PDA

View Full Version : Danny Glick, anyone?

justbeachy
08-19-2003, 12:24 PM
I heard somewhere that they are making Salem's Lot into a miniseries or a movie, (I can't remember which one) and since this is my favorite Steven King book, I hope that it does the book justice. To often, with his material, I find that the movies are really disappointing. What do you think? And which is your favorite book or movie by the (insert shudder here) Master of Horror. :eek: :D

Technologist
08-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Ummmmm....

'Salems Lot was a TV movie... It came out in 1979 and starred Lance Kerwin.... I remember, because I was reading the book while watching the movie.

justbeachy
08-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Bump, come on guys, am I the only one who has read Steven Kings books or seen his movies. Don't be shy.

Do I stink today? ;)

justbeachy
08-19-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Technologist
Ummmmm....

'Salems Lot was a TV movie... It came out in 1979 and starred Lance Kerwin.... I remember, because I was reading the book while watching the movie.

No, no, no I KNOW that. There is a new one coming out. I am always disappointed by his movies and mini-series. Remember IT? It started out so scary and then blah. I did love Stand by Me. I think it is one of the best so far. Most seem so hokey. Movies not the books. Maybe it's because I have to use my imagination with the books....

Technologist
08-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Okay, now I'm confused..... you know about the TV movie....

Are you asking if they are going to REMAKE it into a movie????

Technologist
08-19-2003, 01:13 PM
ANDREW McCARTHY, DIANE LADD AND BRUCE DAVISON ARE FIRST TO JOIN THE CAST OF THE STEPHEN KING’S NEW DRAMA SERIES, “STEPHEN KING’S KINGDOM HOSPITAL”

Two-Hour Premiere Airs Thursday, February 5, 2004, on ABC

Andrew McCarthy (“Monk,” “Pretty in Pink”), Academy Award nominee Diane Ladd (“Primary Colors,” “Rambling Rose”) and Academy Award nominee Bruce Davison (“X-Men II,” “Longtime Companion”) have been cast in the haunting new fifteen-hour drama series, “Stephen King’s Kingdom Hospital,” created directly for television by the award-winning, best-selling master of horror. The two-hour series premiere airs THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2004, (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET/PT), with subsequent one-hour episodes airing Thursday, 9:00-10:00 p.m., ET, on The ABC Television Network.

McCarthy will play the role of Dr. Hook, a brilliant surgeon who resides in the hospital’s basement and has a penchant for collecting medical equipment. Ladd will play Mrs. Druse, a psychic hypochondriac whose strong connection to the spirit world repeatedly draws her to the emergency room of Kingdom Hospital. Davison will play Dr. Stegman (“Steg”), whose absent bedside manner and arrogance are paralleled only by his ineptitude as a physician.

Using Lars Von Trier’s Danish miniseries “Riget” (a.k.a. “The Kingdom”) as a point of inspiration, Stephen King gives this series a unique, darkly comedic and menacing American touch. King himself describes it as “ER” crossed with “The Shining.”

Production will begin (began!!!) August 11 on location in Vancouver, British Columbia.

“Kingdom” is a hospital the bizarre population of which includes a nearly blind security guard, a nurse who regularly faints at the sight of blood and a paraplegic artist whose recovery is a step beyond miraculous. But when patients and staff hear the tortured voice of a little girl crying through the halls, they are dismissive of any suggestion of mysticism or unseen powers... at their own peril.

“Stephen King’s Kingdom Hospital” will be executive-produced by Stephen King and Mark Carliner (Emmy Award-winning producer of “Stalin,” Golden Globe and Peabody Award-winning producer of “George Wallace”) and directed by Craig Baxley (“Stephen King’s Rose Red”). Richard Dooling provides technical support. “Stephen King’s Kingdom Hospital” will be produced by Sony Pictures in association with Touchstone Television.

justbeachy
08-19-2003, 01:15 PM
No, I KNOW they are remaking it. I just can't remember whether it will be on television or at the movie theatre. I think it is coming out next year.

I was just curious whether or not anyone thought it might actually be any good. I feel that most of his books made into movies start out really well and then lose something halfway through. I'm trying to find out if anyone else had heard anything about it, such as who is in it etc.

justbeachy
08-19-2003, 01:15 PM
t/y ;) but I think Salem's Lot will be starring Rob Lowe. I just can't remember where I read it. Maybe it was People Magazine. I'll find it eventually.

Technologist
08-19-2003, 01:17 PM
Bag of Bones
The Movie
Film rights for Bag of Bones have been optioned. MGM will be distributing this as a theater release. Bruce Willis is the Producer.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Movie
Release TBD

The Mist
Movie
TBD

I've heard absolutely nothing about them remaking 'Salem's Lot..... and I pretty much keep up on these things.... Sorry

justbeachy
08-19-2003, 01:23 PM
Psst, Techie....

Lowe stars in "Salems Lot" remake

A remake of Stephen King's "Salems Lot" will be filmed in Melbourne, Australia in April, says The Hollywood Reporter. Rob Lowe will star in the four-hour program which will be co-produced by TNT and Warner Bros. Television.

This is what I was talking about. ;)

I keep up with these things, too. :D

Technologist
08-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Rob Lowe.... isn't he gonna be busy helping AHnold become Cali's governor?????

BTW, what is your source for this info????

justbeachy
08-19-2003, 01:28 PM
www.moviehole.net/news.php?newsid=1100

This is where I found it just now, not where I originally read it. The movie will also star Donald Sutherland. :D

shelhop
08-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Stephen King is the master! I agree that the movies seldom do the books justice. Needful things was an awesome book...but the movie kind of just dragged on. Same with Pet Semetary, Christine, and Cujo.
Although I find it hard to pick a favorite, one of my favorite's was Gerald's Game. That was really interesting. And Delores Claiborne. And Thinner. Forget it. There's no way I can pick a favorite. I like them all. What about The Green Mile? I thought that was a pretty good movie, but still not as good as the book.
Right now I am reading Everything's Eventual (14 Dark Tales). There is seldom a day goes by when I don't have a Stephen King masterpiece in my hands.

Technologist
08-19-2003, 01:32 PM
One Better..... Dated Friday Jun 13, 2003

A whole "Lot" of Aussies

If you want to do some star spotting right about now there’s only one city in the world worth checking out at the moment and that’s Melbourne. Ok, so it’s either Anaheim or Toronto – but apart from the usual soap stars and red-carpet hanger-on’s, there’s actually a slightly higher class of celebrity in town. For a couple of months now, the U.S Telemovie of “Salem’s Lot” has been filming down under, with Rob Lowe, Donald Sutherland, James Cromwell and Samantha Mathis here filming. But what about the huge quantity of Aussie actors who’re making up the core of the ensemble? Haven’t heard much about them have you?

Ok, so we’ve heard Rebecca Gibney’s got a plum role in the series, and we’ve heard that Robert Grubb [Pig Killer in “Mad Max 3”] is also in there – but whom else? Do you have a day?

According to a report published yesterday in The Age, there’s a slew of Aussie actors filling the supports. But it wasn’t always meant to be that way, with American actors originally thought to be taken some of these roles, in addition to the leads.

Tom McSweeney of Maura Fay Casting has rounded up a ‘who’s who’ for the vampire workover, including Julia Blake, Martin Vaughan, Chris Haywood, Tara Morice, Danielle Carter, Nicholas Bell, Christopher Morris [Apparently not my brother], Joe Petruzzi, Brendan Cowell, Todd MacDonald, Penny McNamee, Bree Desborough, and Noel O’Neill.

Of that crowd, there are a few standouts. Morice is best known – something our American readers will know her from too – for her role in Bazz Luhrmann’s “Strictly Ballroom” [1992], MacDonald is a customary TV phizog having appeared in such series as “Neighbours” and “The Secret Life of Us”, Haywood is one of Australia’s most imperative actors having appeared in such films as “Shine” and “Muriel’s Wedding”, and Desborough currently appears on 7’s series “Always Greener”.

Link:

http://www.moviehole.net/news.php?newsid=1778

justbeachy
08-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by shelhop
Stephen King is the master! I agree that the movies seldom do the books justice. Needful things was an awesome book...but the movie kind of just dragged on. Same with Pet Semetary, Christine, and Cujo.
Although I find it hard to pick a favorite, one of my favorite's was Gerald's Game. That was really interesting. And Delores Claiborne. And Thinner. Forget it. There's no way I can pick a favorite. I like them all. What about The Green Mile? I thought that was a pretty good movie, but still not as good as the book.
Right now I am reading Everything's Eventual (14 Dark Tales). There is seldom a day goes by when I don't have a Stephen King masterpiece in my hands.

Oooh, you are right, I loved The Green Mile and I liked The Stand too, but Salem's Lot is my all time favorite. I really hope it turns out well.... btw I loved Thinner the book but not the movie and what was the one done in the 80's where they made all of the short stories into a movie?

Technologist
08-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by justbeachy
what was the one done in the 80's where they made all of the short stories into a movie?

Cat's Eye - 1985

justbeachy
08-19-2003, 02:09 PM
Yes, thank you. Defintely NOT one of my favorites. It seems he puts so much thought and description into his novels and it gets lost in the visual translation. Just my opinion, at any rate I am really excited to see the new Salem's Lot. ;)

Wimzik
08-19-2003, 02:12 PM
I love Stephen King! I agree his books are better than the movies. I did like Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile, Delores Claiborne was good, I also liked Maximum Overdrive(I love AC/DC:D). I haven't heard about a new Salems Lot movie though.

justbeachy
08-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Yeppers, and I can't wait. Wasn't Donald Sutherland in another Stephen King movie, too. Needful Things, I think.

justbeachy
08-20-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Fireball
I believed you.
:D

MY fav King movies are:
1)Shawshank Redemption,
2)The Stand,
3)The Green Mile.

Thank you! ;) It gets frustrating sometimes because I read everything I can get my hands on and then I can't remember where I read something. I forgot about Shawshank Redemption, that was a great movie. My favorites are the same as yours in no particular order but I also have to include Stand by Me. :D

redrig
08-20-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by justbeachy
t/y ;) but I think Salem's Lot will be starring Rob Lowe. I just can't remember where I read it. Maybe it was People Magazine. I'll find it eventually.

It was in the People magazine I got this past Saturday thanks to Hauser:D

Should be good, and Lowe is always eye candy! My favorite is The Stand, but I like his short story collections, Four Seasons, Night Shift and I think the other ones are Dreamscapes and Nightmares and Twelve Til Midnight.