PDA

View Full Version : Why I believe in God

janelle
10-09-2003, 08:03 AM
I believe in God because of His Son Jesus Christ who came down from Heaven to die for our sins. While Jesus was on earth he preformed many miracles that was observed by thousands. He told us of a loving Father who created us all and longs for us to be in heaven with Him.

Many people did not believe in Jesus and or He disturbed what they did believe so they had to put Him to death. A horrible death on a cross. But even death could not hold Jesus in the grave. On the third say He rose again and appeared to thousands. He talked to them and they touched Him and knew He was really with them again.

I was not there when all of this happened nor when anything in history happened so I take all of it on faith. Everything that happened before I was born. I believe what other people have experienced and written down. Even today I take many things on faith. What happens across the world I see and hear about it on TV. Others have experienced it and I take it on faith that it truely happened.

Some have a hard time with faith. Some still do not believe man landed on the moon. They weren't there on the moon when it happened. That is their perogative but they are missing out on wonderful and exciting things. Their choice. Oh well.

Now maybe some others can tell us why they believe in God. Not just any god but God of all Gods. The Alpha and the Omega God. The one, holy and infinite God. The God who created heaven and earth and all that are on and in it. The universal God.

Technologist
10-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Since I was invited here by J (OP), I will read (no comments though... BUT maybe questions). Okay?

janelle
10-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Technologist
Since I was invited here by J (OP), I will read (no comments though... BUT maybe questions). Okay?

LOL, ask away Tech. If I don't have the answer I'm sure I can research it for you.

Me thinks Tech does not know what he got himself in to. Christians love to tell the story and Tech is willing to listen. Y I P P I E This is going to be fun. Like an old time revival. ;) :p :) :D ;) :p
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

curlymae29
10-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Ok...lets start just a couple of years ago. We weren't going to church. We had in the past, but lets just say we were soooo living out of His will. My niece and nephew had come to live with us. My nephew loved to go to church, so when he asked I would take him to a local church we attended years ago. (I enjoyed church but my hubby really only went out of duty. After a while we just quit. But we never were what you would call good Christians.) Over a period of about a year, me, my daughter, my youngest son, my niece, and my nephew went maybe three times. (My hubby and oldest son stayed home.)This was enough for the Lord to start working in our lives. My husband who hadn't set foot in a church in years said one night 'Let's start going to church together'. Ok...we all agreed we would go to church. But a couple of weeks later we still weren't going. We discussed it, but couldn't agree on a church. One night we were all sitting in the living room together when my nephew brought up church once again. My husband informed us that come Sunday morning we would be in church somewhere...he didn't care where, but we would be in one, so decided where! He said we had until Saturday night. It was just a very short time (less than 30 minutes) when there was a knock on the door. I answered it. There on my front porch was two men from the church we had attended years ago and had revisited. In their hands was a huge stack of Christmas cards from church members. They couldn't stay, but said they felt they needed to drop them off that night and invited us to come anytime. Cold Chills??? You better know we had them. My hubby said right then and there...I think we know where God wants us. And we've been there ever since. And He truly blessed us with an awesome church family. They have helped us develope a close relationship with God. They have stood beside us, reguardless, and loved us. We have laughed together and cried together. I love my church family and find myself running to them long before I turn to my 'real' family.

And I have seen God at work in my life ever since. From little things to big things. This is just one example I could give you.

Njean31
10-09-2003, 01:03 PM
I believe in God because when i look around on a mountaintop on a beautiful sunny day, i realize that this beauty can not be the result of chaos. When i see a newborn baby and comprehend the delicate process it took for that child to be conceived, incubated in the most delicate fluid with just the right ingrediants, I know that didn't come from chaos. When i see pictures of space and then especially pictures of earth like from the moon, and see the wonderful bright blue against the cold black surroundings, I know that a supreme all knowing being (God) had to of had a hand in that. I believe In God because when i was growing up, I used to stay with my uncle and aunt on their farm and go to church with him on Sundays (he was the preacher of the church). Well, when he died i was 14 and home way across the state from him. I woke up that morning not knowing that he was severly ill, and i woke up to chuch bells ringing. No church was around. After the funeral, the family was talking and said that morning when he woke up, that he said he heard the bells calling him home shortly before he died. Coincidence? i think not, we were very close and they kept the fact that he was dying from me. I believe in God because I have studied and learned his word and realize that so many biblical prophesies have come true. I believe in God for the miracles that I have witnessed or read about. I believe in God because he has answered my prayers.

janelle
10-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Thank you FBH, for all your work in getting this together. Great response.

Technologist
10-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by FishmansBetrHalf
Thanks Janelle. Just straight from my heart~ and maybe there's someone that is reading this thread that needed to read all my rambling... :)

Tech looks around, seeing everyone staring at him.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J/K, I'm reading, but no change...:D

janelle
10-09-2003, 10:47 PM
No one can change you Tech except God. No reason to be leery of us.:p :p

tikitiki
10-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Most people believe in a Supreme Being, even though they may call Him by different names.
We know that God, our Heavenly Father, lives. He knows you and each of us and loves us all as His children.

We are commanded to love God (Matthew 22:36–38). Jesus Christ taught that we must know the only true God to have eternal life (John 17:3). As His children, we must know who He is and what He is like.

As you come to know and love God, you will find greater peace and joy, both in this life and in the life to come.

God is perfect, all-wise, and all-powerful—the ruler of the universe. He is also merciful, kind, and just. He is our Father in Heaven. We are created in His image (Genesis 1:27). He has a body that looks like ours, but God’s body is immortal, perfected, and has a glory that words can't describe. Because we are His children, He knows and loves each of us individually. He has a plan to help His children find joy in this life and return to live with Him when this life is over.

Jesus taught that God is “Our Father which art in heaven” (Matthew 6:9). We call God Heavenly Father because He is the Father of our spirits.
As your Father, God knows and loves you personally. He wants you to find joy in this life and return to live with Him when this life is over. He has prepared a plan to help you do these things. It is the plan of salvation, a plan of happiness. It offers peace in this life and eternal life in the world to come.

--

Where do we go after we die?

Death is not the end. Death is really a beginning—another step forward in Heavenly Father’s plan for His children.
Someday, like everyone else, your life on Earth will end and your physical body will die. But your spirit will not die. At the time of physical death, your spirit will go to the spirit world, where you will continue to learn and progress.

Death is a necessary step in your progression, just as your birth was. Sometime after your death, your spirit and your body will be reunited—never to be separated again. This is called resurrection, and it was made possible by the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

--

What is “heaven” like?

Heaven is the place where God lives and the future home of those who follow Him. The hope of our Heavenly Father and the goal of each person on this earth is to return to live with Him. This means that the opportunity to return to our Heavenly Father has been provided through the grace of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
After we are resurrected we will be judged and rewarded for the things we have done in this life.

Jesus Christ taught His Apostles that in His Father’s house are “many mansions” (John 14:2). Our loving Heavenly Father is anxious to reward all of His children according to their obedience to His commandments and their willingness to follow the Savior.

Those who do these things and are worthy to return to the presence of God and Christ become “heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ” (Romans 8:17) of all that the Father has. They will return to live with Heavenly Father and with their families in His eternal glory.

Those who choose not to follow our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will receive a reward according to what they have done in this life, but they will not enjoy the glory of living in the presence of God.

--

Marriage between a man and a woman has been an integral part of God’s plan from the beginning. God taught Adam that “it is not good that . . . man should be alone” (Genesis 2:18), and Eve became his companion. One fundamental purpose of marriage is for companionship.
God also commanded the man and woman “to multiply and replenish the earth” (Genesis 1:28)—that is, to have children. Another central purpose of marriage is to bring children into the world within a family.

Marriage and family are central focal points in God’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children. Our Heavenly Father hopes that we will do all we can during our time on Earth to prepare ourselves and our children to live in an eternal family.

The Apostle Paul taught that “neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord” (1 Corinthians 11:11).
In marriage, as before God, men and women are equally important.

Marriage gives neither partner the right to dominate or abuse the other. Rather, husband and wife should help each other as equal partners.

Family relationships can last forever—not just for this life.
Just as some of life’s sweetest joys can come through family associations, the loss of a beloved family member can be a source of our deepest sorrows.

But death does not need to be the end of our relationships with cherished loved ones.

For most newlyweds, it is easy to love and to care for each other.
But as time passes, sometimes spouses forget to show love for their companions and begin to think more about themselves. Sometimes the stresses of work or child care push the care of the companion way down on the “to do” list.

The gospel teaches that husbands and wives should love and care for each other “even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it” (Ephesians 5:25).

Successful marriages require constant nurturing to stay strong and healthy. They require Christlike love and self-sacrifice.

Unicornmom77
10-10-2003, 02:45 PM
OHHHHHHHHH I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! WOW You guys are all great!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

I got so excited when I started to read this, I am fairly new in my walk with the Lord and I want to tell everyone about him and all the ownderfull things that he has lead us too and helped us accomplish and ALL THE BLESSINGS we have recieved!! I hope some day I have the guts to speak up LOL!!

PRAISE THE LORD!!

curlymae29
10-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Ok...gave me chill bumps...or as some I know would say 'Jesus Bumps'. Maybe we need to start a thread about the Workings of God in our lives!

janelle
10-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Good idea curleymae. As a matter of fact I started one like that. I'll have to find it and give it a bump. LOL Huggs.

atlfreelvr
10-27-2003, 03:16 PM
I, like Unicornmom, am new to my walk with God, but FBH is surely making some good arguments for anyone who maybe close but, has not completely decided they want a relationship with HIM.

janelle
10-27-2003, 05:09 PM
This is from Billy Graham's column. I think we all have that feeling of yearing for something that is missing in our lives. Even those who look like they have it all have this feeling of, "there has to be something else out there".

None of us are perfectly happy or content no matter how much we have. We always have the feeling that something is missing. That something is God. I believe this is our soul telling us that there is a better place and our true love isn't here on earth but in heaven. The one who created us and loves us more than any mortal can. We will be reunitied someday with our maker and be perfectly happy.
================================================== ===================

What happens to us when we die? You'll probably say we go to heaven, but how do you know? I'd like to believe that, but sometimes I think it's just a fantasy and we simply stop existing. -- A.G.
Dear A.G.:
No, death isn't the end -- and the reason is because God has planted within each of us a soul or spirit that will never die. You aren't just a physical being; you are also a spiritual being, stamped with the image of God -- an image that can never be killed (any more than God can be killed).

Is this just wishful thinking or, as you suggest, a fantasy? No, not at all -- and I have several reasons for saying that. For one thing, in our hearts, every one of us wonders if there is life beyond the grave. But why do we even ask that question? (After all, animals don't ask it.) The reason is because our God-given souls or spirits tell us there must be something beyond death. As the Bible says, God "has also set eternity in the hearts of men" (Ecclesiastes 3:11).

But the main reason I know there is life after death is because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Ask yourself this question: How could we know -- really know -- that there is life beyond the grave? We could only know if someone died, and then came back to life again. And this is what Jesus did. He gives us hope for the future!

But why is there life beyond the grave? For one reason: God loves us, and He yearns for us to spend eternity with Him in heaven. Let this become your hope by giving your life to Jesus Christ without delay.

angelinwaiting
10-27-2003, 06:35 PM
This reminds me of an email that I got a while back...

A little girl was telling her teacher about God and how real he was and the teacher told her that she could not see God and that he was not real...the teacher told a little boy to go look out the window and she asked him was the grass green and the little boy said yes..she asked him to look and see if he seen the sky and he said yes...then she told the little girl that he seen those things and that made them real...the little girl then told the boy to look out the window and see if the grass was green and he said yes, she then asked him to look and see if he seen the sky and he said yes, she then asked him to look and see if he seen the teachers brain.:D Just because we can't SEE Him soes not mean He is not real....

{{{{{{FBH}}}}}}}}You worded this alot better than I could...

Oh yea, this story is probably not worded exactly right but you get the meaning anyway, right?:)

angelinwaiting
10-27-2003, 08:04 PM
This here sums it up for me:D :D

He is the first and last, the Beginner and the End! He is the Keeper of Creation and the Creator of all! He is the Architect of the universe and the Manager of all times! He always was, He always is, and he always will be... Unmoved, Unchanges, Undefeated, and never Undone!
He was bruised and brought healing!
He was pierced and eased pain!
He was persecuted and brought freedom!
He was dead and brought life!
He is risen and brings peace!
The world can't understand Him!
The armies can't defeat Him,
The schoold can't explain Him, and
The leaders can't ignore Him.
Herod couldn't kill Him,
The Pharisees couldn't confuse Him, and
The people couldn't hold Him!
Nero couldn't crush Him,
Hitler couldn't silence Him.
The New Age can't replace Him, and
Donahue can't explain Him away!
He is light, love, longevity, and Lord.
He is goodness, kindness, gentleness, and God.
He is Holy, Righteous, Mighty, powerful, and pure.
His ways are right, His word is eternal,
His will is unchanging, and
His mind is on me.
He is my Redeemer,
He is my Savior,
He is my Guide, and
He is my Peace!
He is my joy,
He is my comfort, He is my Lord, and
He rules my life!
I serve Him because His bond is love,
His burden is light, and
His goal for me is abundant Life.
I follow Him because He is the wisdom of the wise,
the power of the powerful,
the ancient of days, the ruler of rulers,
the leader of leaders, the overseer of the overcomers,
and the sovereign Lord of all that was and is to come.
And if that seems impressive to you, try this for size.
His goal is a relationship with ME!
He will NEVER leave me, NEVER forsake me,
NEVER forget me, NEVER overlook me, and
NEVER cancel my appointment is His appointment book!
When I fall, He lifts me up!
When I fail, He forgives!
When I am weak, He is strong!
When I am lost, He is the way!
When I am afraid, He is my courage!
When I stumble, He steadies me!
When I am hurt, He heals me!
When I am broken, He mends me!
When I am blind, He leads me!
When I am hungry, He feeds me!
When I face trials, He is with me!
When I face persecution, He shields me!
When I face problems, He comforts me!
When I face loss, He provides for me!
When I face death, He carries me home!
He is everything, for everybody, everywhere, Every time and every way!
He is God, He is faithful,
I am His, and He is mine!
My father is HEaven and whip the father of this world.
So, if you're wondering why I feel so secure, understand this....
He said it and that settles it.
God IS in control, I am on His side, and
That means all is well with my soul.
Everyday is a blessing for GOD IS!

janelle
10-27-2003, 11:57 PM
Did you write that Angel? That's just beautiful.:)

angelinwaiting
10-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by janelle
Did you write that Angel? That's just beautiful.:)

Oh Lord No hon...I am a good writer but not that good;) I think it is beautiful too though:)

jdglmg
11-02-2003, 10:04 PM
I believe in God because everything in nature points to the existence of an intelligent creator. How can you look at a newborn baby and the process by which he or she came to exist and think it was all by accident? And the most amazing thing about God is that He did not just create us and then sit back and watch everything, but He desires to have a relationship with us. His desire is so great that He sent His son to pay the penalty for our sins (wrongdoings). He is completely holy and cannot be in the presence of sin, so He sent Christ so that we could be reconciled to Him.