PDA

View Full Version : Mom Gets Maximum Sentence For Drowning Son

Lisa03
09-03-2003, 10:57 AM
TROY, N.Y. -- A judge who said he had "no room for mercy" has sentenced a woman to 50 years to life in prison for drowning her 4-year-old son in a bathtub last year.

Christine Wilhelm, (pictured) was sentenced Wednesday in Troy to the maximum 25 years to life for killing Luke Wilhelm and another 25 years for attempting to drown his 5-year-old brother, who survived. The brother escaped from the tub.

The judge said he was showing Wilhelm the same mercy she showed Luke when she drowned him in their home last year.

Wilhelm -- who was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic -- was convicted of murder and attempted murder in July.

Wilhelm, who's 39, had pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.

A caseworker testified that Wilhelm told her she knew what she was doing was wrong and tried to resuscitate her son. But instead of calling for help, she put him back in the tub and killed him.

Wilhelm's husband has said she had stopped taking her medication and her mental state deteriorated.

Before her sentencing, her husband, Kenneth, wept as he gave his victim's statement.

The father said his son Luke would have started kindergarten Thursday. The father described the night Luke died as a "night from hell."

Tadbit
09-03-2003, 11:03 AM
:( Such a sad story. Hope this woman isn't allowed to be around any kids again.

julie_angel
09-03-2003, 11:05 AM
I say they hold her face underwater for a while. Bring her back up and keep doing it. I feel so bad for these kids. :( I guess you really would have to have some serious mental problems to do something like that. I will never understand.:( It really does break my heart.

Willow
09-03-2003, 11:28 AM
:(

DAVESBABYDOLL
09-03-2003, 06:45 PM
It's really sad, not only did the survivng son lose his brother but his mother as well, I hope he has a good family for support. Poor little guy.

Unicornmom77
09-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Pray for this family, my gosh all they r going through, that poor litte boy! And the husband, to have to live with that! OH My!

GeThang
09-03-2003, 10:59 PM
So sad. Glad she has to serve the time.

badswife
09-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Can you really say this is fair punishment for this woman? I mean it was not to fair for her to take her sons life, and if she had been able to she would have taken the other ones too. Why does she deserve to continue to live? Our court system sucks!