PDA

View Full Version : Suspect shoots daughter, deputy and self

hotwheelstx
08-10-2003, 10:49 PM
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- A man accused in a double homicide here shot a West Virginia sheriff's deputy, his own 18-year-old daughter and himself before being captured Saturday night, police said.

John Richard Mayhew was in critical condition with a chest wound and his daughter died in a hospital. The deputy was shot in the chest but was expected to recover.

Mayhew, 35, had been on the run since late Thursday. Police said he shot and killed his former wife and her fiance, then took his daughter hostage. Mayhew was charged with two counts of aggravated murder and kidnapping, Columbus homicide Detective Kathie Justice said.

On Saturday in Greenbrier County, West Virginia, the deputy was shot after pulling Mayhew over on a routine traffic stop, Justice said.

A chase ended when Mayhew shot his daughter, Kristy McKibben, and turned the gun on himself, Justice said.

Mayhew was flown to Roanoke Memorial Hospital in Roanoke, Virginia. McKibben died at a West Virginia hospital before she could be flown to Roanoke, said police Sgt. Dana Norman. She had been shot in her upper body.

Tammy McKibben, 34, and Frank Rigsby, 39, were shot to death in the home they shared with McKibben's four children.

Mayhew served an eight-year prison term for kidnapping and aggravated burglary in a 1992 incident involving another former wife, court records show. Prosecutors said he broke into the woman's home and forced her into a car at gunpoint, freeing her four hours later when she promised to rekindle the romance.

DAVESBABYDOLL
08-11-2003, 04:17 AM
what could posses a parent to kill their own child...:(

ImaGApeach
08-11-2003, 04:30 AM
That is so sad and scary! I'll just never understand stuff like this!

Tracy'sMom
08-11-2003, 05:13 AM
That is sad. This time He needs to stay in prison and not get out. I think He should have last time but that's just my opinion.

Tasha405
08-11-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Putermommy
That is sad. This time He needs to stay in prison and not get out. I think He should have last time but that's just my opinion. I agree!