PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Coach Killed in Car Wreck

Lisa03
08-11-2003, 06:59 PM
MINNEAPOLIS -- Herb Brooks, who coached the U.S. hockey team to the "Miracle on Ice" victory over the Soviet Union at the 1980 Olympics, died Monday in a car wreck. He was 66.

Brooks led that team that won the gold medal in Lake Placid, N.Y., at the height of the Cold War. He returned to lead the 2002 U.S. Olympic hockey team to a silver medal.

Herb Brooks won Olympic gold and silver, three NCAA titles and 219 NHL games.
The Hall of Famer was killed when his minivan rolled over north of the Twin Cities near where Interstate 35 splits toward Minneapolis and St. Paul, police said. The weather didn't appear to be a factor.

State Patrol Lt. Chuck Walerius said the minivan veered to the right onto the grassy area, then it appeared as if Brooks overcorrected his steering, causing his van to roll. He was found about 40 yards from the vehicle, dead at the scene.

Minnesota Department of Public Safety officials said there was no evidence Brooks was wearing a seat belt.

Police weren't aware of any pre-existing health problems and said there were no signs to indicate that alcohol was a factor in the crash.

"It seems like all the great innovators die young," said Ken Morrow, a defenseman on the 1980 team and now a scout for the New York Islanders. "Coach may have been the greatest innovator the sport has ever had."

Brooks was behind the bench when the Americans pulled off one of the greatest upsets ever, beating the mighty Soviets with a squad of mostly college players.

Brooks is survived by his wife, Patti, and two children.

catssass
08-11-2003, 08:15 PM
He'll be sadly missed...

tootiemae
08-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Awwwww, thats sad news. I remember watching "the miracle on ice" and that was long before I was ever hooked on hockey. He just coached the 2002 Olympic team. This is a great loss for the world of hockey.

Widgetsx3
08-11-2003, 09:23 PM
I saw this earlier. I still get goosebumps when I watch any replays of the games from the Olympics. I remember the games well. How very sad this is.

GeThang
08-11-2003, 09:42 PM
So sad and tragic :(