PDA

View Full Version : How many televisions

Kelsey1224
08-14-2003, 03:01 PM
do you have in your home?

This is a survey at Startsampling and I realized that we have SIX!!!

Is that pitiful or what? We have one in each bedroom, the family room, and the computer loft.

I'm amazed I don't have one in the bathroom.

Dolly<3
08-14-2003, 03:10 PM
I have 2: living room, bedroom. I can't think of where another one is needed... but I like the idea of one in the bathroom! :D

kaylaandbrittanysmom
08-14-2003, 03:12 PM
We have 4.One in living room,one in my bedroom,one in our daughters' room,and one in the van(hooked up to a vcr to keeps the kids occupied while running errands).

I do not know what I would do if any of them went out.

Princess4J
08-14-2003, 03:13 PM

1- living room
1- our bedroom
1- in the closet. lol cause we got a bigger one for the living room.
one day we will put it in the kids room.

Ladytiger
08-14-2003, 03:25 PM
2 with no reception LOL
One is in DD's room, the other downstairs

Lora_1994
08-14-2003, 03:29 PM
3 well 4

1 in the living room, 1 in our bedroom, 1 im my oldest son's room and the other is up at my moms temporarily, but will be in my middle son's room when we get it back.

obxbum
08-14-2003, 03:30 PM
We have 5:

-our bedroom
-kids playroom
-kitchen
-family room
-basement (used to have it in the garage before we started refinishing the basement)

ImaGApeach
08-14-2003, 03:36 PM
I have 5
1 in living room(big screen my dh favorite toy lol)
1 in my bedroom
and my 3 daughters have one in each of their bedrooms!

suziebee20
08-14-2003, 03:36 PM
We have 6 too, one in each bedroom, then the living room, and there's even one in our garage! My grandpa wants one in the kitchen too :rolleyes:

Tadbit
08-14-2003, 03:47 PM
We have 4, one in livingroom, 1 in dd bedroom, and two in the basement, but I have lost count on how many computers we have. And that is sad since my Dd and I each have one and the rest belong to Dh.:rolleyes: We have more computers than TVs, that I do know.

Xica
08-14-2003, 04:15 PM
One in the living room. I don't think they're necessary in other rooms for just two people.

Tracy'sMom
08-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Just one but between the computers and computer parts we dont have room for any more.

Char
08-14-2003, 04:20 PM
;) 3 here. 2 people, 2 bedrooms. One (27") in the living room, one (19") in the bedroom, and, a 13" new tv/vcr combo in the spare bedroom, we have an outside security camera hooked up to it, guests can watch movies (we own hundreds), or, they can watch the outside of the house...lol
Digital cable to the other two TV's.

BigLyd1
08-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Three

One in the bedroom, one in the family room, and one in the extra bedroom which is the office and computer room.

nanajoanie
08-14-2003, 04:44 PM
We have one - it's h*ll to be poor. But the TV works great since it was a Christmas gift from BIL:)

wolfie28311
08-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Five for me....:)

3 in bedrooms
1 in family room
1 in kitchen(couldn't stand to be without):)

aerogirl
08-14-2003, 05:15 PM
I have TWO...

BUT...

BOTH of them are in the LIVING ROOM:eek:

cable is hooked up to both of them too:D

Unicornmom77
08-14-2003, 05:19 PM
We have 3 One in my mommas room
One in my bedroom
One in the living room
I would like to have 6 all the ones we have and one in the 2girls' room, one in my sons room, and one in the kitchen...maybe then I would cook more often LOL!!

flowerfairy
08-14-2003, 05:20 PM
We have 5 lol

1 kitchen
1 sons room
1 daughters room
1 our bedroom
1 living room

And we have an xbox, ps2 and game cube lol

ocvachick
08-14-2003, 05:35 PM
We have 4....

3 bedrooms all have tv's

theres one in the living room also

twinkiesmom
08-14-2003, 06:19 PM

Livingroom
our bedroom
kids playroom
dh's office in basement
1 that belongs in the camper

kelly12569
08-14-2003, 06:29 PM
(4)

1 in the living room
1 in my daughters room
1 in our sons' room
1 in our room

we used to have one in the kitchen but it took a crapper on us and back when we lived in our modular we had one in our bathroom and I totally miss it cuz we used to just soak in the garden tub and watch tv after the kiddies went to bed

cinnamon-butter
08-14-2003, 06:48 PM
I have two,1 in the living room and 1 in my bedroom.

ckerr4
08-14-2003, 07:20 PM
1 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom (but that one is not hooked up to cable, and so gets no reception - we use it for the game systems)

GeThang
08-14-2003, 08:23 PM
We have 2. Bedroom and living room :) DH wants to put one in the kitchen :), so maybe 3 T.Vs here soon.

spongebob
08-14-2003, 09:10 PM
we have six.. bedroom the kids each have one.. and one in the dinning room

Jolie Rouge
08-14-2003, 09:24 PM
We have 4 -- A 19' in the den; a 27' inch console in the living room; a 13' b/w in our bedroom which we rarely watch (Hubby likes it because it is also a am/fm radio) and a 5' inch in the kitchen that I watch/listen to programs while I am cooking or cleaning up.

Lori63
08-15-2003, 03:19 AM
We have one. Our house is big-we've lived here just under a year-and the kids are badgering us for another TV-so we may end up putting one in the play room (maybe a Christmas present?)

ShamrocGal
08-15-2003, 04:39 AM
3 for me
livingroom, bedroom and spare bedroom

MamaFairal
08-15-2003, 06:29 AM
We only have one also and also one computer...no need to more than that to me. (JMO)
We have family time every night when we fight over the remote....lol

Kelsey1224
08-15-2003, 07:14 AM
Okay...I don't feel so badly now. We just moved to this house and got a new 36" for the family room and a new 27" for our bedroom. Our son took the old 27" for his room. Then we put the old TV's from our bedrooms into the two other bedrooms. (One of those rooms is my grandson's room when he spends the night and the other is the guest room.)

Oh...and then there is the TV in the computer loft. But one section of the left is set up for my crafts.

We used to have a TV in the kitchen...but we don't need it now as the kitchen/family room are right next to each other.

I do want to make it clear that the TV's in the extra rooms are almost never used. They are just there for when we have guests.

It still is pretty pathetic though...LOL!

Jolie Rouge
08-15-2003, 07:30 AM
Posted by Fireball :

*1*
by choice, not economics.

it is sad to see how many TVs some households have...
that money and time could be spent so much better elsewhere
No wonder kids are so messed up.

That seems a tad harsh ...

We have four - one that is rarely used at all and one that is used soley so I can listen to the news with out a). subjecting the kids to alot of negativity (sad that I have to explain to my six-year-old what a "Cereal Killer" is) and b) so that I CAN hear the news because the TV in the den would have to BLARING for me to hear over the kids racket ( hence refering back to point a.) We do not have cable ( by choice - something that gets me weird looks all the time ) and the kids are limited to three PBS programs a day. They are not allowed to watch "R" rated movies or even some network programming -- for instance; if I am watching CSI in the living room, they are watching a vid in the den because I don't thinkg that it is appropriate for them to watch. We have two computers - one set up in my office and one in the livingroom set up for the kids. Their computer has no internet access and almost all the games are educational. Even so, they have to "earn" computer time.

Just because we own several pieces of equipment does not mean they are not monitored or used excessively.

miccit
08-15-2003, 07:34 AM
We have five televisions. Only 2 of them really get used though- the one in my bedroom and the one in the living room.

Taterbo
08-15-2003, 08:00 AM
One in the family room. One in my bedroom. One in the guest room and one in the closet. Daughter got a new one when she bought her last car, so I took the old one to store as a spare.

obxbum
08-15-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Fireball
*1*
by choice, not economics.

it is sad to see how many TVs some households have...
that money and time could be spent so much better elsewhere
No wonder kids are so messed up.

Sounds not only harsh, but judgemental.. sorry but what people do with their time and money is their choice.. Not that I feel I need to explain myself, but 4 of our 5 tvs are hand-me-downs and/or over 10 years old.

And Jolie said basically the same thing that I would have said.. my kids viewing and computer time is monitored.

Kelsey1224
08-15-2003, 08:34 AM
I just heard on the radio that childhood obesity is worse than ever before and that's because kids watch TV and play videos instead of going outside and playing.
It is sad.

Yes, I think having 6 TVs tells a lot about a family's priorities.
Believe me, with money tight as it is, no one buys 6 TVs if they don't intend to use them. I wouldn't even accept a hand-me-down if I didn't intend to use it. Why clutter up my house with junk I don't use and poisens my kids' minds?

No one acquires things they don't want: we don't have the money, space, or time for that. That's a deliberate choice and, Yes, I say, a poor example if children are in the household.

And no doubt it has affected kid's violence.

I do agree that having 6 TV's is excessive consumerism. However...several of them are old small TV's which still work. Rather than throw them away, we are choosing to put them in guest rooms.

I think your statements are rather harsh and extremely judgemental. My two children are grown and are outstanding citizens. And while I can't say they didn't cause any trouble growing up, it was nothing major...just typical kid stuff.

My daughter has been married eight years, with one three-year old. She teaches music part-time to 3rd through 4th graders at a private school. Her husband is also a teacher. They own their own home, pay their bills on time and are active in the community.

My son is finishing school shortly and will be a certified recording engineer. He plays multiple instruments, as well as teaches them. And while he is in a rock band which plays local clubs, he is also the choir director for his church and helps lead worship on Sunday mornings.

Neither one of my "children" did drugs, drank, or was promiscuous.

While my children were growing up, television viewing was monitored very closely. In fact, my son wasn't allowed to watch MTV until he was 16 years old. If I found out that a CD he was listening to was not age appropriate in MY opinion...it was thrown away.

Also...and while I definitely have a weight problem...neither one of my children do. My son is downright thin!

So I think your generalizations are just that...generalizations.

Oh...and as far as money being tight. Praise God that isn't the case for our family. God has blessed us abundantly and both my hubby and I make excellent money and live quite well. Plus, we are both excellent money managers. And...we tithe 10% as well, so we are contributing a portion of our blessings to those not as fortunate.

I think our priorities are just fine!

Technologist
08-15-2003, 08:39 AM
I just heard on the radio that childhood obesity is worse than ever before and that's because kids watch TV and play videos instead of going outside and playing.
It is sad.

Believe me, with money tight as it is, no one buys 6 TVs if they don't intend to use them. I wouldn't even accept a hand-me-down if I didn't intend to use it. Why clutter up my house with junk I don't use and poisens my kids' minds?

No one acquires things they don't want: we don't have the money, space, or time for that. That's a deliberate choice and, Yes, I say, a poor example if children are in the household.

I haven't exercised for years: I sit in front of the TV all night, and I spend HOURS a day commuting to work.... and I'm not obese. Nor is my wife (far from it)....

I have 5 TVs, 3 computers (1 that can receive TV stations),..... and no kids! And I spend my time and money on WHATEVER I want (not necessarily what I need).

...and as far as blaming TV for violence....... bull! We grew up watching the Road Runner and Wiley Coyote..... but we don't run around dropping anvils on people's heads!

Kelsey1224
08-15-2003, 08:45 AM
I guess what I'm wondering is why a silly little thread surveying people about the number of TV's in their house became an opportunity to condemn other posters. When I started the thread I was laughing at myself when I realized that we had so many. I didn't realize that it would become an opportunity for others to pass judgement on my life!

Technologist
08-15-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Kelsey1224
I didn't realize that it would become an opportunity for others to pass judgement on my life!

I guess some people need to make comments to faceless strangers, rather than yell at the TV!

:rolleyes:

Mijme
08-15-2003, 08:57 AM
one in living room, one in family room, one in kitchen, one in spare bedroom, one in master bedroom and one in 5th wheel sitting in the driveway. Why?? Nothing to watch anyway.:confused: :confused:

dcut4
08-15-2003, 08:57 AM
I win...7 tv's here!!!!

one 52" in front room
one in den
one in each of the 3 bedrooms
teeny tiny one in kitchen
and one small black and white in hubby's workshop in basement.

We really don't watch tv that much but when my mom died we took her 3 and we never get to go out with all the kids and no sitter close so we splurged on a big screen so we could at least pretend we had a date night at the movies once in a while.
My kids are all thin(one is under weight) and we control what they watch and play. The one in school is in the gifted program and is very sensitive to others.

I one the other hand am a lazy fat slob and you will have to exscuse me now while I go refill my bowl of cheeto's and change the channel to see who Jerry Springer has on.
:D

Jolie Rouge
08-15-2003, 10:45 AM
We grew up watching the Road Runner and Wiley Coyote..... but we don't run around dropping anvils on people's heads!

{{SNORT}} --- okay - now I have coffee all over my screen !

Technologist
08-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Jolie Rouge
{{SNORT}} --- okay - now I have coffee all over my screen !

I made Jolie SNORT!!!!

Reading your reply almost made me snort too.....

suziebee20
08-15-2003, 11:14 AM
It is sad.

My family has very good priorities :(. Just because we have 6 televisions doesn't mean we all sit on our "obese" butts and eat twinkies in front of the tube all day. We've had most of the televisions in our house for quite a while. I have one in my bedroom that sucks bit time, it's super old, plus I'm never in my room. My sister has an old one in her room too that she never uses. Mom uses hers while she knits, watches TV, whatever, Grandpa uses his to watch CNN all day long (Bleh), The one in the family room is what I use to fall alseep because I'm afraid of the dark (lol, don't rub it in) The garage TV isn't used, and we just bought it last year. We purchased it for my room but I don't sleep in there so it went in the garage and sometimes when we had friends come out and play we would use it to watch movies.

I think your being a bit harsh when you insult peoples priorities. That is just my opinion though. I'm not violent, and I watch TV. I don't see it as a poor example at all as long as you know what people are watching when the TV is on... now when my little sis has her friends come over and they watch South Park, that's a different story.

And as for the "No one aquires things they don't want". Sad to say, my family does... my grandpa likes to spend money, no idea why, but he does. In the last year, he's bought 3 fancy blenders, 2 food processors that we never use, and a bunch of other stuff that does sit and clutter our house... yet when our oven has been broken for as long as I can remember of the 17 years of my life, he's to cheap to get a new one :rolleyes:. I don't think it's the TVs in our house that clutter, it's the other stuff!

Willow
08-15-2003, 11:53 AM
One in the living room and one in the bedroom.

Willow
08-15-2003, 11:55 AM
It is sad.

Why do you always have to have that kind of an attitude when posting?

miccit
08-15-2003, 12:03 PM
We have 5 tvs. But like I said only 2 get used. One of the tv's is for the car (we use it for long trips along with it's matching vcr). The other 2 sit in a closet because DH is a packrat and won't give them up! They work, we just don't have room for them and DH gets rid of nothing. We have Sergio Valente jeans he wore with his cut off armed sweatshirts in 7th grade in our closet-- he won't part with them (he may actually fit into them again someday and they may even be cool again:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ).

I have my cable boxes set up so only certain channels can be watched unless you know the code. I am usually with my children while they watch their programs. Not always as I do have a house to run.

I am also a Peer Literacy Advocate and I go out to schools and teach parents about media literacy and how media (tv, video, video games, magazines, and newspapers etc) affect children. And also how media violence affects children. It is recommended that children not partake of tv, video games, movies, etc. more than 2 hours a day. BUT, it is a recommendation! There has been much research that shows that proper television usage can promote literacy. So, it is not all bad.

MelanieAnn
08-15-2003, 12:21 PM
We have one 32 inch TV in our living room. We just finished paying it off, actually. :D

Sweetberries
08-15-2003, 05:07 PM
we have 2 one in the living room and mine is in the bedroom :):D

LadyBones
08-15-2003, 07:13 PM
We have 4 soon to be 5...lol
one in the living room
one in my bedroom (it's my 2 youngest son's)
one in my oldest son's bedroom
and one in my Hubbys semi-truck

I need to give my youngest son's back thier TV so i can buy my own for my bedroom...lol

captorquewrench
08-15-2003, 07:18 PM
we have 2 TVs

but 3 computers.

NO we didnt spend a lot of money on the computers, hubby has built one for each of the kids room mostly from stuff that the IT dept pitches. the kids hardly use them tho, but we are connected by a LAN.

Missysmom
08-15-2003, 08:31 PM
If you count the TV's in our closets and garage we probably have about 10. also 8 computers.. We have two Households full of furniture..we also have six vehicles.. My sons our both grown and they take very good care of their Mama! And They are not OBESE...Oh, and we also have 3 dogs!!!:D

shawmonica
08-18-2003, 09:32 AM
We have 8 TV's total
1-master bedroom
1-den
1-game room
1-husband's office
1-daughter's room
1-son's room
1-other son's room
1-kitchen

We also have a total of 5 computers and 4 laptops. My children are not fat and my 5th grader is an honor roll student. My kindergarten and 1st graders both read on an excelerated level and are extremely intelligent. Each of our children have computers in their own rooms and my oldest two have access to the internet. My husband and I don't monitor them, but request that they be honest with us and if they are curious to ask us. Which, of course, our 5th grader is curious and has asked us stuff. We have always taught our children to be honest and have never had a bit of problems with them. And TV does not turn your children into couch potatoes. All three of ours are active in sports, scouts, church. I think sometimes if you show your children respect then you will get respect back from them. In our family nothing is more important than family. Everynight we sit down and eat dinner as a family not matter what. Every weekend is spent together doing family activities. My husband was nice enough ten years ago to let me stay home with the kids and raise them and I have never regretted quitting work. Sorry, about going on and on ....new to the board and just letting everyone know a little about me! Thanks! :)

MommyG3
08-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Hmm, we have 1 tv and no computer (at home). Our tv is 19" and after 3 years, is now hooked up to cable with more than 6 channels. I do want another tv but only because our picture tube shows too much red (believe tube is about to go out). I, however, would like to not have a television at all. ;)