PDA

View Full Version : I need help in finding the name of a certain medication!

CABANN
09-12-2003, 08:23 AM
My 15 year old son had surgery three weeks ago on his chest. He is still sore and in some pain but we are dealing with that.

As of yesterday, as he was getting up in the morning, I noticed a bald spot (a little bigger that a half $) on the upper back of his head. I have been told it is from stress his body has gone through lately and was also tol that there is a medication that will help the hair grow back sooner. The person who told me about the med ( her husband took it after heart surgery), couldn't remember the name of it. If any one has any knowledge about it please let me know. Thanks

Kelsey1224
09-12-2003, 08:41 AM
rogaine?

CABANN
09-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Kelsey1224
rogaine?

nope that is not it. But we have been teasing Zach about getting him teenage rogaine.

I want to do a little research on this med. before we see the surgeon again. That way I go to the next apt. with a little knowledge about it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I fell bad for him, is going to try to go back to school next week, and once he gets his short hair cut for ROTC , the bald spot will be real noticable. At least he has a great sence of humor and laughs about it.:D

CABANN
09-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Treatment

Telogen effluvium is self-correcting. It is really not influenced by any treatment that can be given. However, gentle handling of the hair, avoiding over-vigorous combing, brushing and any type of scalp massage are important.

You should also ensure a nutritious diet, with plenty of protein, fruit and vegetables.

The doctor may check your levels of iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid, as any deficiency in these can slow hair growth.

I guess I am calling the surgeon again to let him know about my bald son.
:D :D

chyna123
09-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Ravenlost if you can remember the name of it let me know...I sure could use something to help my hair grow...

CABANN
09-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Ravenlost
Hey Cabann...there's a vitamin supplement they sell at WalMart that helps hair grow. I know a BBS member (Furgy) who swears by it.

Thanks Raven I will give her a pm.

I talk to his surgeon today and he said "bald spots" is very normal in children after a long surgery, from the stress. He said the hair will grow back in 1-3 months. Poor kid it is hard enough being a teenager without having to deal with this.

Yesterday the bald spot wasn't that bad but today (as the day goes on) it is huge. I feel so bad for him.

At least he has always been the type of kid that handles everything in stride. He always goes with the flow.