PDA

View Full Version : 12-year-old settles music swap lawsuit

hotwheelstx
09-10-2003, 08:34 AM
LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A day after being sued for illegally sharing music files through the Internet, a 12-year-old girl has settled with the Recording Industry Association of America.

She's the first of 261 defendants to settle their lawsuits with the association.

Brianna LaHara agreed Tuesday to pay $2,000, or about $2 per song she allegedly shared.

"I am sorry for what I have done," LaHara said. "I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."

The suit claimed LaHara had been offering more than 1,000 songs on the Internet, using the Kazaa file-sharing service.

The RIAA said it was pleased with the settlement. There are 260 cases still pending.

"We're trying to send a strong message that you are not anonymous when you participate in peer-to-peer file-sharing and that the illegal distribution of copyrighted music has consequences," said Mitch Bainwol, RIAA chairman and chief executive officer. "And as this case illustrates, parents need to be aware of what their children are doing on their computers."

Monday, RIAA filed lawsuits against 261 individual Internet music file-sharers and announced an amnesty program for most people who admit they illegally shared music files through the Internet. The amnesty would only offer protection for songs represented by the RIAA and not from publishers, musicians or others with rights to songs.

Cary Sherman, president of the RIAA, said the civil lawsuits were filed against "major offenders" who made available an average of 1,000 copyright song files.

Record companies blame illegal music file-trading for a 31-percent fall in compact disc sales since mid-2000.

Sherman also announced the Clean Slate Program that grants amnesty to users who voluntarily identify themselves, erase downloaded music files and promise not to share music on the Internet. The RIAA said it will not sue users who sign and have notarized a Clean Slate Program affidavit.

The offer of amnesty will not apply to about 1,600 people targeted by copyright subpoenas from the RIAA. The decision was made a few weeks after U.S. appeals court rulings mandated that Internet providers turn over the names of subscribers believed to be sharing music and movies illegally.

Until now, the only music file-swapping lawsuits filed by the RIAA were against four college students accused of making thousands of songs available on campus networks. Those cases were settled for $12,500 to $17,000 each.

Sherman said Monday that the RIAA had negotiated settlements in the range of $3,000 with a "handful" of Internet users who had learned from their Internet service providers that they were being targeted for lawsuits. The industry is also pursuing subpoenas at universities around the country seeking to identify music file traders.

janelle
09-10-2003, 12:25 PM
That was kinda silly to start out with a child wasn't it? Kids will do things without knowing the implications. My SS ordered light bulbs over the phone from a company that called our house and when they came we just kept them cause he didn't know he had to pay for them. The company called and we told them they could not make a contract with a minor. We didn't want to be out the money to send them back.

If this girl didn't know the implications then she shouldn't be held responsible. I just think it would have been smarter to start out with an adult.

schsa
09-10-2003, 12:26 PM
If people were willing to work together and stop buying music for even a week or two it would shake up the music industry so badly that they would quit going after individuals.

janelle
09-10-2003, 12:31 PM
I think $12 to $20 dollars for a CD is ridiculous anyway. I heard they are going to come down on prices cause of the economy. Might be one good thing about a poor economy, prices won't shyrocket if people want to sell their product.

BearsBunny2
09-10-2003, 07:16 PM
I don't understand how they could sue a minor. How is a 12 year old gonna pay $2,000? If minors can't enter contracts, then how can they be sued? Maybe it is just me that doesn't get it.

Danny
09-10-2003, 07:35 PM
I think it may have been used as a wake-up call for parents to start supervising what their kids are doing on the Internet. Computers may be useful in their studies and a great babysitter - but look at the trouble a child can get into.

GeThang
09-10-2003, 08:34 PM
12 years old is ridiculous. Esp. a 12 year old isn't going to think they're going to get caught.

adair
09-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by schsa
If people were willing to work together and stop buying music for even a week or two it would shake up the music industry so badly that they would quit going after individuals.

I agree but doubt there are enough people out there that would agree to it.

HaveKids,LostMind
09-10-2003, 10:47 PM
Big Bad Music Company vs. 12 yr old :confused:

C'mon now! That is just stupid! My 6 year old has downloaded some songs, care to sue him too??? I just wonder if Britney Spears or Madonna would agree with suing a 12 yr old who loves their music??

Maeryn
09-10-2003, 11:47 PM
It's true that a minor can't be legally bound by a contract, but that doesn't apply in this case. She was sued for violating copyright laws.

On the one hand, I think it's pretty crappy to go after a 12 year old. But they probably did it to set an example, and to really put a scare into people...if they will sue a 12 year old, they're not going to show mercy to ANYBODY!! Another thing they might be worried about is adults using kids to help with their file sharing, to protect themselves from legal action. As in, "Hey, it wasn't me man, that was all done under my son's screen name."

Dolly<3
09-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Yea, there was an older man who said his grandson had been the one downloading the files on his computer.

I don't think this is going to make people stop. Well, not most people.

DAVESBABYDOLL
09-11-2003, 04:29 AM
[i]Originally posted by *Amanda*

I don't think this is going to make people stop. Well, not most people. [/B]

I agree, music piracy has been around for a long time

hotwheelstx
09-11-2003, 05:17 AM
I don't feel this will stop anything. If anything a person will find another way to obtain what they want w/out getting caught. I'm not saying it's right/wrong...it's human nature.

I just couldn't believe they did this to a 12 year old. I'm sure she was doing this for fun, as we all have done. There was no intentional harm on her behalf or others.