PDA

View Full Version : My old dog (again)

NoFoolPrice
08-17-2003, 02:19 AM
Ok, I know I go on about my old dog a lot, but really, he is just the sweetest old man. Woke up at 3:00 am with his big old hairy face in mine, he had to go out to go potty so he grabbed my shoulders with his paws and was shaking me to wake up. 100# of red fur. He's such a good guy, but I know I'm going to lose him soon. He's 13, I got him when he was a pup from a homeless guy outside a liquor store. The arthritis is bothering him, having trouble getting up off the floor, so I bought him a really nice doggie bed yesterday. The problem is that he thinks it's furniture and he is not allowed on the furniture, so his bed is off limits. It breaks my heart that he has gone deaf and his eyes are all cloudy. He has been so good to my family, our protector, and has taken care of us for so many years, now it is my turn to take care of him. He won't leave my side for anything, how on earth did I deserve such love and dedication? I got really lucky when he found me and I'm going to fall apart when I lose him.

blueeyes18
08-17-2003, 02:39 AM
Awww he is really lucky to have someone like you :(

Hollie1974
08-17-2003, 05:40 AM
Big hugs to you and your dog. It's so hard watching them get older. I think pets are the only ones who truly show the meaning of unconditional love.

tiffany21
08-17-2003, 06:45 AM
oh sweetie. hugs to you and your baby also. I know how you feel my cat is 16 east old. and he is haveing problems also.

NoFoolPrice
08-17-2003, 07:05 AM
I lost my kitty at age 19 a year ago July. You'd think I'd be over her by now, but nooooo...I miss my old lady horribly, for 19 years she slept on my shoulder. Her last year I moved her dishes and cat box into my bedroom to make it easier for her, now Ciao's dishes have been moved into the bedroom. He's showing the same signs she did, mostly just having to have me right by his side and sleeping constantly. It's so sweet but so sad, I've been trying to talk myself into another kitty for a year, good Lord, I can't imagine trying to replace this gorgeous, smart, faithful and funny old dog. It's part of life I know, but seeing your pets through old age and death is a tough one. He knows it too, I can tell he knows he is leaving me soon and he's sad about it. Animals are so faithful and smart! I guess I am trying to prepare myself in advance, but I know that won't really help. It's morbid really, but he's my best buddy and this is going to be very difficult. Don't think I'm not enjoying him while I have him, he is precious and I do so appreciate such a good friend, I'm just sad that he is so old all of a sudden.

nanajoanie
08-17-2003, 08:13 AM
Our Panda is 11 years old and her hips are failing her. Her appetite isn't much anymore. She is having bathroom accidents in the house and then has a guilty look. Poor thing, she can't help it. She sleeps more. It's sad watching the faithful and loyal "child" go downhill. We truly hope that when her time comes, she will just fall asleep and not wake up. We don't think we could "put her down". Geesh this is sad talk for Sunday (or any day). Most of us pet owners feel we gave birth to these animals that behave better than many human children.

GeThang
08-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Awwww,Sweetie, He does seem like he is a great guy. Hugs to you and the little man.