PDA

View Full Version : Watch Out medicare recipients SCAM

hblueeyes
10-09-2003, 11:44 AM
On tuesday evening my Mom received a phone call from a man claiming to be from Medicare. He stated he needed to make an appointment to visit them and explain the new changes occuring in the system. My Mom said she wan't interested since she had blue cross blue shield supplements and could not afford any thing else. He restated that he was from medicare and not a salesman. So she made an appointment for today at 3 pm. The man then asked for her address since all he had was her PO Box number and she gave it to him.

I explained to her that this was not likely since seniors make up a majority of the population and that it would cost billions to send someone out to explain the changes as well as years to do so. I called medicare and asked if this was something they were doing. Medicare called me back with an answer of NO. It was not them.

I am worried for her since she has a bad back and her husband has alzheimers and parkinsons disease and is in a weakend state.

I told her to call her police and I called the state police in her area since she is 100 miles away from me. At best this is a salesman out to scam seniors. At worst this could be a murderer or someone trying to rob them. It turns out that this man also called the town part time cop.

The state police will be at her house at 2:30 pm to set up.

I am happy that the state police have acted on this. And will post with what occurs.

Be aware. Medicare told me the do everything via e-mail and only if neccessary would they call and they would have your address.

Me:p

mlayton1994
10-09-2003, 11:48 AM
please keep me posted. ((hugs))

hblueeyes
10-09-2003, 01:44 PM
***UPDATE****

The man, Anthony J. Potocki, came and it turned out he was from Pryamid Life Insurance, 113 Washington, Philo, Il. 61864, 1-800-373-7505. He drove 2 hours to get to my Moms on a suspended license. It has been suspended since 1998. Though he was not there to rob or nurder them he was definitely there to scam them since he claimed more than once that he was a rep of Medicare. Be aware and be informed.

Me:p

Ladytiger
10-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Wow! Quick thinking on your part!
I always, always call back the place that called me to verify. I would have called Medicare first. What a nut!