PDA

View Full Version : surgery to lose weight question

mesue
08-31-2003, 01:22 PM
Has anyone had the stomach surgery to lose weight? Hubby is losing his job soon so if I'm going to do it; it has to be soon to get it paid for. How quick did you recover and whats it like health wise after the surgery and would you do it again?

bears984
08-31-2003, 03:13 PM
My boss had this done not to long ago and she is sick all of the time she can't eat any thing and if she does not eat 6 to 8 small meals she gets real sick! I don't think that she would have it done again and she might be having it reversed!

Mini
08-31-2003, 03:15 PM
Somebody i know did the stomach stapeling thing last year..yes he did lose weight but hes still big. I guess it takes awhile to lose a lot though.

nanajoanie
08-31-2003, 03:38 PM
One of my DIL's had this done. She went from over 300# to 150#. I don't think she had any problems. But just the other night we saw on TV that many folks have more serious problems after the surgery. So I would search on the internet, ask everyone you know, and get a 2nd opinion. Good luck:)

twinfawn
08-31-2003, 03:46 PM
My brother-in-law is having that surgery Weds., because of health reasons, he is scared to death, he had a dream the other night that they put him to sleep and then couldn't wake him up....

Shancopp
08-31-2003, 04:20 PM
My neighbor had this about 14 months ago and lost 180! She went from 400+ to 225 or so. She had some problems...had to have the opening dialated 3 times (not fun...they drop a weight (think fishing sinker) down your throat and kinda "bang" it back open) She had a lot of vomitting (cuz the opening was too small and nothing could get into her stomach)...but now she seems just fine! I know at least 4 others and they've all had TONS of wt. loss, though I don't know if they had any complications. Good luck!

MamaFairal
08-31-2003, 04:26 PM
Hey
One of the accounts i answer for is "THE WISH CENTER"! Check out their web site at dot ORG(Thewishcenter) and it might be what you are looking for :)
They have centers located in IL,Az,Wa,FL and i ave heard great things about them... They accept most insurance except state aid or medicad..sorry. I dont work "FOR" them i just answer for thier seminar appointment line.
Good Luck

Legion600
08-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Are There Risks Associated With Gastric Bypass Surgery?

Yes. People who undergo this procedure are at risk for:

Pouch stretching (stomach gets bigger overtime, stretching back to its normal size before surgery).
Band erosion (the band closing off part of the stomach disintegrates).
Breakdown of staple lines (band and staples fall apart reversing procedure).
Leakage of stomach contents into the abdomen (this is dangerous because the acid can eat away other organs).
Nutritional deficiencies causing health problems
Gastric bypass operations also may cause "dumping syndrome," whereby stomach contents move too rapidly through the small intestine. Symptoms include nausea, weakness, sweating, faintness, and, occasionally, diarrhea after eating, as well as the inability to eat sweets without becoming extremely weak.

What Health Problems Can Nutritional Deficiencies Cause?

The limited absorption of vitamin B12 and iron can cause anemia. The lack of calcium absorption can cause osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease. People who undergo this procedure are required to take nutritional supplements that usually prevent these deficiencies.

The more extensive the bypass operation, the greater is the risk for complications and nutritional deficiencies. People who undergo extensive bypasses of the normal digestive process require not only close monitoring, but also life-long use of special foods and medications.

Info on the different surgeries

http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/118/29423.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

How Well It Works

A recent review of stomach stapling notes that only 38% of people undergoing the surgery lost their excess weight. Three years after the operation, 50% of these people maintained the weight loss, and after 10 years, 26% maintained the weight loss.

bears984
08-31-2003, 07:00 PM
here are some links that you can look at I have read some place that one in every 200 persons that have this will die even if the surgery is done right!

http://obesitysurgery-info.com/vbg_to_gastric_bypass.htm

http://gastricbypass.netfirms.com/doitagain.htm

http://gastricbypass.netfirms.com/danihartrny.htm

http://www.ahusbandsjourney.com/

http://gastricbypass.netfirms.com/rnycarson.htm

aneisu
08-31-2003, 07:42 PM
Does your husband's insurance cover it? Very few do - most consider it elective surgery even if you are morbidly obese.

Char
09-01-2003, 07:41 AM
:( Not to scare you, but, you asked, and this is fact... a lady from my hubby's plant had this done, she was like 41 years old, last year. Well, she died from this... she had it done, and, 3 weeks later was dead from infection. She wasn't that big either, maybe 300 pounds and fairly tall, maybe wore a size 22. She had it done in one of the big places too, I don't want to say where, but, it is a place where they do it fairly often. This surgery is a HUGE deal, it is major surgery and often has a lot of complications.

Shancopp
09-01-2003, 08:07 AM
You have to go classes before having this done and a shrink. My friend who had it told me the first thing they told them was 1 in 400 will die on the table.... Those are pretty scary odds...but the way she saw it, she was gonna die from being 400 lbs within 20 yrs (and she was only 25 when she had it). So, she was willing to take her chances. And I tell you, she looks great! She has some excess skin hanging on her arms and tummy (which ins. doesn't pay for removal of and it isn't cheap either)...but when she told me she bought a sz 18 bathing suit, she was sooo tickled!! I am very happy for her!

Kathy72864
09-01-2003, 08:28 AM
I am a Nurse that works in the ICU. I have taken care of a lot of these people after surgery. I am obese myself. I would not ever consider having this surgery due to the amount of complications I have seen. Now granted, I only see the really bad cases of Gastric Bypass. However, I have seen way too many of these. I work for a large hospital that has been doing these for years. This is a surgery that you must look deep inside yourself after you read all of the possible complications and decide if you still want to have the surgery. Good luck. I wish the best for you what ever decision you make.