PDA

View Full Version : If you use Kazaa Lite, the RIAA is spying on you!

harloo
09-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Get Kazaa Lite off of your computer now. LOL! I thought something was up with the Kazaa free of ads. The RIAA is ruthless.

Makers of Kazaa Are Suing Record Labels
Wed Sep 24,11:07 AM ET Add Technology - AP to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES - Turning the tables on record labels, makers of the most popular Internet song-swapping network are suing entertainment companies for copyright infringement.

Sharman Networks Ltd., the company behind the Kazaa file-sharing software, filed a federal lawsuit Monday accusing the entertainment companies of using unauthorized versions of its software in their efforts to root out users. Entertainment companies have offered bogus versions of copyright works and sent online warning messages to users.

Sharman said the companies used Kazaa Lite, an ad-less replica of its software, to get onto the network. The lawsuit also claims efforts to combat piracy on Kazaa violated terms for using the network.

Sharman's lawsuit also revives its previous allegation that the entertainment companies violated antitrust laws by stopping Sharman and its partner from distributing authorized copies of music and movies through Kazaa.

U.S. District Judge Stephen V. Wilson rejected those claims in July but last week allowed Sharman to try again. Sharman is incorporated in the South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu with main offices in Sydney, Australia.

The Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) called Sharman's "newfound admiration for the importance of copyright law" ironic and "self-serving."

Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group declined to comment on Sharman's latest lawsuit.

Recording companies sued 261 music fans this month, claiming they were illegally distributing hundreds of digital song files apiece over the Internet. The industry trolled file-sharing networks such as Kazaa and downloaded song files from users' computers.

Once the industry determined a downloaded song file was a copyright work, they issued subpoenas to Internet access providers to find out who was behind the account used to log onto the file-sharing network.

Meanwhile, the recording industry group has dropped one of the 261 lawsuits, a case filed against a 66-year-old sculptor who apparently was targeted in a case of mistaken identity.

Sarah Seabury Ward, of Newbury, Mass., was accused of illegally sharing more than 2,000 songs through Kazaa, including rapper Trick Daddy's "I'm a Thug." The music companies threatened to hold her liable for up to $150,000 for each song.

After Ward's lawyer complained that Ward is a "computer neophyte" who never installed file-sharing software or downloaded any songs, the case was dropped in federal court in Boston on Friday.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...aring_lawsuit_3

MamaFairal
09-24-2003, 07:58 PM
RID OF ALL MUSIC DOWNLOADS ON MY COMPUTER...

MY KID HAD 340 SONGS ON THIS THING AND I DIDNT KNOW IT :(
BESIDES IT SLOWED DOWN MY SYSTEM AND NOW ITS QUICKER THAN CHIT!NOT RISKING IT HERE.......LISTENING TO THE RADIO INSTEAD.......lol

Willow
09-25-2003, 06:03 AM
They have been doing this for a while now. They already sued a 12 year old girl.

jennirv4967
09-25-2003, 11:40 AM
I wonder...does this mean the reg kazaa is safe from RIAA?

kittyjeff
09-25-2003, 12:41 PM
go to the techtv.com website. You can download a newer version of kazaa which helps block the RIAA and also they have a program you can download that will block all th RIAA's ip address so that they can't trace your ip.

cSoReNSoN
09-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by kittyjeff
go to the techtv.com website. You can download a newer version of kazaa which helps block the RIAA and also they have a program you can download that will block all th RIAA's ip address so that they can't trace your ip.

Yup! I use this version and it seems to work just as well as the original Kaaza Lite. Here is a link to one site where it can be found: http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/10/6/10-6-25.shtml

atag71
09-25-2003, 07:08 PM
what windows versions does it work with? - it doesnt say on the site- i have a dinosaur here.

atag71
09-25-2003, 07:14 PM
nevermind- if it was a snake, it would have bit me- DOH!

LadyBones
09-25-2003, 07:17 PM
I Never use Kazaa, I use win mx....is that a safe one?

freeplease
09-26-2003, 06:06 AM
I was watching our local St Louis news, and they said like 109 subpoena's were going out. I saw Winmx on the list. Guess we'll all be meeting up in prison over this one. ugh I'll bring pie.

TX_Cowgirl
09-26-2003, 08:32 PM
and we will have some good tunes to listen to while we are there..lol jk

freeplease
09-28-2003, 04:05 PM
I swear, just kidding. Can you hear me now, RIAA? Seriously, I think these folks are tuned in to everything now. Toothbrushes, hair dryers, ink pens. The RIAA is everywhere. Big brother, my eye. The man is gonna get you one way or another. lol And me without a fish sammich. :rolleyes: