PDA

View Full Version : I need some major questions answered about homeschooling

nooshu
09-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Editing: Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions, help and hugs. I appreciate it!;)

Willow
09-08-2003, 05:00 PM
I haven't homeschooled before but a while back I was thinking about doing it and someone from here emailed me with a lot of information. Unfortunately it was all lost on my old computer. I'm not positive but I don't think that you can homeschool for such a short period of time. You would need to write a letter to the superintendant explaining why you want to homeschool. If you are willing to drive your son to and from school everyday they may make an exception and allow him to stay at the school he's in now until you move to your temporary residence considering the short amount of time that it will be.

nooshu
09-08-2003, 05:09 PM
pm'ed you back freebiequeen1234!!

Patchouli-thanks-

Willow
09-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Oh I see. That does seem like a lot of changes for him to go through. I'm sure someone else on here will be able to give you some good advice. Good luck with your situation. :)

nooshu
09-08-2003, 05:22 PM
;) Thanks, Patchouli!;)

sharinbo
09-08-2003, 06:38 PM
It will depend on the state you are moving to. Check here for state by state info http://www.hslda.org/

HTH!

nooshu
09-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks, sharinbo.

sharinbo
09-08-2003, 07:25 PM
What state are you moving to? You can PM the info if you'd like... I'll see what I can dig up. :)

shelhop
09-08-2003, 07:31 PM
I have one idea...different states have different age requirements for when a child must be enrolled in school. I think in some areas, they don't have to be in a school program until they're seven. I'm no expert, but it might be worth checking out. Then you could pull him from his current school, teach him at home temporarily, then put him back in the new permanant location.

nooshu
09-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks for your help.

nooshu
09-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by shelhop
I have one idea...different states have different age requirements for when a child must be enrolled in school. I think in some areas, they don't have to be in a school program until they're seven. I'm no expert, but it might be worth checking out. Then you could pull him from his current school, teach him at home temporarily, then put him back in the new permanant location.

Thanks-but that is one of the things that I did understand at that site. The age starts at 6 there.:( I'm almost thinking that you might have to have done it for the whole year, or not at all. hmm-maybe I can forge him a new birth certificate-LOL!!;) :D

NINK
09-08-2003, 07:39 PM
shelhop is right, i know for a fact in texas kindergarden is voluntary, but in ohio it is mandatory. check on that first, could save you tons of hasle.

if he must go to school in your new state, go to any local school and ask them for help on home schooling, i bet they know. you could even call the mayors office wich can be found in the government section of your local phone book, they should know where to get your answers.

as for home schooling myself, i have thought into it , but right now my kids are young and want to go to public school, when they get older if they want to be home schooled i will do it.

you can home school and than send them to public, but you may have to do homeschooling for a whole school year or atleast a semester, your state will probably have thier own rules.

i had a friend in scholl who home schooled every other grade, i don't know why.

if you tell me where you will be moving to i could do some research for you.

Lynniesmom
09-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Did u try the Dept. of Education website for the states you are living in and will be moving to for homeschool info.? I considered homeschooling DD and our state dept. of education website had some useful info. and also addresses of people you could email for more info. Hope this helps a little.

nooshu
09-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Thanks for your help.

Unicornmom77
09-08-2003, 08:00 PM
I do not have any answers but wanted to send prayers to you and yours!

nooshu
09-08-2003, 08:09 PM
:D Unicornmom77-Thanks!
;)

sharinbo
09-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Maybe you can submit feedback to this place and they can give you advice regarding your situation. They are based in NJ...
http://www.homeschoolsupport.org/default.asp
Their email addy is hsn@homeschoolsupport.org

nooshu
09-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Again-thanks so much. You are my own search engine! LOL. Good work.;) (((((((((sharinbo)))))))))

sharinbo
09-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Email them and ask. I understand your situation, but I've never seen it mentioned. He's so young, I can't see why it wouldn't be ok to just homeschool him for a couple of months or whatever you need. I'd call the Education Board where you're moving, and ask them straight out. Maybe they will have a way you can enroll him early and do home study with work they send to you...just a thought. I mean, lots of kids miss a month or two here and there for family emergencies, illness or whatever. Good Luck!

bcjjhh
09-09-2003, 04:25 AM
I home school my children and started in MA and then moved to OH and now i am moving back to MA, and I know that each state is different on the rules.

In MA you did not have to homeschool for the entire year you could enroll your child into public or private schools at anytime. Depending on how long your child was homeschooled, he/she will probally be a bit ahead of the public schools as they were one on one vs one on 15 to 20. You can not do that in ohio.

I would suggest calling the school distric that you will be in for the temp move and then if you know where your new permanate residence will be. Each district will require different things. My friend here lives 10 mins away, but differnt districe and we have different "rules" we need to follow.

I would suggest that if you are going to homeschool him for the time you are at your temp address, finish the school year with him and then put him in school next year if possible. You will need to find out what is required for you to teach and the only ones who can tell you that is the school superientendats office.

I wish you the best as I have never known anyone in your situation before. I pray it all goes well for you and your son. If you need anything else and want to email me please do. chenbru@yahoo.com

nooshu
09-09-2003, 04:31 AM
Thanks again for all of your hard work sharinbo.

Thanks for the info that you were able to provide, as well, bcjjhh.

Thanks for all of the well wishes, too, guys. They mean alot!

;)

kaylaandbrittanysmom
09-09-2003, 05:01 AM
http://www.gomilpitas.com/homeschooling/laws/blNJ.htm

http://www.hispraise.com/lilydawn/NJlaws.htm

Check these sites out.You can homeschool for a short period of time,I believe.I know here in Fl(they are a little strict about homeschooling),I was told I cut put my daughter in public school anytime during the year.She then can not miss more than the maximum number of days allowed.She would not have to meet the full attendance requirement because she was not there from the beginning.

Go ahead and call the local school board in NJ and ask them about the attendance issues.I am almost positive you will be able to homeschool for only 2 months with no problems.

nooshu
09-09-2003, 05:45 AM
kaylaandbrittanysmom-Thanks alot for the info. These sites are very informative. I will be checking into all of this. Thanks for replying and finding the sites!;)