PDA

View Full Version : I hope this is the right place to type this

free_honey
08-15-2003, 06:59 PM
I need some help, please. My nephew has been working for two guys from India. They wouldn't even let him see his time card - they said they were filling it out for him. He did keep track, though. Anyway - he worked 7 hours last pay period and 12 this pay period, then he got tired of being yelled at and walked out in the middle of a shift. He was supposed to get the 7 hours pay this Sunday, but now the guy won't pay him at all because he didn't give a weeks notice. plus - he never had a schedule - they would tell him when he left what time to be there the next day and would tell him when he could leave when he got there. He was only making 5.15 an hour.My question is - where can I find a downloadable copy of the United Statesfair wage act or something like it for him to sort of "threaten" these guys with? Any ideas?

julie_angel
08-15-2003, 07:12 PM
I did a search and found this, there are alot of sites here about the fair wage act. Sorry I have no idea what else will help, if you think of anything I will try to find it for you.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=United+States+fair+wage+act+&sp=1&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-top

Widgetsx3
08-15-2003, 07:17 PM
United States department of Labor: http://www.dol.gov/

jaybird
08-15-2003, 07:19 PM
Good luck with this one. I've got a feeling your nephew may never see the pay. It would be in his best interest if his parent or another adult could intervene for him. Obviously these 2 men feel they are just dealing with a kid. I don't know what sort of legal backing he will have on this, or what 'regulations' he can use to back himself, but possibly just a phone call (or better yet, a VISIT) from a stern, no-nonsense adult could convince these men to fork over the 19 hurs of pay. IF this was a chain retail store such as McDonald's or 7-11 or Blockbuster etc., I would suggest going straight to the regional manager. If this was just your nephew working "on the side" for two men, it will be more difficult to collect what is due him. Good luck with this one. I still think his best bet is to have an adult (parent) show these kind gentlemen the facts of life in America. You pay for what you get.

free_honey
08-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks. My sister is going with him to see these guys, but she wanted some offical looking papers to wave around. You guys are great - I would never have been able to find this stuff.

janelle
08-15-2003, 11:01 PM
They should be reported. Sounds like they are running a sweat shop. How many others have they treated this way? This may be common in India but not here guys.