PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Mom Walks Into Lake, Killing Self, Girl

Lisa03
08-18-2003, 06:17 PM
AKRON, Ohio -- A 32-year-old Akron woman reportedly despondent over financial and other personal problems walked into a lake with her kids in tow Sunday night -- drowning herself and a 4-year-old girl.

Her 8-year-old son was able to swim away. The boy is listed in fair condition at a hospital.

Divers pulled Kennetta Lockhart's body from the lake Sunday night. With nearly a dozen family members watching from the beach early Monday, divers recovered 4-year-old Kayla Langdon's body, said Lt. Sylvia Trundle.

"It was really something to see her little body," Trundle said. "The family was very, very loving and concerned."

Trundle said the bodies were found in an area of the 115-acre lake that was 8 to 10 feet deep.

"Preliminary information indicates that she might have been despondent over some personal and financial problems," said Akron police Capt. Daniel Zampelli.

Police hoped to interview the boy as soon as he was able, Trundle said.

"We'll be meeting with family. Everyone is pretty much in shock right now," she said. "Even the 8-year-old, he was sedated because of his poor emotional condition."

The boy reportedly fought his mother off. Officials said he was coughing and vomiting when found inside his mother's Jeep Cherokee, WEWS-TV in Cleveland, Ohio, reported.

WEWS reported that Lockhart told family members that she was thinking about driving her Jeep into the lake. She was upset over the Jeep's payments.

Quaker_Parrots
08-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Sad, if only her family would have listened, maybe the little girls life could have been spared :(

MistyWolf
08-18-2003, 06:38 PM
I just read about this when I was online earlier and find this very very upsetting. I don't understand how someone can be driven to that point .. I mean it seems there is always help out there .. it may be hard but when you keep knocking on the right doors you'll find it. I feel much sorry for her family as well as her children .. the one that died and the one that lived.

Tasha405
08-18-2003, 06:51 PM
:(:(:(

GeThang
08-18-2003, 08:15 PM
:(

Tracy'sMom
08-19-2003, 09:50 AM
:( :(

KitaKat
08-19-2003, 11:31 AM
:(

NINK
08-19-2003, 11:38 AM
the family did try to help, her mother kept the kids all the time to try and keep them away from her, and she called her sister right before she did it and said something about driving her car in to the river and than she hung up, so the sister called 911 and she tried to get help and than the whole family went to her house but they were all ready gone, the police went to all the closest water sources but it was too late, they found her jeep still running with all the doors open, by this time her and the 4 year old little girl were dead, the boy was in the jeep, he had managed to get away from her, but he had swallowed a lot of water and just ran to the jeep to get away and he was in there caughing and throwing up water when the cops came, the cops ran to the water and they immediatly tried doing cpr on the mother, the girls couldn't be found but the mother was floating. they couldn't save the mom and later found the girl's body. all this info came from the news, i live in ohio

schsa
08-19-2003, 12:36 PM
You cannot begin to imagine the emotional pain and feeling of helplessness that a person has to be at to do this sort of thing. It's sad that her family did not make the effort to get her some medical help. I am sure that at the time she felt that this was the only way out of her problems. To make this sort of decision because you are overwhelmed with life is not easy. She probably didn't feel that she had any other choice. Her pain is gone but her family will never completely recover from this.