PDA

View Full Version : Ham and beans, fried green tomatoes??????

eeigh33
08-13-2003, 04:37 PM
I need recipes for these please. Anyone? I have two ham bones in the freezer as we have smoked a couple of hams, but have no idea how to make ham and beans.

Also, I got a few green tomatoes from a guy at work and need a recipe for those please!

TIA

schsa
08-13-2003, 05:02 PM
When I fry green tomatoes I just drag them through some corn meal and fry them in oil in a skillet. Just until the corn meal goes to a golden color.

I love fried green tomatoes.

eeigh33
08-13-2003, 05:06 PM
do you make a dipping sauce or anything? what do they taste like anyways? are they nice and tart?

Quaker_Parrots
08-13-2003, 05:12 PM
I use flour that I have seasoned for the tomatoes(and yes they are kinda tart)No dipping sauce, kinda like okra, or fried squash)

Beans and ham, if you use dry great northerns, sort them, wash them, soak them over night(they usually have instructions on the pack)drain & put them in the crock pot the next day with the ham and about 6-8 cups of water(I usually don't add salt til the end when I have tasted them you just cook them till they are real soft, I usually mash a few to make the juice thicker. if they start turning color, you are beginning to cook them too long.

eeigh33
08-13-2003, 05:14 PM
yummy...they both sound really good. i cannot wait to give both dishes a try. i remember my mom making beans/ham/cornbread as a kid, and i always hated it! lol..just because i thought it was boring i guess. but, it sounds really good right now.

Tasha405
08-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Oh gosh this sounds soooooo good! LOL Will ya send me some when you get it all done? lol

eeigh33
08-13-2003, 07:33 PM
no prob..if mine turn out..i'll send some your way! hehee...

jaybird
08-13-2003, 08:10 PM
I just slice the maters, dip them in flour, then in beaten egg, then back in flour and fry in oil. Ham and beans you can't mess up. Rinse your beans, soak them overnight (covered by 2" of water) In the morning, throw in a hambone or some hamhocks, an end of a piece of ham, whatever. I chop up a little celery and onion, sometimes just a little carrot, add the celery leaves for flavor, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook on low til beans are tender. IF it's not thick enough, either add a little instant mashed potatoes or mash a few of the beans against the side of the pot. Don't forget the cornbread!

texasgander
08-13-2003, 08:13 PM
ok, I'm strange....I like ketchup with my fried green tomatoes!!!!

jaybird
08-13-2003, 08:24 PM
My husband has to have ketchup on his ham and beans. I put brown vinegar on mine. :D Neither of my kids will touch it. Was grounds for running away from home when they were a kid, that and meatloaf.

eeigh33
08-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Raven...parasean cheese sounds awesome!
Birdy...thanks, I was wondering if I should add some celery, carrot, maybe some onion? I was also wondering about the soaking overnight thing....OH, do I use the same water I soaked them in? Or, do I toss that out and add more?

All of you have been great! thanks...

cathych
08-13-2003, 08:25 PM
I am a tried & true southern gal, & was raised on fried tomatoes & beans. The best thing to fry green tomatoes in is jiffy cornbread mix. Yes, thats right, jiffy cornbread mix. It has the right combo of cornmeal/flour/sugar that really makes anything fried tastes great, okra, squash, you name it. They are really best fried up in some bacon fat, but if you are health conscious, use canola oil instead! You could even trim off some of the ham fat off the ham bones & use it for grease.

To make beans, if you have a crock pot, by all means, use it. Put them on to cook the night before on low, but after they have some to a simmer on high. Now let them cook on low all night, & most of the next day. Be sure & put the ham bones in the bottom of the crock pot.

If you can't do crockpot, follow Jaybird in her directions. You do not have to soak them if you are using a crockpot, but be sure & rinse all dried beans good. They sometimes have dirt & rocks in them where they grew (hey they came out of a field ya know lol) I don't put all that extra stuff in mine, just beans & ham. Oh, & you need to keep about 2 inches of water above your beans at all times.If you cook them on the stove, it will take about 3 to 4 hours, if you have presoaked. If you forget to presoak, put your beans in a pot cover them with enough water so that the water is about 4 inches above the beans, (they will triple in size, so keep this in mind when getting ready to fix them) Now bring them to a hard boil, & let them boil for 5 minutes. Now take them off the heat, put a lid on & let site 1 hour. No peeking. At the end of one hour, you can cook as usual, But first, rinse them through a colander, do this after soaking overnight also. Don't ever cook them in the soak water, you will be able to see those bubbles all around? Those are those horrible bubbles that get into your stomach & become.........GGGGGGGAAAAAAAASSSSSS!!!!! My dh could not eat beans until I read about doing this.

eeigh33
08-13-2003, 08:31 PM
cathych...one more question...do you mix up the jiffy mix according to the box? or do you dredge the tomatoes in the dry mix?

ahippiechic
08-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Ya know, I grew up on this stuff & hated it & wondered why we had to eat it all the time, LOL! But it sure does sound good now! :)

Kyla Kym
08-13-2003, 11:40 PM
I never have let a pot of beans soak.

I rinse and sort through them good. Put them in a large pot so I can put plenty of water in. I put in the ham bone and add sugar to the pot. The sugar gives pinto's the best flavor you ever tasted. I put a lid on cockeyed so that steam can escape, then boil them fast and hard. I add the salt when it's about half way done. If your pot is big enough you won't have to add more water during the hard boil, and they will turn out perfect with a thick soup and lots of it. I never buy cheap dry beans either. They do taste different from the more expensive ones. This is the way my mamaw taught me to make them. :)

Green tomatoes have a bad habit of soaking up grease like you wouldn't believe. We have been eating them allot this summer and I like to cut up a purple onion and fry with them. I've also noticed that the longer you can cook them the better they taste. I also love them with ketchup! ;)

Char
08-14-2003, 04:17 AM
;) Fried green tomatoes RULE !

Flour, just plain flour, is all you need ! Slice the tomatoes THIN, pat them on both sides on a plate of flour, fry them quick and hard in oil, the browner the better (makes 'em crispy), without burning (I personally like 'em kinda burnt too). PUT THE SALT TO 'EM ! Salt and pepper... man, I am making myself hungry ! I even have LOTS of green tomatoes out in the garden !!! Looks like I will be making some too ! ;)

Hey, however you make 'em, ENJOY 'EM !!!

(*** hint... be sure to "clean" your beans well, we always called it "sorting", taking out any bad ones, and, you will, on occasion, find little rocks in them (you would NOT want to bite down on one of those)! LOL... just be sure to "sort" them before the soaking)

(LOL, this is for "soup beans and ham right ???" Ok, I saw Kyla mention pinto beans... I only use "great northern" or "navy" beans with ham, pinto for chili. )

Char
08-14-2003, 04:21 AM
the longer you can cook them the better they taste.

I agree Kyla, I like 'em just almost burnt ! YUMMMMM... lol ;)

Quaker_Parrots
08-14-2003, 05:04 AM
Hehehehe, Raven, I added parmesean to my green tomatoes, the last time I fried them(along with Lawry's and pepper, and a little regular salt) makes them sooooo good.

justbeachy
08-14-2003, 06:02 AM
I had beans and ham for dinner last night. I usually make a pot of rice and we eat them over that like soup. I agree with everyone who said to sort and soak your beans before using them and toss the water. Enjoy your meal. I prefer big limas.

Tadbit
08-14-2003, 06:37 AM
eeigh, I make my green tamaters like Jaybird, and my beans are very similiar to hers as well. The only thing missing besides the cornbread is the fried potatoes, preferrably sweet potatoe fries. I like dipping my tomatoes in Ranch dressing or dip. Yummmm, so can I come over and eat some with ya??? :)

dangerousfem
08-14-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by texasgander
ok, I'm strange....I like ketchup with my fried green tomatoes!!!!

me too.. a little salt, and some ketchup..mmmm sounds so good right now...lol

Maeryn
08-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Oh, yum...I haven't had fried green tomatoes in ages!

I had a friend who was from upstate New York, and his sister came out to visit. Somehow fried green tomatoes came up in a conversation. Her eyes got really big and she said, "You mean people really eat those? I thought it was just something they made up for the movie!" LOL

feliciac
08-14-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Maeryn
Oh, yum...I haven't had fried green tomatoes in ages!

I had a friend who was from upstate New York, and his sister came out to visit. Somehow fried green tomatoes came up in a conversation. Her eyes got really big and she said, "You mean people really eat those? I thought it was just something they made up for the movie!" LOL

LOL, when I lived in Southern Cali, my friends couldn't believe people actually ate them either!!! My family is southern and so I've always eaten them. I thought everyone else was strange for not wanting to try them!!!

Hmmm, wish I could get ahold of some green tomatoes.

Maeryn
08-14-2003, 02:59 PM
I'm surprised the stores don't carry at least a small supply. Sometimes we can find them at the Farmer's Market, but not very often. Looks like I'm going to have to start trying to grow some tomato plants.