PDA

View Full Version : starching a shirt?

mightyman
09-10-2003, 05:02 PM
ok - i love ironing but i dont use much starch - have a very important mtg tomm so i was gonna starch my shirt

how do i do it? spray on outside or inside

etc

heeeeeeeeeeeelp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

thanks

schsa
09-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Is it 100% cotton or a cotton/poly blend? 100% cotton you can use a spray starch on the top side of the fabric and go from there. It probably won't do much for a cotton/poly blend but it will make a 100% cotton shirt crisp.

Also if your shirt is 100% cotton put the heat of the iron up as high as you can. Cotton/poly can't take it but I use the highest setting on my 100% cottons and I use steam to make the edges crisp. I love ironing.

miccit
09-10-2003, 05:08 PM
I always spray on the outside of the shirt. I am not sure if that is the correct way to do it, it is just how my mom taught me to.

Good luck with your meeting tomorrow!:)

Mini
09-10-2003, 05:18 PM
ok - i love ironing

I don't think I've ever heard that come from a guys mouth before..:D

mightyman
09-10-2003, 05:55 PM
ok i did it but its not super tight - im gonna wear the blue shirt - i just dont think the white one looks good on me

my mother feels like i should change into it at work but i dont have any other shirts that fit

anywhoo its ironed - im gonna look at it in an hr and decide if i should restarch

is it a good idea to spray some starch on the shirt while hanging on the hanger and then just leave it alone and not iron over the starch???

Gumball1960
09-10-2003, 06:33 PM
If you want it to look nice without being too stiff, try using a sizing spray instead of starch. Magic Sizing worked great on the uniform shirts and pants I used to have to wear. Spray it on the outside of the shirt in a light, even mist then iron.

julie_angel
09-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Good luck at your meeting!

The only thing I know about starch is that when I use it on dark colors, I spray it on the inside so it doesn't leave those white flakes on the clothing. For white dress shirts, I spray it on the outside. Always be careful there is no scorch marks on the bottom of your iron. I learned that the hard way, when ironing my only white blouse before going somewhere important, I ended up with brown marks all over the seams. LOL!

Danny
09-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Buddy - there are these places that will do all that for about $1.20 a shirt - and if it isn't right you get to look indignant and make them do it over. A grand sense of power!!!
(you can tell I never ironed in my life)

tsquared
09-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Yo Mightyman.....saying you like ironing gives us guys a bad name.lol
I used to iron my shirts until i found i could sleep on them under the mattress and they got nice and wrinkled.....errrr i mean looked just like the slept in look......i finally decided after a month of ironing daily that it just wasnt worth the shirt looking worse after i started than before so i quit.....
Dude tell us all how your meeting went.....T has a feeling you will do really well in your meeting!!!!!!!

GeThang
09-10-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm an outside starcher. I hate ironing and starch everything. LOL