PDA

View Full Version : Abuse -- what to do ?

Jolie Rouge
09-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Dear Annie,
Your column about what to do when you suspect child abuse was very helpful. I have several compelling reasons to believe that my brother, "Edgar," is physically abusing at least one of his children.

It has been common knowledge in our family that Edgar is emotionally abusive toward his four children, but no one was willing to step forward except me. However, when I finally called the local child welfare authorities, I was treated as if I were the guilty party. It seems the authorities didn't believe a thing I told them. They did pay a visit to my brother's family, but they called ahead and alerted Edgar. I'm sure the visit revealed nothing.

What else can I do? These kids are going to have big problems when they grow up. I wish I could understand why I was received in such a negative way when I tried to stand up for them. The authorities' response just added insult to injury. -- Aunt Who Worries in Pennsylvania

Dear Aunt,
Have you discussed the situation with the children's mother? Does she believe the children are being abused? Give her the number of the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233) (ndvh.org), and tell her to contact the hotline if she is concerned about the kids.

We do not know what kind of evidence you have, but if notifying the authorities did not bring results, it is possible there is no abuse going on. (Let's hope.) Meanwhile, keep your eyes and ears open so you can be a source of support.

Dear Annie,
I read with great interest the letter from "Abused and Neglected in Omaha, Neb.," the 6-feet-4-inch male who was abused by his 5-feet-3-inch wife.

In North Carolina, all a woman has to do is make an accusation and the man is hauled off to jail for 48 hours. No proof of abuse is needed, and there is no bond for the accused. Being the female, she is immediately assumed to be the victim. Even if the charges are dismissed, the accused now has a police record.

The laws meant to protect abuse victims are being used as a weapon to abuse males, and of course, no politician wants to touch these laws. -- I Was a Male Victim

Dear Victim,
If our mail is any indication, there are a lot of abused men out there. The National Domestic Violence Hotline WILL help if you call 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233) (www.ndvh.org). Or contact the Domestic Abuse Helpline for Men, 1-877-643-1120 Access Code 0757 (www.noexcuse4abuse.org). Here are more hair-raising tales:

From the Midwest: I tried to leave my girlfriend after she beat me. We have two children, so I foolishly begged her to take me back. I finally succeeded in getting out two months ago. Before I left, however, she beat me up and reported to the police that I had hit her. When she harassed me at my office, I called the police. However, when they arrived, they arrested ME. The system does not protect men.

New York: Anyone being abused should discreetly dial 911 and leave the phone off the cradle so authorities can hear what is really happening.

Florida: My ex-wife hit me so hard on one occasion that I was nearly knocked unconscious. While completing my master's degree, I did a research paper on abused males. Often, the woman feels it is not abuse because men should "just take it." Abuse is not a male or female problem, it's an abuse problem.

Washington: Abused husbands need proof. One way would be to hide a video camera somewhere. If the wife gets out of control, he should be able to lead her into the room with the camera and prove that SHE was beating HIM. No one should have to put up with that kind of treatment and then be judged the perpetrator by officials.

Pennsylvania: My nephew called the police to report that his girlfriend had beaten him, but he was ignored even though he had "battle scars" and witnesses. All the information I have seen regarding abuse is directed at women. I know that many women are abused, but that doesn't mean the reverse doesn't exist, too.

Kentucky: Although I had hot soup poured on me and was stabbed twice, I didn't leave my wife until she began abusing my son. Here are some things I learned:

1. Abuse will happen again and again. It usually escalates.

2. People who are "users" will find "givers" to abuse.

3. Loving someone will not change him or her.

4. If someone stays with an abuser, there are two sick people involved -- the abuser and the victim. The victim "allows" it to happen by staying.

5. There is life after abuse and happiness if you try to find it.

miccit
09-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Those are such sad stories.

DH's grandma beat his grandfather throughout their 22 year marriage. He finally left her when the youngest child was in high school. Two weeks after he left her my MIL came home from a date and found him shot to death. DH's grandmother had finally killed him. This affected all of the kids in so many ways that still show today. :(

janelle
09-17-2003, 11:39 AM
I agree with most of that but sometimes when the abused tries to leave them the abuser will kill them. This has been done so it makes it really hard sometimes for a person to take actions unless they have back-up to help them.

Also so many people are crying fake abuse now a days for revenge against a spouse or parent, the authorities are having a hard time knowing what to do. They have to waste time to go out on a stupid call only to find out they have a spoiled kid wanting his own way to get around his parents rules. Seen it happen. :mad:

schsa
09-18-2003, 07:22 AM
The saddest part is that the abused person stays to be abused again and again. That is where the real problem lies. If an abuser has no one to strike out against the the circle is broken. But if someone stays so that their children can see this as acceptable behavior the circle of violence can continue. No, not all children who grow up in the home of an abuser becomes an abuser but the chances are far greater than a person growing up in a home without an abuser.

janelle
09-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Fireball
It does happen.
But most police officers would rather make 9 dead-end calls if it means making one emergency call where they save a life. Better safe than sorry, they feel. They'd rather be careful and check everything out to make sure everyone is OK, and if they are, that's good news. I've never heard a police officer call his/her work 'stupid.'

No, I don't think the work is stupid, the call is stupid on the part of the caller. The police have to put up with everything now so I feel for them. They could be doing more important work going to a real abuse situation instead of being bogged down in nut calls. We've all heard that a real emergency was late in getting the authorities there cause they were busy on a false call.