PDA

View Full Version : Ben and JLo Split up!

FrEEbiZ4Me
09-14-2003, 08:43 AM
September 13, 2003

Sources: Splitsville for Ben and J.Lo

Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez, who just days ago were planning their weekend wedding, have split up, sources close to the couple tell PEOPLE.
The break-up comes in the wake of their decision Wednesday to postpone their Sunday wedding in Montecito, Calif., before as many as 400 guests. The couple blamed the delay on excessive media attention surrounding the event, but reports persisted that Affleck was having second thoughts about the nuptials. A PEOPLE source says it was Affleck who initiated the split.

While it was unclear whether the separation was permanent, Lopez was "devastated," according to one friend. The star was in tears, sources said, on Wednesday as she called guests telling them of the wedding's postponement.

Lopez, accompanied by friends and a bodyguard, went for a very public jog and swim -- at one point changing into a bathing suit behind a phalanx of towel-bearing guards -- Saturday afternoon along Miami's South Beach, not far from her 11-bedroom house in Miami Beach, where she flew solo on Friday from Los Angeles. Affleck was believed to still be in Los Angeles, though some reports had him heading to Las Vegas for tonight's Shane Mosely-Oscar De La Hoya fight.

The split caps a tumultuous summer for the couple, whose romance became public in July 2002 just days after she divorced Cris Judd. They have endured brutal reviews for their performances in the film "Gigli," while tabloid reports have accused Affleck of misbehaving with strippers during a late-night visit to a Vancouver nightclub (reports he vehemently denied). Lopez publicly stuck by her fiancee ("for me, it wasn't an issue," she told W magazine), and plans continued apace for their wedding -- his first, her third.

Ken Sunshine, Affleck's spokesman, said he had no knowledge of a split. Lopez' spokesman Dan Klores said he believed the couple was still together, but had not spoken to Lopez in several days.

During their time together, the pair -- who met on the set of "Gigli" -- generated worldwide attention, costarring in a sexy music video for her song "Jenny from the Block" and purchasing each other extravagant gifts, including a Rolls-Royce, a Harry Winston bracelet of white and yellow diamonds and 6.1 carat pink diamond solitaire Affleck gave Lopez as an engagement ring. Nevertheless, they thought of themselves as working-class kids -- she from the Bronx, he from Boston -- who shared similar values. As a teetotaler, Lopez was also seen as healthy for Affleck, who is a recovering alcoholic.

The couple will be together again -- at least on screen. Their second costarring vehicle, "Jersey Girl," is set for release next year.

cSoReNSoN
09-14-2003, 09:41 AM
I can't say I'm that surprised that Bennifer have broken up. Afterall, he was her rebound from hubby #2 Cris Judd.

nanajoanie
09-14-2003, 09:45 AM
I think this is a decoy. They both go their separate ways for a few days and meet separately somewhere for a private wedding. J-Lo had 3 decoy brides when she realized how ridiculous this whole papapprazzi sp? junk is. Time will tell...

Willow
09-14-2003, 09:45 AM
I think we were all expecting this to happen.

chicodog
09-14-2003, 11:21 AM
I was just reading in the local papers about their "wedding" on Kauai on Sunday.

Merryg
09-14-2003, 12:13 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I don't like Ben for her. I am a JLo fan. They jsut seem too opposite for each other.

LadyBones
09-14-2003, 12:29 PM
i must definetly be a minority here, I don't like either one! I agree with it being a ploy though.

DAVESBABYDOLL
09-14-2003, 12:35 PM
I will be surprised if it wasn't a trick, I am sick of reading in every people mag. about them.

jaybird
09-14-2003, 12:57 PM
And this affects my life how?
:D

GeThang
09-14-2003, 01:20 PM
I don't think they were a very good couple either. They just didn't look right together for some reason. Figured this would happen. I think everyone has.

zitra
09-14-2003, 03:36 PM
I think it was only a matter or time since he had already cheated on her

Danny
09-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Does anyone really care?

Lora_1994
09-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Merryg
I may be in the minority here, but I don't like Ben for her. I am a JLo fan. They jsut seem too opposite for each other.

Ditto!!:D

Merryg
09-14-2003, 07:36 PM
What? Another JLo fan on here? I about fell out of my seat from disbelief!!! LOL!! Glad to know I'm not the only one! ;)

cinnamonch
09-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Everyone knows the only reason they were together to begin with so they could promote their tired movie which sucked in itself.

Merryg
09-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Even though I like JLo, just based on the previews, I knew that was not one I wanted to see. The chemistry between the two doesn't feel right.

nanajoanie
09-14-2003, 08:20 PM
I really like J-Lo music but I have never seen Ben since we don't go to movies or rent them. I still think it's a "send the media away" trick. I hope it works. I know if you want fame you lose most of your privacy but dang it, we need to let these "famous" folks have some kind of life. Doesn't matter if they are your favorites or not.

Widgetsx3
09-14-2003, 08:28 PM
Makes me happy...Leaves Ben free for his true love....Me! Oh Ben....I am in AZ!

MistyWolf
09-14-2003, 08:35 PM
LOL @ Widget .. I personally don't care either way, but I also think it is a decoy too. I won't be surprised if we see in the papers with-in the next few weeks how they actually got married and got away with doing it on the sly.