PDA

View Full Version : Limbaugh Quits ESPN After Racial Comment

hotwheelstx
10-02-2003, 05:45 AM
NEW YORK -- Rush Limbaugh's days at ESPN are over. The conservative commentator has resigned from the network's "NFL Sunday Countdown" show.

Rush Limbaugh was hired by ESPN for his ability to express opinion and spark debate as a football fan. Do you think the sports network got what they wanted with Limbaugh's comments?
Yes. They wanted controversy and headlines, that's what they got.
No. I think they wanted to raise ratings, but didn't expect Limbaugh to say something like that.

Limbaugh's resignation comes three days after he said on-air that the media have overrated Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb because they want to see a black quarterback succeed.

Before McNabb led the Philadelphia Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, Limbaugh, (pictured, left) said on ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown" that the fifth-year quarterback is overrated. Limbaugh's comments sparked controversy for their racial overtones.

According to CNN, Limbaugh said, "I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

McNabb is widely considered one of the top quarterbacks in the league. The No. 2 overall pick in the 1999 draft, McNabb has helped turn the Eagles from a laughingstock franchise into a perennial championship contender.

Limbaugh said, "This is such a mountain out of a molehill." He added, "There's no racism here, there's no racist intent whatsoever."

In fact, the conservative commentator says he must have been right; otherwise, the comments would not have sparked such outrage.

Limbaugh said Wednesday that he doesn't think McNabb is a bad player, just that he isn't as good as some media members think he is.

McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News, "It's sad you've got to go to skin color." In his words, "I thought we were through with that whole deal."

At a news conference earlier Wednesday, McNabb, (pictured, right) said he isn't looking for an apology from Limbaugh. He said it's too late for that. McNabb said, "It's what was said and it's over."

Earlier Wednesday, Democratic presidential candidates Wesley Clark, Howard Dean and the Rev. Al Sharpton called for the cable sports network to fire Limbaugh.

Limbaugh was in his first season as an ESPN football analyst. A network spokesman says ESPN thinks Limbaugh took "the appropriate action" to resolve the matter.

The NAACP condemned Limbaugh's remarks, calling them "bigoted and ignorant."

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/2526268/detail.html

DAVESBABYDOLL
10-02-2003, 05:54 AM
I was just watching this on ESPN this morning, I like him, they wanted some contaversy,they got it, was it racist,no, and I don't think it was intended to be.

tsquared
10-02-2003, 10:11 AM
The whole sporting industry needs shaken up....salaries are way too high for poor performance........not many play the sports anymore because they like the game and enjoy it.....but play for the tremendous big bucks to be had......one day fans will say enough is enough and down the pro sports will fall........seems college is getting just as bad.....

zitra
10-02-2003, 10:51 AM
I was listening to the news this morning..and from what i heard it wasn't a racial comment at all.
Limbaugh (BTW NOT a big fan of his) was commeninging that he that that everyone was touting Mcnabb to be one of the best quaterbacks, and the one to watch, Limbaugh made a comment that he thought that Mcnabb wasn't so great to begin with.

There were no comments made about the color of his skin, just that Limbaugh did not think him to be a great football player..

Kind of makes me wonder where the world is coming to, that you now public personalities can not even MENTION that they think a certain player is not a good player, if the player happens to be a minority...

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I did not hear LImbaugh's comment myself, it was second hand through the morning radio news correspondant.

miccit
10-02-2003, 11:07 AM
In the article it says -- Limbaugh's resignation comes three days after he said on-air that the media have overrated Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb because they want to see a black quarterback succeed.

There was absolutely no need to bring his race into it. There have been plenty of black quarterbacks succeed, so I don't see where he is even getting his information.

ebgreen74
10-02-2003, 11:23 AM
I'm not a fan of Limbaugh's either but I have to say I see nothing racist about his comment either.

teddy2948
10-02-2003, 11:37 AM
I think he set off a whirlwind of emotion over his comments because he said that the McNabb was overrated as a player because the media wants to see a BLACK quarterback succeed (like none have before McNabb??), essentially not because McNabb is a good enough player.

Anyhoo..here some more interesting info about Limbaugh that the Houston Chronicle is reporting today:

PHILADELPHIA -- Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh said today he resigned as an ESPN sports analyst to protect advertisers and network employees from the uproar over critical comments he made about Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Limbaugh stepped down from the sports network's "Sunday NFL Countdown" late Wednesday, three days after saying on the show that McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

"The great people at ESPN did not want to deal with this kind of reaction," Limbaugh told the National Association of Broadcasters at its convention in Philadelphia today. "The path of least resistance became for me to resign."

Limbaugh did not directly address media reports that began surfacing Wednesday that said the talk show host was under investigation in Florida for allegedly illegally obtaining and abusing prescription painkillers.

Premiere Radio Networks, which syndicates the politically focused "Rush Limbaugh Show," issued a statement from Limbaugh earlier today saying: "I am unaware of any investigation by any authority involving me. No government representative has contacted me directly or indirectly. If my assistance is required, I will, of course, cooperate fully."

The Daily News, without identifying its source, reported today that Limbaugh was being investigated by the Palm Beach County state attorney's office. The newspaper said it had independently confirmed the allegations, first reported by the National Enquirer.

CNN reported today that sources close to the investigation that it did not identify said Limbaugh had turned up as a buyer of powerful painkillers but that he was not the target of the investigation.

Mike Edmondson, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County state attorney's office, told The Associated Press early today that his office could neither confirm nor deny that an investigation was under way.

The Enquirer had interviewed Wilma Cline, who said she became Limbaugh's drug connection after working as his maid, according to the Daily News. She said that Limbaugh had abused OxyContin and other painkillers.

A Miami lawyer for the Clines, Ed Shohat, said today, "The Clines stand by the story." Shohat said neither he nor his clients would comment further.

Talking about the ESPN comments, Limbaugh said today he had thought about the issue the night before making the comments. He said he was used to scrutiny after 15 years in radio and expects to get attention.

"I figured if I'm going to do this (the ESPN show) I should be who I am," he said.

Limbaugh has denied that his comments were racially motivated.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said on Sunday's show. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

About a half-dozen people protested outside the convention.

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, accepted Limbaugh's resignation Wednesday. ABC and ESPN are owned by Walt Disney Co.

"We regret the circumstances surrounding this," Bodenheimer said. "We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."

Limbaugh is the radio host of the politically focused "Rush Limbaugh Show," syndicated in more than 650 markets. ESPN spokesman Dave Nagle said ratings for "Sunday NFL Countdown" were up 10 percent overall since Limbaugh joined the show this year.

janelle
10-02-2003, 01:40 PM
This is so funny. Are we not to use the B word now? I know the N word is racist and I agree but is the B word going to be looked at a racist too? What black quarterback has made it big? I'm a football nerd so I don't know. But if McNabb is black, right? And if he isn't that great a player, right? Then Limbaugh may be right on target, anyway he still has his opinion doesn't he? Right or wrong, it's opinion.

Then to throw in that Limbaugh is hooked on pain killers and talk about it as his "drug problem" like it's herion or something is really stretttttcccchhhhinnnnnnggggg it. How dumb. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can we say liberal media?:D :D

DAVESBABYDOLL
10-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by tsquared
The whole sporting industry needs shaken up....salaries are way too high for poor performance........not many play the sports anymore because they like the game and enjoy it.....but play for the tremendous big bucks to be had......one day fans will say enough is enough and down the pro sports will fall........seems college is getting just as bad.....

I agree, they get millions in contract monies and still complain they don't get paid enough,thus the lack of enthusiasm in the players and the lack of enjoyment for the fans. I am a Viking fan as you know but I think the NFL had one player who was a true player of the sport, the Bengals Anthony Muñoz he said in an interview he just loved football and would have played for free, it showed in the way he played he meant that comment. He was 11 years straight Pro bowl and I think 1998 inducted into the hall of fame. A player I feel went the other way was The Bengal's Boomer Eisisson (sp?) he played like he didn't want to be there, he also made a statement about money.Yes,the Bengals are one if not the lowest payed team,but come on if you love the sport,would money matter? Some players (2nd string) are top notch players making less then 500,000 a year...they play because they love it.Heck, for 1/2 that I'd be on the field getting my ass kick every weekend lol ,just my oppinion :)

miccit
10-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Basically the problem is there was no reason to state what race McNabb is.

Add that to the fact that Limbaugh is down right bigoted in his views regarding people of other races on his talk show all the time and you have a very volatile situation.

Crick
10-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by janelle
This is so funny. Are we not to use the B word now? I know the N word is racist and I agree but is the B word going to be looked at a racist too? What black quarterback has made it big? I'm a football nerd so I don't know. But if McNabb is black, right? And if he isn't that great a player, right? Then Limbaugh may be right on target, anyway he still has his opinion doesn't he? Right or wrong, it's opinion.

Then to throw in that Limbaugh is hooked on pain killers and talk about it as his "drug problem" like it's herion or something is really stretttttcccchhhhinnnnnnggggg it. How dumb. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can we say liberal media?:D :D

1)Doug Williams of the Washington Redskins was the first Afro American Quarterback to lead his team to a Super Bowl Championship. There are many other qualified Afro Americans in the NFL including Michael Vick, Atlanta Falcons, who is injured right now.

2)To blame the "Liberal" press every time a Conservative such as Limbaugh, Robertson, Falwell, etc makes a bigoted statement is rediculious. Remember the flack Falwell and Robertson got in over their homosexual comments (which Falwell later apologized for}? For the record I have attended Falwell's church in Lynchburg, VA, attended his summer camps as a teenager, and heard Pat Robertson preach in our church. I was also brought up in a Southern Baptist Church however I do not agree with their bigoted statements.

3)Oxycotin is a powerful drug. It has killed people and made others very addictive to it the same as herion or cocaine. The law enforcement here (Myrtle Beach) just closed down a clinic and arrested a dozen workers including doctors for prescribing oxycotin without even examining patients. Court TV also did a segment on this. Evidently the housekeeper gave Rush a couple of her husbands pills when Rush asked her for them. From there he became hooked. There is no known grudges between the housekeeper and Rush. Bottom line the pain killer WAS NOT prescribed to him which is illegal. The housekeeper and Rush should both be held responsible if proven the story is true. I noticed Limbaugh didn't deny that he took the drug only that he was not aware of any criminal investigation.

Donnagg123
10-02-2003, 03:57 PM
I agree with chelle :) I will say this though, why did he have to use that he was black to make a point. If his opinion is that he is bad then say he is bad. Don't say well I think he is the token black person football player for the media. THat has nothing to do with how good or bad of a player he is. JMO

janelle
10-02-2003, 04:34 PM
Rush Limbaugh Was Right
Donovan McNabb isn't a great quarterback, and the media do overrate him because he is black.
By Allen Barra
Posted Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 3:33 PM PT

Limbaugh leaves over unfair football flap

In his notorious ESPN comments last Sunday night, Rush Limbaugh said he never thought the Philadelphia Eagles' Donovan McNabb was "that good of a quarterback."

If Limbaugh were a more astute analyst, he would have been even harsher and said, "Donovan McNabb is barely a mediocre quarterback." But other than that, Limbaugh pretty much spoke the truth. Limbaugh lost his job for saying in public what many football fans and analysts have been saying privately for the past couple of seasons.

Let's review: McNabb, he said, is "overrated ... what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well—black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well."

Continue Article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There's a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Let's take the football stuff first. For the past four seasons, the Philadelphia Eagles have had one of the best defenses in the National Football League and have failed to make it to the Super Bowl primarily because of an ineffective offense—an offense run by Donovan McNabb. McNabb was a great college quarterback, in my estimation one of the best of the '90s while at Syracuse. (For the record, I helped persuade ESPN Magazine, then called ESPN Total Sports, to put him on the cover of the 1998 college-football preview issue.) He is one of the most talented athletes in the NFL, but that talent has not translated into greatness as a pro quarterback.

McNabb has started for the Eagles since the 2000 season. In that time, the Eagles offense has never ranked higher than 10th in the league in yards gained. In fact, their 10th-place rank in 2002 was easily their best; in their two previous seasons, they were 17th in a 32-team league. They rank 31st so far in 2003.

In contrast, the Eagles defense in those four seasons has never ranked lower than 10th in yards allowed. In 2001, they were seventh; in 2002 they were fourth; this year they're fifth. It shouldn't take a football Einstein to see that the Eagles' strength over the past few seasons has been on defense, and Limbaugh is no football Einstein, which is probably why he spotted it.

The news that the Eagles defense has "carried" them over this period should be neither surprising nor controversial to anyone with access to simple NFL statistics—or for that matter, with access to a television. Yet, McNabb has received an overwhelming share of media attention and thus the credit. Now why is this?

Let's look at a quarterback with similar numbers who also plays for a team with a great defense. I don't know anyone who would call Brad Johnson one of the best quarterbacks in pro football—which is how McNabb is often referred to. In fact, I don't know anyone who would call Brad Johnson, on the evidence of his 10-year NFL career, much more than mediocre. Yet, Johnson's NFL career passer rating, as of last Sunday, is 7.3 points higher than McNabb's (84.8 to 77.5), he has completed his passes at a higher rate (61.8 percent to 56.4 percent), and has averaged significantly more yards per pass (6.84 to 5.91). McNabb excels in just one area, running, where he has gained 2,040 yards and scored 14 touchdowns to Johnson's 467 and seven. But McNabb has also been sacked more frequently than Johnson—more than once, on average, per game, which negates much of the rushing advantage.

In other words, in just about every way, Brad Johnson has been a more effective quarterback than McNabb and over a longer period.

And even if you say the stats don't matter and that a quarterback's job is to win games, Johnson comes out ahead. Johnson has something McNabb doesn't, a Super Bowl ring, which he went on to win after his Bucs trounced McNabb's Eagles in last year's NFC championship game by a score of 27-10. The Bucs and Eagles were regarded by everyone as having the two best defenses in the NFL last year. When they played in the championship game, the difference was that the Bucs defense completely bottled up McNabb while the Eagles defense couldn't stop Johnson.

In terms of performance, many NFL quarterbacks should be ranked ahead of McNabb. But McNabb has represented something special to all of us since he started his first game in the NFL, and we all know what that is.

Limbaugh is being excoriated for making race an issue in the NFL. This is hypocrisy. I don't know of a football writer who didn't regard the dearth of black NFL quarterbacks as one of the most important issues in the late '80s and early '90s. (The topic really caught fire after 1988, when Doug Williams of the Washington Redskins became the first black quarterback to win a Super Bowl.)

So far, no black quarterback has been able to dominate a league in which the majority of the players are black. To pretend that many of us didn't want McNabb to be the best quarterback in the NFL because he's black is absurd. To say that we shouldn't root for a quarterback to win because he's black is every bit as nonsensical as to say that we shouldn't have rooted for Jackie Robinson to succeed because he was black. (Please, I don't need to be reminded that McNabb's situation is not so difficult or important as Robinson's—I'm talking about a principle.)

Consequently, it is equally absurd to say that the sports media haven't overrated Donovan McNabb because he's black. I'm sorry to have to say it; he is the quarterback for a team I root for. Instead of calling him overrated, I wish I could be admiring his Super Bowl rings. But the truth is that I and a great many other sportswriters have chosen for the past few years to see McNabb as a better player than he has been because we want him to be.

Rush Limbaugh didn't say Donovan McNabb was a bad quarterback because he is black. He said that the media have overrated McNabb because he is black, and Limbaugh is right. He didn't say anything that he shouldn't have said, and in fact he said things that other commentators should have been saying for some time now. I should have said them myself. I mean, if they didn't hire Rush Limbaugh to say things like this, what they did they hire him for? To talk about the prevent defense?

miccit
10-02-2003, 04:57 PM
It doesn't matter if the football player in question was green with yellow polka dots. You don't classify people by their race. I sure as the heck don't want people to introduce me as white Michelle or my husband as black Kenneth.

Are you saying it is ok to classify people by their race? Maybe you're not, but that is the way it is coming across. IMO

janelle
10-02-2003, 11:10 PM
There hasn't been that many black quarterbacks and I'm sure some people wish there were more. If the coach is letting McNabb get by with more defeats than other quarterbacks then it would look like they are wanting him to succeed cause he is black. A follows B. We are very sensitive about quotas now and affirmative action. As long as these prgrams are in the news people will wonder. Human nature.

twinkiesmom
10-02-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ebgreen74
I'm not a fan of Limbaugh's either but I have to say I see nothing racist about his comment either.

ITA

miccit
10-03-2003, 06:30 AM
There are quite a few black quarterbacks out there.

I am not sure about his record. I don't watch football.

The reason there is affirmative action and people are so testy over race is there racism everywhere. Minorities are discriminated against all the time. So when someone makes a bigoted comment of course there is going to be outrage. I don't blame them one bit. So many people like to act like racism ended with the civil rights movement. It didn't. It got a little better, but we are nowhere close to living in a world without racism. And people like Rush Limbaugh seem to thrive on it. :rolleyes:

Dolly<3
10-03-2003, 07:22 AM
Rush is racist. He's made a number of racist comments, but this isn't one of them. I think it was construed as racist b/c it was coming from him. But the network knew how he is when they hired him. I think they were looking for controversy, and they got it.

miccit
10-03-2003, 07:37 AM
I don't understand why they hired him anyway. Is he an authority on sports or something?

ckerr4
10-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by miccit
It doesn't matter if the football player in question was green with yellow polka dots. You don't classify people by their race. I sure as the heck don't want people to introduce me as white Michelle or my husband as black Kenneth.

Are you saying it is ok to classify people by their race? Maybe you're not, but that is the way it is coming across. IMO

I absolutely agree with you here miccit.

If Limbaugh wanted to make the point that the guy was not as good of a quarterback as the media hyped him up to be, all he had to do was say that. There was no need to say that he was not as great of a black quarterback as the media hyped him up to be. It's not a matter of affirmative action or quotas. It's a matter of separating people into confining racial categories when there is no need, as though there is a difference between black quarterbacks and white quarterbacks, as though one is better than the other.

In my opinion, it's the same implication as the person who says, "I'm not racist, I have lots of black friends."

Why are they in a separate category?

miccit
10-03-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by ckerr4
In my opinion, it's the same implication as the person who says, "I'm not racist, I have lots of black friends."

That is funny that you wrote that. I have an aunt who swears she can't be racist because I am married to a black man and my cousin has a biracial child. How that makes her not racist I will never know.:D

Donnagg123
10-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by miccit
That is funny that you wrote that. I have an aunt who swears she can't be racist because I am married to a black man and my cousin has a biracial child. How that makes her not racist I will never know.:D

ITA :) Like having black friends or a black cousin gives them a get out of being a racist free card. :rolleyes:

miccit
10-03-2003, 08:28 AM
I about died the first time my aunt said that. And the guy she said it to just looked at her like she was crazy.

Blackerose
10-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by janelle
There hasn't been that many black quarterbacks and I'm sure some people wish there were more. If the coach is letting McNabb get by with more defeats than other quarterbacks then it would look like they are wanting him to succeed cause he is black. A follows B. We are very sensitive about quotas now and affirmative action. As long as these prgrams are in the news people will wonder. Human nature.

Donovan McNabb is not a bad quarterback. The Eagles won their division championship for the last 2 years, going all the way the the NFC championship game. Their coach, Andy Reed was named NFL coach of the year last year. The Eagles did get off to slow start, they lost their first 2 games before beating Buffalo last Sunday. If Limbaugh wanted to talk about an overrated quaterback, look at Mark Brunell of the Jaguars. The Jags are 0-4, Brunell started their first 3 games before they finally decided to pull him. He got a huge contract 2 years ago, so big that they had to let a lot of players go to pay for it. He is overrated but he is also white. McNabb apologized for his poor performance during the first 2 games, Brunell has not. And yes I have been a huge Eagles fan for over 30 years, through the wins and the losses. Limbaugh needs to come out his drug induced fog.

Jolie Rouge
10-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Limbaugh Says He's Amazed at Controversy

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-2020&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20031003%2F203679500.htm&sc=2020

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Rush Limbaugh told his radio audience Friday that he is amazed at the controversy over his comments about a black quarterback, but did not comment on reports that he's being investigated for illegally buying prescription drugs.

The conservative commentator gave up his job as an ESPN sports analyst after saying Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

``It's amazing to me that this is a controversy at all. Had what I said been said by anybody else ... it wouldn't have gotten scant attention,'' he said Friday.

He made the comment about McNabb on ESPN's ``Sunday NFL Countdown.''

``It took two days for there to be any reaction. There wasn't any reaction to it even on the ESPN set,'' said Limbaugh, who says he has gotten thousands of supportive e-mails and phone calls.

Law enforcement sources in Florida confirmed to The Associated Press Thursday that Limbaugh is being investigated for illegally buying prescription drugs.

``I don't yet know what I'm dealing with there, folks,'' Limbaugh said. ``I don't want to deal with hypotheticals, and I don't want to respond to what's in the press.''

Limbaugh resigned his ESPN position late Wednesday and said Thursday that he was leaving so the sports network's employees would be spared the uproar over his comments.

10/03/03 20:35

stresseater
10-04-2003, 12:06 AM
I don't think it was a racist remark. I believe it was a jab at the NFL. Here is a link to an articl that may help explain where this may have come from.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2003/07/25/millen_fined_ap/

With stupid stuff like this going on to not allow a comentator to remark about race in conjunction with qualifications is a bit hipocritical(sp) I thik. Everyone is talking this guy up and if he is just a mediocre player then why is he playing? Are we not allowed to question why? I think that's all Rush was doing. :) :)

Donnagg123
10-04-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by kids=stress
With stupid stuff like this going on to not allow a comentator to remark about race in conjunction with qualifications is a bit hipocritical(sp) I thik. Everyone is talking this guy up and if he is just a mediocre player then why is he playing? Are we not allowed to question why? I think that's all Rush was doing. :) :)

It is not a question of was he allowed to say if he was a mediocre player or not. He can say that he is a bad or good player, it is just that why did he have to make a point of acting like his only qualification for making quarterback was his being black. If he is a bad player, then he is bad. However, it has been pointed out on here that he is NOT a bad player, therefore this was only Rush's opinion and not fact. He should not have made a point of saying he only got QB because he was black. He should have just said he was a bad player and left it at that. There is such a thing as tact. Look at the Dixie Chicks. I am still going to listen to their music because I love it, but several on here made the comment that if you make a statement like that, you better be ready for the backlash. He knew what he was saying, he likes to say controversial statements. It is jus this time it got caught up with him.

NASCAR38
10-04-2003, 06:30 AM
ok i'm sure I'll get trashed for saying this But What is the big deal ??? someone says the word Black and It's racial ??? :confused: I live in the south and i hear Black people put white people Down all The Time they call people crackers , honkies (sp) , the white man , etc. they do it on tv and everywhere .. I think blacks are more racial than whites .. ok flame away :eek: ;)

hotwheelstx
10-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by NASCAR38
ok i'm sure I'll get trashed for saying this But What is the big deal ??? someone says the word Black and It's racial ??? :confused: I live in the south and i hear Black people put white people Down all The Time they call people crackers , honkies (sp) , the white man , etc. they do it on tv and everywhere .. I think blacks are more racial than whites .. ok flame away :eek: ;)

I origionally made this post....JMO I don't think it's correct to say anything racial. I personally don't care for Rush and don't really care if he resigns or gets fired. I do not feel his "comment" was called for.

NASCAR38
10-04-2003, 07:35 AM
I understand what you are saying;) but I think being "racial" is a two way street ..

ckerr4
10-04-2003, 09:05 AM
It's not any more right when black people say ugly racial comments about white people than it is when white people say ugly racial comments about black people - that cannot be used as justification for what Limbaugh said.

Quite simply, it was racial because there was no need to bring race into the comment. If he thought the guy was not a good quarterback, all he had to do was say, "I don't think the guy is as good of a quarterback as everyone says."

When you start categorizing people, as far as merit, then it becomes racial.

Of course, anyone can be racist. But the person in question here is Rush Limbaugh.