PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sylvan Learning Center

badswife
09-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know anything about them? Does anyone have their child going there? How good are they? Etc. My son that is in the 4th grade really needs help in certian areas. I need to do something before it is too late. Please let me know anything you can! Thanks:confused:

jaybird
09-15-2003, 08:40 PM
My dot went to Sylvan her senior year in high school to take the ACT prep course. It helped her raise her score by 5 points. It is pricey, cost $500 back in 1997 for that short course. Have you considered talking to the principal or counselor at your local high school? Ask if there would be an 'honor' student that would be interested in tutoring your son 2 or 3 days a week for an hour. My dot did that all through high school. She charged (I think) $10 an hour. And it was VERY successful for the children. It's a very reasonably priced option for you.

justinenycole26
09-16-2003, 04:51 AM
I have heard that it is very expensive, the preson I know that sent their child there was spending over $300 a month. Is the work something you can't help him with? I would try Jaybird's idea, or even recruit older siblings, cousins, etc. There are also a lot of online homework help sites. If you have AOL they have a link on the home page of Kids Only screen names. You also might talk to your school, they may be able to connect you with a substitute teacher or a school volunteer that could help him in their spare time for a small fee. The school should have some suggestions for you. Good luck!

badswife
09-16-2003, 09:24 AM
THANKS, JUST LOOKING AT OUR OPTIONS.

nosamiam
09-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Don't use them. We spent over $1,000 and it didn't do a bit of good.