PDA

View Full Version : Special Spam can in Hawaii

Mini
08-24-2003, 03:05 PM
AUSTIN, Minnesota (AP) -- It's a lunch meat luau: Spam goes Hawaiian.

Hawaiians, who eat more Spam per person than any other group in the United States, now have a Spam product of their very own.

Austin-based Hormel Foods, which makes the canned lunch meat, has created a special limited edition can available only in the Aloha State.

The Spam Hawaii Collector's Edition will be available in limited quantities later this month in Hawaiian grocery stores.

The can features hula dolls in grass skirts and a recipe for Spam musubi, which consists of a strip of fried Spam wrapped on the outside of a rice ball held in place by dried seaweed.

"Spam has been part of the Hawaiian culture for decades," said Nick Meyer, senior product manager for Hormel Foods.

"The brand is beloved on the islands, so we are pleased to offer this special collector's edition can to Hawaiian customers."

Spam a collector's item? Who'd a thunk it?
:D

3eagles
08-24-2003, 03:19 PM
LOL...my mom, dixidihard was telling me about that the other day and said I needed to find a friend in Hawaii and get her some!!! It came out in perfect timing because I just switched phone service and was told I could call anywhere in the US long distance anytime of the day and they kept mentioning Hawaii for some reason...lol Now, question is, do I have any friends here on bbs in Hawaii that would be willing to send me a couple of cans so I can surprise my mom ??? :) :) :)

1busymomma
08-24-2003, 04:08 PM
My dbf is a die hard spam fan.....*ick*

nanajoanie
08-24-2003, 04:13 PM
This has to be a joke - right? The only person in the whole world that I know eats Spam is our 21 year old grandaughter..............

GeThang
08-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Ewwwwwwww, my mom made Spam when I was little. Just one of those foods where you pinch your nose before you put it in your mouth.

cpbaby
08-24-2003, 04:49 PM
My husband eats it. I slice it thin and then fry it in a skillet witha little brown sugar sprinkled on top. He LUVS it.

He tells the kidlets its fried cat. :rolleyes:

Tadbit
08-24-2003, 04:55 PM
I was brought up on Spam. My mom would scramble it in our eggs, fry it and put it on sandwiches, make Spam meatloaf, and spam salad sandwiches, which tasted just like ham salad sandwiches. I liked it in the spam salad, and in the scrambles eggs, but that was about it. They should have made a special edition can for her too, since she used it so much. LOL :)

belcherpi
08-24-2003, 04:55 PM
I remember when we were in Hawaii, everyone loved spam. We would have dinners at church and I'll guarantee there was spam everytime. I tried the musubi and it was nasty. When there was talk of a shipping strike, everybody stocked up on spam and rice.

justme23
08-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by GeThang
Ewwwwwwww, my mom made Spam when I was little. Just one of those foods where you pinch your nose before you put it in your mouth.

Mine too... she'd fix it like cpbaby does and I remember liking it then... but then, she would also fry bologna to make sandwiches out of and she would dump salted peanuts in her dr pepper. She always would say 'it's a southern thing' but I've been in texas all my life and she's the only one I ever knew that fried bologna and put peanuts in dr pepper.

Willow
08-24-2003, 05:48 PM
I haven't eaten it in many many years but I used to like it fried with a bit of mustard on it.