to go ahead a call the vet-it does not take a puppy long to dehydrate.
I hope she gets better soon.

Njean31
10-09-2003, 09:49 PM
yes, she is totally current on all vaccines. she is drinking water so i'm just gonna watch her overnight. if it becomes bad, believe me she'll be there. i can give her pedialyte? that's a great idea, i'll get her some tomorrow. thanks

ImaGApeach
10-09-2003, 09:50 PM
that is what my vet told me to give my puppy went it was sick

Willow
10-10-2003, 05:39 AM
My parents have two Yorkshire Terriers. They are about five years old now. They were both from the same litter. One is about 8 pounds and the bigger one weighs 12 pounds. The bigger one is diabetic. She got sick about a year ago from an infection in her pancreas and that's what led to the diabetes. My mother was feeding her bits and pieces of food from the table when they would eat dinner. The vet set it could of been caused from that. Their stomaches can't handle that I guess. Milk isn't good for cats either because it will give them diarrhea. I only give my cat water.

seawinds
10-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Njean 31,,, you say that you got her yesterday??? Are you sure that she has had her shots???? Sounds so much like parvo...Is there a bad smell in her mouth???? If so please take her to the vet...for this is a sign also of Parvo...good luck...let us know...please...

moogle
10-10-2003, 05:53 AM
Please don't give her milk. This can cause diarrhea.

Hope your baby is feeling better!

sharinbo
10-10-2003, 06:36 AM
I agree, it's the milk. A bit of chicken here and there shouldn't harm her, although any variation in her normal diet could cause diarrhea. Since she's so young I'd imagine it was the combo of milk and a new food. She'll probably be fine once the food is out of her system. As long as she's drinking water and urinating, I'd just keep an eye on her.

Njean31
10-10-2003, 08:28 AM
yes, i am sure she has had all her shots. she came from a very reputable breeder and they gave me her records and when her next shots are due. she is better this morning, running around and playing and eating. i will never again give her milk. and now i know that table scraps are bad, just like mentioned above by patchouli, their systems can't handle it. i did alot of reading on the net last night. the only thing vets recommend for puppies and dogs for that matter is hard dog food. too bad for them, but i don't want them getting sick. thanks everyone for your help.

seawinds
10-10-2003, 08:56 PM
I!m so glad your baby is better...

ladybreaker
10-10-2003, 11:43 PM
i just went through this with my new puppy!!i gave her 1/2 teaspoon of pepto and stopped giving her milk and canned food and she's all better today!!i agree with the pedialyte to keep her hydrated.

ladybreaker