PDA

View Full Version : Morning sickness remedies? HELP!

sharinbo
09-01-2003, 06:26 PM
OK...whoever named it morning sickness must be out of their minds, because I am sick ALL day! I have maybe 2 hrs in the morning and 1 or 2 hrs late at night that I am not plastered to the sofa praying that I won't be sick. Actually, I'm not vomiting much, mostly just feeling like I'm going to all the time. I don't think I'm going to make it to the fair next week! :(
Anyway, I know I can search online for morning sickness remedies, but I wanted to ask my BBS family instead. What worked for you? Anything tried and true? I get heartburn just looking at most foods right now! Ugh!

Honeys_Brat
09-01-2003, 06:28 PM
i heard saltine crackers work, but since i have NO experience or plan to for a long time, hopefully someone else can help lol

GOOD LUCK!

miccit
09-01-2003, 06:30 PM
I had horrible morning sickness with three of my pregnancies. Try eating some saltines or almonds before you get out of bed in the morning. You can also try eating something with protein in it right before you go to bed, this keeps your blood sugar up so you won't feel as nauseous in the morning.
If you start throwing up a lot let your doctor know there are medications that can help. I had a Reglan pump with my last two pregnancies. But, they only do that if you are really sick (I was in the hospital everyday for IV fluids).

My doctor said basically if it sounds good, eat it. 9 times out of 10 if you crave it it won't make you sick.

Try GingerAle or Coke. Coke is good for settling your stomach.

I hope you feel better soon. Oh and check with your doctor, but it should be ok to take Tums for the heartburn. Mine had me eat them for the Calcium.

okie
09-01-2003, 06:33 PM
I was sick morning and night also.Try laying in bed for awhile before you get up.And if you are already up when you get sick,lay down.Crackers and water would sometimes help me but i usually puked them right back up.

Mini
09-01-2003, 06:36 PM
My mom said her doc. always told her to eat IN bed..don't get up. But that was awhile ago lol

justinenycole26
09-01-2003, 06:38 PM
So you finally got your drink of the BBS water! I haven't been on for a couple days but I was wondering about you.

Sorry to tell you, but NOTHING worked for me. I was puking for 4 months straight. I could not even keep down water. That was the first pregnancy. The second I did not get sick at all. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel. LOL

tiffany21
09-01-2003, 06:39 PM
ginger snapps work also.

jayhawkfan
09-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Well for me it was lemon drops and peppermints. Seemed like all I could eat was crackers. Hope you feel better soon {{{{Shari}}}}

PS....Let me know if youre feeling better, maybe we can meet up at the fair.

annie169
09-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Peppermint Tea...I drank that like CRAZY when pregnant with my daughter. Helps with the nausea!!

Tasha405
09-01-2003, 06:48 PM
I've been real sick with this pregnancy and nothing really helped 100%. I would eat crackers & drink milk. I also would drink some Coke and eat TUMS if the milk and crackers didn't help. I would get sick at all times of the day too. I even had a few days to where I had to stop in the middle of cooking because the food was making me so sick. lol I can laugh about it now because the worse part quit when I was about 6 months along. Just try to hang in there, it will get better. (I Hope) :)

*StarDust*
09-01-2003, 06:50 PM
nothing seemed to help mine either, I completely feel your
pain. It wasn't just the morning it was all day long and it
was for the whole 3 trimesters not just the 1st like they told me
it would be.
The only thing that helped me was soda crackers, (I didn't think they
would help since the idea of them actually made me sick but I forced
them down and they helped a lot)
Good luck! I hope things get easier in your pregnancy:)

cpbaby
09-01-2003, 07:58 PM
I quit eating. I am 4 1/2 months long with ths one and have lost 20 lbs. I found out that just not eating anything at all helped as much as anything.

Also, if you dont mind me asking, are you taking the prenatal vitamins? They ALWAYS make me more pukey. I had to quit taking them for awhile with all of my kidlets.

jaybird
09-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Best remedy I know of for morning sickness is child birth. :D

Sorry, I know how miserable that is. With Sarah, I was sick 20 hours a day (even waking up in the middle of the night) for 6 months. Nothing helped me. But peppermint tea (sipping it, not gulping it) did help temporarily. Hang in there, it will pass.

zitra
09-01-2003, 08:28 PM
i have a few my Dr. gave me...saltines (at your bedside), he also said that about 1/2 cup of Pepsi, or Coke would work (always works for me now if i start feelign sick, about 1/2 cup or so of cola), but the one that worked best for me was when my Dr. told me to suck on a lemon wedge, that you have sprinkled a little salt on.

zitra
09-01-2003, 08:33 PM
Wanted to add if you are on an iron supplement (like i was)never have ANYTHING with calcium an hour before or after taking the iron. My Dr. told me this, but I found that alot of Dr.'s don't tell thier patients this. It will make you VERY sick, and make you vomit (will feel somewhat like morning sickness). This goes for if you are taking calcium pills NEVER take the same time as iron..I knew a girl who couldn't figure out why she kept getting sick..come to find out she was taking her iron pills with a big glass of milk (he Dr. never told her what would happen).
I know htis may sound gross, but the iron will make the milk curdle/sour in your stomache..I had forgotten once, and eaten a salad with cheese in it, after takign the iron pill, and became VERY sick.

Unicornmom77
09-01-2003, 08:58 PM
BLESS YOU HUN!! I know I was nausus most of all my pregnancies, I did the saltines and milk, also I take script meds for it now. makes all the diff! GOOD LUCK!

sharinbo
09-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the input!
I'm usually pretty much ok for a bit when I wake up, but a couple of hours later, nausea sets in, and it lasts all day long. I am just now feeling semi-ok today, and it's bedtime! Saltines help when I feel like I'm hungry but it's not time to eat yet. Lemon tea has helped a little...every time I eat, I feel like I'm starving 10 minutes later. Tonight I actually got sick for the first time. As awful as it is, I am still elated, because it means that I am PREGNANT!!! :)
Bo is already being so sweet. I'm obsessing over chinese food, so tomorrow my non-cooking fiance is going to make me a chinese dinner from scratch! Wish us luck! :)

janelle
09-01-2003, 10:24 PM
((((Shari)))) Did you do a search online? If you can make it to the Fair, I may see you there. Look for "The Woman's Place". The OB/GYNs are setting up a chair for the nursing mother's to have a private place to nurse their babies while at the Fair.

Acually, I probably won't help there but that would be a good place to meet. My SIL is a nurse but works in Lyons. She may know of something. Did you get that free book on pregnancy that was on BBS? If not you can have mine.

Hope you start to feeling better real soon.

HumblePie98
09-02-2003, 01:54 AM
If your already taking Prenatsl's take them at night before bed!!!

Nothing helped me, as soon as my eyes were open I was puking my guts out.

My sister did crackers and sherbert ice cream

For heartburn you might want to raise the bed up a bit or sleep with two pillows on a incline. I took alot of tums! ( I should have bought stock!) and drank tons of milk!

cch
09-02-2003, 02:11 AM
Nothing has helped me, it's been thru the whole pregnancy. It doesn't seem that long ago I posted asking the same question. I saved a list of things people suggested for me to try:

saltine crackers
crushed ice
instant breakfast drinks
vitamin b6 shots (from your doctor) - they gave me mine in the hip/butt and it HURT!

Found this too:

Originally posted by unicorn9149
Just read about this product and wondered if anyone has tried them. They are called pregger pops. They're suckers that ae supposed to help with morning sickness (too late for me) and motion sickness.
www.preggiepop.com
If you click on stores they tell you where they're sold or you can buy online

Urban Cowgirl
09-02-2003, 03:06 AM
I was really sick at the beginning, so much so that they had to give me meds for it. I am still convinced that the only reason those worked is because they knocked me right out. As things started to get a litte better I went off the meds and stuff with lemon seemed to help. My hubby made many trips to Auntie Annies pretzel stand for one of their lemonades!!!! Before I ever got pregnant I had really bad acid reflux , And pregnancy made me allergic to the meds so I had to stop taking them. So now that the baby is big(I am 35 weeks) Nothing helps!!!!! Its horrible. I hope you find something that works for you.

Tasha405
09-02-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by cpbaby
I quit eating. I am 4 1/2 months long with ths one and have lost 20 lbs. I found out that just not eating anything at all helped as much as anything.

Also, if you dont mind me asking, are you taking the prenatal vitamins? They ALWAYS make me more pukey. I had to quit taking them for awhile with all of my kidlets. I've lost 20 pounds too and I haven't gained any of it back yet! I hope it keeps coming off after I have her. lol

I couldn't take the prenatal vitamins my doctor gave me so he told me to take 2 Flintstone vitamins a day. I couldn't do that either because I couldn't stand the taste of them. I tried swallowing them whole but I couldn't, they would get stuck.:rolleyes:

RobMom
09-02-2003, 06:54 AM
Nothing helped me either. I was sick every morning for 7 months. I tried to cracker thing, but it didn't really help. I have heard of some new lollipop that has ginger in it. Ginger is supposed to help as well, but when I tried it, I felt more sick. But getting back to the lollipops. Go to www.preggiepops.com and check them out. I think for my next pregnancy - which I hope is soon - I will order some of these.

ckerr4
09-02-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by cpbaby

Hey, that's what worked for me too! And when I finally went back to work, another teacher (a guy) kept saying, "There's just something different about you..." I don't know, the fact that I'm twenty pounds lighter?

And then my doctor got p!ssed!

Lol, he was like, "I'm sending you to the hospital. Hooking you up to an IV." :(

And then he prescribed me something called Zofran to keep the nausea at bay.

After that, at first, all I could eat was red grapes. A little kool-aid lemonade. Strangely enough, my mom said that's all I ever anted when I was little and sick. But then I progressed to muffins. Just a little bit, crumbs really. The doctor's office gave me, shoot, I can't think of the name of them, some kind of energy bat, NOT slim-fast, and not a protein bar, just one of htose energy bats, like Boost. Chocolate. This was further along than you are, and I though I wouldn't be able to eat it, but I forced myself to, and ended up eating the whole box in about 10 minutes:D

You can try ice chips, just for hydration. Also, freeze gatorade and suck on the gatorade ice cubes.

Fruit. Cooked, nondressed pasta. Sometimes pasta salad IF you've had a good day:D saltines, although the d@mn things always made me puke more.

lots and lots of zofran. lol.

The doc may prescribe phenegran. That personally never helped me with the naseau - it just put me to sleep. Which is okay too;)

Hi_Ya!
09-02-2003, 11:00 AM
I was fortunate when I was pregnant with each of my Girls ( 2 ) that I didn't experience morning sickness. Just mainly an upset stomach from the special pregnacy vitimins.
I would say do what others have suggested with the saltine crackers and Vernors (ginger ale). Oh and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :)

queenangie
09-02-2003, 11:31 AM
So sorry to hear about your tummy problems.

I had saltines (while lying in bed with my head up on pillows) and Bracht's peppermint hard candies. Tea helped too just sipping on it.
Thanks.
Angie

Lori63
09-02-2003, 11:50 AM
With my second son (1991) I was sick every afternoon. The doctor gave me Unisom-something in it helped. I would ask my doctor before trying it (it's been 12 years, so they might have some reason for you not to take it now)Good Luck!

janelle
09-02-2003, 01:07 PM
For those having a hard time swallowing pills, get a pill spliter at your pharmacy. Cut the pills to manageable size and you can get them down. Don't know why they make horse pills anyway. Why not make them smaller and tell you to take two? LOL

newwiccan
09-02-2003, 01:22 PM
So far with this pregnancy,nothing has worked. Nothing did with Hayden either. I'm sick all the time. A friend came by yesterday and said to suck on peppermints or anything with ginger in it is supposed to help too. Good luck! I feel for you. :)

janelle
09-02-2003, 11:35 PM
The Mayo Clinic baby book says for nausea and vomiting you can---

Modify your eating habits. Eat smaller meals more frequently thoughout the day. Drinking less fluid with meals may also provide relief. The idea is to avoid having your stomach completely empty or completely full.

Eat morning snacks. If nausea is worse when you first wake up, try nibbling on soda crackers or sipping weak tea before you get out of bed. Rise slowly, allowing a little time to digest before you get up.

Rest. Fatigue that is so common in early pregnancy can also cause nausea. Additional sleep each night may help.

Avoid displeasing smells and foods. You might find certain smells or foods unpleasant even it they had no such reactions before.

Other possible remedies. An over the counter antacid may help. Don't take one until getting your doctor's advice. Some types can cause fluid buildup. Vitamin B6 may be a remedy but talk to your doctor before taking a vitamin supplement.

Some women use acupressure or motion-sickness bands. These bracelets exert a stedy pressure on the inside of the wrist.

Hope this helps Shari and all who are experiencing it. Huggs.

PreciousDarlin
09-03-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by jaybird
Best remedy I know of for morning sickness is child birth. :D

That is exactly what I was thinking! Only thing that worked for me. With my daughter, I lived on saltines and ice for the last half of my pregnancy. With my son, I went through stages of things I would eat...one month, it was nothing but greasy (and you would think that would make it worse) potatoe wedges from a particular convienient store on the outskirts of town, the next month it was nothing but subway. Ultimately, I found that giving birth was the only thing that made it stop.