PDA

View Full Version : Your Kids Are Listening...

Ladytiger
08-11-2003, 01:57 PM
and repeating what they hear!
I was outside getting some air and reading. There were kids playing not too far from me so I couldn't help but hear this conversation between a little girl and a little boy. I don't even think they were 5 years old.
They were walking around with their arm around each other. Then the little boy said something I didn't hear. It made the little girl mad, and she said "oh, just go ahead and be stupid, like all mans are"! He just looked at her. The she said "if you don't do it, then I will just break up with you and leave for good"! He said, "fine, you already have broken up with me (rolls eyes) four times in the past 2 weeks". She says "yeah, well my mother told me that you weren't any good anyway, I should have just listened to HER". He asks, "so are you going to go? Mikey is waiting". She takes the baby doll that she had and threw it at him and said "sure, you take this damn baby, it's not yours anyway"..and walks away.

All I kept thinking is what those poor kids hear on a daily basis, to play that out.

Danny
08-11-2003, 02:19 PM
not only is the content scarey - but the way the kids are learning to deal with problems by mimicking is even scarier

KitaKat
08-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Oh my.... :( oh my... :(

Wimzik
08-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Wow, that is quite a conversation for 5 year olds:eek:

Cowgirlie_in_Tennessee
08-11-2003, 03:12 PM
I think I'd be calling someone to check that situation out.

Tadbit
08-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Danny
not only is the content scarey - but the way the kids are learning to deal with problems by mimicking is even scarier

Wow, I agree. I'm dealing with some stuff from my grandkids too like that, but not to that extent. Weird how when you try to teach them something, it takes so long, but when they hear things like that, it really sticks in their minds. I really feel sorry for those kids. Really makes you wonder. :(

Ladytiger
08-11-2003, 03:29 PM
Well, the parents of the little girl just moved here. The little boy is a sweetheart-not sure where he heard of that from, but his dad is a single guy (all the breakups). I told his dad, he got a good laugh out of it, then had a talk with his son about dirty laundry.

GeThang
08-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Yikes, when I was that age, I don't remember anythingto that magnitude. Yikes!

suziebee20
08-11-2003, 04:04 PM
That's really bad! :eek: I remember one of our neighbors, a young mother, would get frustrated with her daughter and put her hands on her hips and say "You get your @$$ over here right now. One of our other neighbors kept telling her that her 3 year old was going to pick it up, and one day she did :eek:. She put her hands on her hips and said it just like her mom to a friend when he got upset at her. We had a good laugh about it too, but her mom stopped saying it!

FreeIs4Me
08-11-2003, 04:58 PM
I know I try to watch myself with my 4 year old.
If she catches us swearing, we put a quarter into the "bad word pig" (piggy bank). If she says it, she has to take a nickel out of HER bank & put it in the "bad word pig" LOL! Thankfully, 99% of the time, she is just repeating what we say "Why did you say ____ (fill in the blank)?" Of course we answer "Because we wanted to put a quarter in your bank." LOL!! :D

We told her when the banks are full, we would take her to Disney. Now she has incentive to be good herself & REALLY REALLY good at catching us so she gets more money.

This helps us remind ourselves to watch what we say & do cuz we don't want to chance what she might try to repeat!

As it is, sometimes I think I gave birth to a Parrot instead of a little girl, LOL! :rolleyes: :D :eek: